Memory Lane

maqroll

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@maqroll  we’ve all done things we regret.  

End of an era tomorrow. My grandad moves out of his home of 50+ years. The home will be put up for sale to help fund his care. Had some great memories there and it’s mad how much the street has changed in terms of people moving out/in. I guess that’s life though. Spent my childhood and a few years of my adult life there. I will admit it’s not been the same place since my gran died 9-10 year ago, but it holds some very found memories. Another chapter closed. 

Sad times.

Can I have his albums?

;)

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

End of an era tomorrow. My grandad moves out of his home of 50+ years. The home will be put up for sale to help fund his care. Had some great memories there and it’s mad how much the street has changed in terms of people moving out/in. I guess that’s life though. Spent my childhood and a few years of my adult life there. I will admit it’s not been the same place since my gran died 9-10 year ago, but it holds some very found memories. Another chapter closed. 

Sad isn't it, the house that your grandparents no doubt worked hard for has to be sold to fund end of life care. 

Better off not owning a property and letting the state pick up the bill. 

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sad isn't it, the house that your grandparents no doubt worked hard for has to be sold to fund end of life care. 

Better off not owning a property and letting the state pick up the bill. 

Yep, they paid the mortgage off years ago. Mortgages didn’t take a lifetime to pay off back then. House worth around £150k and he’s got a fair bit in the bank too. If he lives long enough they will have the lot. It’s shit but nowt can be done.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

When I was a little kid I went to the North End in Boston for a day with my aunt and mother and sister. At one point we were sitting in a park there killing time. There were these bums there in the park. One of them had a golf club, a driver. He'd sneak up on pigeons and swat them to death. It was disturbing so we left the park.

Edited by maqroll

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

When I was a little kid I went to the North End in Boston for a day with my aunt and mother and sister. At one point we were sitting in a park there killing time. There were these bums there in the park. One of them had a golf club, a driver. He'd sneak up on pigeons and swat them to death. It was disturbing so we left the park.

U OK hun? ;)

What with the crab incidents you're sounding a little morbid.

• Haha 1

I often wonder if the scare stories that we were told at school were real or apocryphal.

There was one about the swing bridge off Lifford Lane where apparently some kids were playing with it and a girl got stuck in it and crushed a bit. We were told shed never be able to have children.

There was another one about a boy who died after messing about on the back of a milk float. 

I'm guessing the teachers wouldn't make these things up just to scare us but even at the age of 5 or 6, it was very effective.

21 hours ago, choffer said:

I often wonder if the scare stories that we were told at school were real or apocryphal.

There was one about the swing bridge off Lifford Lane where apparently some kids were playing with it and a girl got stuck in it and crushed a bit. We were told shed never be able to have children.

There was another one about a boy who died after messing about on the back of a milk float. 

I'm guessing the teachers wouldn't make these things up just to scare us but even at the age of 5 or 6, it was very effective.

My kids teachers have been telling them about burglars (probably though stories) and now my kid is really paranoid about us getting robbed.  It's annoying. 

21 hours ago, choffer said:

Girl I went to school with had two wombs. I always though the second must be a bit redundant but you’d be laughing if one got crushed in a swing bridge and still had a spare knocking about.

• 4 weeks later...

As children we used to know an old man that would write us letters, but he didn't know how to write so just made patterns on the page that looked like hand-writing.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I remember, quite vividly, the period in my life where I used to watch football. I’d spend all week talking about formations, who should play in midfield and why my team concedes so many goals. I’d look towards each game with hopeful anticipation, praying for three points, to then only the receive harsh disappointment of another defeat. 

There was a player named Wesley, he was something of an enigma. He rarely scored, or ran around, or pressed, or passed, or had a shot on target. But he often fell over. We loved him as one of our own... aye, those were the days... 

• Like 4

Remember back around the new year when we thought the big thing this year would be the war between the US and Iran breaking out? Good times as it turns out.

• Like 2

Ahhh remember the millennium bug and the shortage of furbies? Halcyon days

Seriously though, to be 18 again in the mid 90's. Full of hope and expectation. Now i'm waiting for the zombie apocalypse while rationing toilet paper :( 

As Blur stated, modern life is rubbish

• Like 1

Â