Memory Lane

maqroll

On 23/03/2020 at 11:23, choffer said:

The best toy we had growing up was a dart. No dart board, just a dart.

I remember playing at a mates house and they had some of those massive garden darts. 

The game was my mate would stand at the top of his slide throwing the darts towards me and I had to see how close I was brave enough to get. 

I got close enough for him to chuck one of the darts right into my arm. 

These are the things I am talking about. 

bc6c6efec658478f55e04d03e2218030.jpg

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, Xela said:

So, what toy lines did you play with as a kid? What was your favourite? Do kids even play with toys anymore? Or is it all computer games now? 

The most memorable were the Star Wars and He Man figures. I was in the He Man fan club at one point, I remember writing in to it, asking what food Battlecat ate. I still remember the sheer joy of receiving the return letter, complete with stickers and the hugely disappointing answer to my question.

What did Battlecat eat? 

Cat food! :(

Other toys I remember having were the Ghostbusters figures, and one of my favourites - Micro Machines. I loved these, especially my prized Lamborghini Countach... which I tried to paint gold, and ruined. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I know I've mentioned it before, but i've been helping my Dad catalogue some of my old toys and eBaying them. When doing it, had a few nostalgia pangs remembering playing with them when i was young. I've kept the Star Wars figures and started to add one or two originals to my collection via eBay. I've only got about 25-30 (perhaps one for the Hobbies thread)

Made me look at what toy lines I was into. The main ones were: 

Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, Thundercats, M*A*S*K, Zoids and TMNT. After the turtles, I got into consoles at about 11 years old and that was it for 'toys'. It was all Street Fighter II and Super Mario then! 

I've also found odd other toys as well; A-team figures, the Knight Rider car, a solitary Action Force figure and a few Transformers and Go-Bots.

So, what toy lines did you play with as a kid? What was your favourite? Do kids even play with toys anymore? Or is it all computer games now? 

Similar to yours, He-Man, Thundercats, Turtles, Star Wars, Ghostbusters and WWF.  Then onto NES, SNES and Megadrive.  I’m biased but the late 80s/early 90s was by far the best time to grow up.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The most memorable were the Star Wars and He Man figures. I was in the He Man fan club at one point, I remember writing in to it, asking what food Battlecat ate. I still remember the sheer joy of receiving the return letter, complete with stickers and the hugely disappointing answer to my question.

What did Battlecat eat? 

Cat food! :(

Other toys I remember having were the Ghostbusters figures, and one of my favourites - Micro Machines. I loved these, especially my prized Lamborghini Countach... which I tried to paint gold, and ruined. 

What martial art was Panthro a master of and what rank does he hold?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

got close enough for him to chuck one of the darts right into my arm. 

That happened to me in our school 6th form common room. A mate playing darts, for some reason turned round and chucked one, intending to narrowly miss me - but he was a crap shot, and it went straight into my forearm, right up to the hilt. He went white and apologised profusely. It made quite a sound as it went in, like hitting a plank of wood, but the odd thing was it didn't really hurt, or even bleed very much. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

So, what toy lines did you play with as a kid? What was your favourite?

Shared with my brother, I had - 

A subbuteo set. This included a single stand, a couple of floodlights, scoreboard etc. Obviously had some version of the villa team.

A scalextric. Just the standard track, two cars. No loop the loops or anything.

Lego, various sorts. I remember a castle/fort thing, might have been Robin Hood themed.

Wild west style guns, the ones with the noisy caps. We had the ghostbuster backpacks with the yellow foam/electric beam. And the thundercats sword. 

A TONNE of wrestler action figures. The teenage mutant ninja turtles, that sort of thing.

After that, it was SNES, then after that (probably around the age of 10/11) it was mainly playing football and music. And so concluded the toy playing chapter, until having a kid myself, which leads me onto....

Do kids even play with toys anymore? Or is it all computer games now? 

To answer your question, yes without any doubt in my mind, kids are still playing with toys. My little girl has an Amazon tablet her mum bought her, she barely uses it when she’s at mine, it just stays in her bag. Apparently she uses it a lot at her mum’s.

For current girls toys I can confirm that there are many dolls available.

So many, many, many dolls.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

In light of the above post, we're still having problems identifying the following figures:

The first figures are small  - about 3". The second is about 6" - don't have the exact dimensions as I haven't got them to hand. I'd assume they are 80's figures. 

@Chindie @GarethRDR @Ginko @wazzap24 - any idea chaps? Thinking maybe they'e cropped up in a comic over the years? Cheers. 

j8R9d0t.jpeg

pmahYNr.jpeg

Can't help on these unfortunately. Before my time.

