Memory Lane

maqroll

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my favourite german word comes from that

whereas we as a general rule put "ed" on the end of a word to make it past tense they put "ge" at the start of a word so for example buy is kaufe bought is gekauft

somehow its ended up as google and then past tense is gegoogled, they've messed it up, they apply past tense to an english word that is already in past tense

Its a shame Tfuke isn't a German brand

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Just be grateful it didn’t happen with Trombones or you might be playing a Greenhoe or a Haag 😂

Wow - You must have been mooneying some of that!

OT but I dealt with Gary Greenhoe as I used to play his horns. Complete nutcase - moved to another manufacturer after that. (maybe one for the boring thread....)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bickster said:

When they were making stuff on Blue Peter, they had to refer to it as sticky tape and it always sounded stupid

And they had double sided sticky tape on tap I don't think I ever saw any in real life till the 2000's.  The cost of it in the 70's would probably have made my parents piss themselves laughing if I had asked for some so I could make a Saturn V rocket. 

Portakabin is a good one. 

I think iPod knocked on the door of being the generic term for an MP3 player.  Ironically Apple would not like that.  They're more interested in differentiating their products from the exactly the same other products. 

On 22/03/2020 at 09:26, useless said:

I used to love to play frisbee outside, I had no one to play with so just used throw it up and down the garden running from one end to the other. I don't think this is related to that but also remember at one stage asking for a boomerang, which I didn't get.

So mine was probably a 'flying disc' rather than a frisbee, which is a registered name of the Wham-O toy company.

Edited by useless
I'm sure I must have been enjoying myself', but 'love to play' was probably an exaggeration.

22 hours ago, bickster said:

When they were making stuff on Blue Peter, they had to refer to it as sticky tape and it always sounded stupid

I was too busy watching Janet Ellis' arse to take notice of the crap they were cobbling together (OK, it might have been Leslie Judd as well, oldepharts).

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I was too busy watching Janet Ellis' arse to take notice of the crap they were cobbling together (OK, it might have been Leslie Judd as well, oldepharts).

Who are you trying to kid, it was Valerie Singleton in your day :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 23:32, bickster said:

We used to call them a Breville in the same way a vaccuum cleaner is always a Hoover.

West Midlanders are defiant with this one though.  Always called a vac for me growing up.  Didn't really hear it regularly called a hoover until I went to uni.

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Aga (solid fuel cookers) 

Biro (ballpoint pens) 

Plasticene (modelling clay) 

Airfix kits (any plastic model kits) 

Filofax (loose-leaf diaries) 

A few more

Bubble wrap

Jet Ski

Taser

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

West Midlanders are defiant with this one though.  Always called a vac for me growing up.  Didn't really hear it regularly called a hoover until I went to uni.

It was always a Hoover in ours but as we were Welsh living in Brum and Hoovers were made in Methyr (my god parents worked there as it happens) this is possibly why

Despite there being a near duopoly I would think a vast proportion would still ask for a coke? 

I would think hardly anyone would order a Pepsi unless they know for a fact that is the specific brand in the establishment they were in. 

It's Bacardi and Coke isn't it,  it isn't Bacardi and Pepsi or Barcardi and Cola. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Despite there being a near duopoly I would think a vast proportion would still ask for a coke? 

I would think hardly anyone would order a Pepsi unless they know for a fact that is the specific brand in the establishment they were in. 

It's Bacardi and Coke isn't it,  it isn't Bacardi and Pepsi or Barcardi and Cola. 

I was in complete disagreement with you up till the end. I order diet cola, but it is always Bacardi and diet coke. 

Â