Memory Lane

maqroll

6 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Subbuteo did an astro turf pitch !?!

....and there was me, back in the day, smoothing out my subby baize pitch on the front room carpet, desperately trying to make the sidelines non wavy or bendy, but failing every time. 

51+ISy0CBOL._AC_.jpg

The only way to play...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I occasionally get that, too. I wonder if it's a comfort thing (for me at least)? -  a kind of "I was happy then" thought that turns into vivid recollections of a time and place. It happens for 3 or 4 locations I've lived in the past. And it always gets to the thing you mention - the insufficient detail bits. And that's where it usually stops, sort of half consciously.

Once or twice, the next day, I've even gone to the google thing where you drop the little yellow man on the map and can see the streets and clear up the missing data.

Yeah, I'll probably do that, but there have obviously been loads of changes since the period I'm remembering (1960s). In fact the flats I grew up in have been demolished. :(

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Subbuteo did an astro turf pitch !?!

....and there was me, back in the day, smoothing out my subby baize pitch on the front room carpet, desperately trying to make the sidelines non wavy or bendy, but failing every time. 

I never had the astro pitch but my original 70s pitch was expertly affixed to a bit of chipboard by my old man. He also put walls around it too so the ball wouldn’t go fizzing under the sideboard whenever it went out of play.
Trouble was the walls were too close to the touch line so we just adapted the rules and decided it only went out of play if the ball managed to leap the wall. It was great for rebounding the ball or the player off to outmanoeuvre your opponents player.
I won every home game in my youth as none of my friends were able to cope with the walls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I never had the astro pitch but my original 70s pitch was expertly affixed to a bit of chipboard by my old man. He also put walls around it too so the ball wouldn’t go fizzing under the sideboard whenever it went out of play.
Trouble was the walls were too close to the touch line so we just adapted the rules and decided it only went out of play if the ball managed to leap the wall. It was great for rebounding the ball or the player off to outmanoeuvre your opponents player.
I won every home game in my youth as none of my friends were able to cope with the walls. 

Did you know there was Subbuteo 5-a-side?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly one for the boring thread but i have finally solved a question that's been bugging me for the past few years:

It's 1979, xmas school holidays and I'm "revising" for my mock O level exams. In a desperate attempt to distract me from my studies, i start channel surfing....well, three of them...and i come across a teen soap drama set in California where all the cool and beautiful CA teenagers went through their angst ridden youth. I get back to school and find out it's the hit tv show of most of us 5th formers and we've all been watching it. 

Can i remember the programme name now ? Of course i bleedin' can't apart from it had a bar in it where all the teens hung out, called Rick's Place. I look up Rick's Place on t'internet and can only find references to the movie Casablanca. 

Then......THEN.... i remember the guy who played Rick (Lorenzo Lamas) and within 5 mins of searching i find my holy grail - California Fever !!

So i load up a dodgy YouTube episode and settle back to relive that part of my youth...and then after 2 minutes of watching, i now realise what an absolutely sh*te programme it was ☹️

Another tv prog of that era was an itv/central effort called "Going out".....more teen angst but UK this time. Starred Andrew Paul (he of The Bill fame) and i remember one episode where he got to feel a girl's jubblies as a bet, or something like that.

Happy days.....

• 1 month later...

Was having a clear out in the loft today , found an Apple training manual from sometime in the late 80’s ... the course would help make me knowledgeable to talk to customers about Data communications 

7CDD2CC0-843A-472F-898E-76BE4EFAFDA2.jpeg

57115B06-498E-456F-A0E5-AE8C83228E26.jpeg

• Like 2

My dad glued the subbuteo pitch to a large board of mdf. Was brilliant. Although me and my little brother were weird, we collected the teams but kept them on the shelf on display all neatly and played with the 90’s big head Corinthians things instead flicking the ball around with the green base stand. Was great! 

• 6 months later...

I woke up one night when I was younger and wondered to myself 'being alive is the closest I'll get to knowing what it feels like to be a ghost', so I declared myself a ghost then. I also remember I looked out the window into the night as if that was the first time I'd ever seen the world.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember as a child we went on holiday in someone's static caravan and I got in trouble for not respecting the property because I didn't clean the sandwicher after I used it, I was confused because I thought the owner would want us to enjoy ourselves rather than cleaning, I didn't even know how to clean a sandwicher, surely you can't put it in the washing up because it's an electrical appliance.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember as a child we went on holiday in someone's static caravan and I got in trouble for not respecting the property because I didn't clean the sandwicher after I used it, I was confused because I thought the owner would want us to enjoy ourselves rather than cleaning, I didn't even know how to clean a sandwicher, surely you can't put it in the washing up because it's an electrical appliance.

What the hell is a sandwicher? 

• Like 3

Â