As for toy lines from my youth... I had a few TMNT figures, I'd have been on the tail end of the original popularity of them. I was getting them when they were running out of ideas so had stuff line TMNT crossed with Transformers, or TMNT but they're samurai... I also had some Ghostbusters stuff (mostly off the cartoon iirc), a couple of Power Rangers bits (I got the Megazord for Christmas when I was about 5 I think...), and the odd Batman figure (from the animated series). Bizarrely, I also had a big Terminator figure, from T2. That film came out when I was 3. My parents thought it was good to get a 4 year old this

wterm212-01.jpg

I still have it somewhere. I'm 32.

It's also made me want this for donkeys years

hot-toys-t800-1.jpg

Sadly very unlikely to be :(

Otherwise I was a car kid. I had tonnes of cars, everything from Matchbox style stuff through to full on diecast models in 1/18 scale iirc. Still have some of them.

Oh and some Lego of course.

I got into big into games when I was about 7 or 8 and didn't really look back from there. Nowadays it's games and expensive figures >_> .

• Like 2

On 27/06/2019 at 23:20, useless said:

Sometimes I will remember something from a long time ago, that I haven't thought about in a long time, and I will wonder if it's the last time I will ever remember that memory, and then wonder what other memories I have, but will never recall again. Each memory has to have a last time you ever consiously remember it.

Very profound. However... 

depressed the simpsons GIF

One of the most depressing posts I've read in a while. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Shared with my brother, I had - 

A subbuteo set. This included a single stand, a couple of floodlights, scoreboard etc. Obviously had some version of the villa team.

A scalextric. Just the standard track, two cars. No loop the loops or anything.

Lego, various sorts. I remember a castle/fort thing, might have been Robin Hood themed.

Never had subbueto or scalextric. I guess as an only child, my folks decided it wouldn't be worth it! 

I had Lego. Just the loose bricks but would spend hours making building and vehicles out of it. 

Top Trumps was another thing I had... used to play my Dad. Generally I liked the car ones. 

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Otherwise I was a car kid. I had tonnes of cars, everything from Matchbox style stuff through to full on diecast models in 1/18 scale iirc. Still have some of them.

Oh and some Lego of course.

I got into big into games when I was about 7 or 8 and didn't really look back from there. Nowadays it's games and expensive figures >_> .

Ahhh yes, cars! I was a proper car nerd. I had quite a lot of matchbox cars and a few dinky and corgi ones as well. They were one of the first things to get eBayed. They were all battered and scratched so didn't get a huge amount for them. 

I used to bug my Mom to buy me Autocar magazine as a kid! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Similar to yours, He-Man, Thundercats, Turtles, Star Wars, Ghostbusters and WWF.  Then onto NES, SNES and Megadrive.  I’m biased but the late 80s/early 90s was by far the best time to grow up.

Golden era for toys IMO. 

I remember the Ghostbusters ones. They were the same time as the Turtles and I was always far more of a fan of the reptiles. 

I think I was too old for the WWF figures. I was into the wrestling and owned some Wrestlemania VHS videos but never had the figures.

Also had a few of these figures (but not the ring)

qjoZzT8.jpeg

Edited by Xela

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That happened to me in our school 6th form common room. A mate playing darts, for some reason turned round and chucked one, intending to narrowly miss me - but he was a crap shot, and it went straight into my forearm, right up to the hilt. He went white and apologised profusely. It made quite a sound as it went in, like hitting a plank of wood, but the odd thing was it didn't really hurt, or even bleed very much. 

When we were in Scouts we were using Air Rifles.  My brother and a couple of other lads went over to the park which was over the railway tracks from the Scout HQ grounds. 

When they were walking back whoever had the air rifle thought it would be fun to shoot over their heads without any concept of the trajectory curve over that distance. 

It went straight through by Brothers top lip and hit a tooth. 

An inch higher and it would have been his eye. 

Who said no one ever got hurt by the lack of health and safety in those days? 

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, the one that went into my arm didn't bleed much.  I don't think my mum ever noticed it or knew what happened.  I don't even recall it bothering me then but I would probably totally lose my shit if it happened now 😁

Edited by sidcow

Possibly the best toy ever invented. My brother had one but not me. 

a8b8cc60d90466b744a2a68265d73f2d.jpg

This was the thing I wanted more than anything on earth at one time and Santa did managed to get me one at Christmas one year. 

• Like 2

Â