Memory Lane

maqroll

21 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Awesome, reminds me of the Ibiza holidays too, when Ibiza was Ibiza.

I've mentioned it before, the nightclub experience we remember, I'm not sure exists any more? More late night bars now and pubs with later licences. 

Things evolve don't they? For the better, i'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I've mentioned it before, the nightclub experience we remember, I'm not sure exists any more? More late night bars now and pubs with later licences. 

Things evolve don't they? For the better, i'm not so sure. 

It don't mate. I was there at the Dome 2 opening night in Birmingham.  Was made into one of the best clubs in the UK I believe, in the 90's it was a amazing night out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It don't mate. I was there at the Dome 2 opening night in Birmingham.  Was made into one of the best clubs in the UK I believe, in the 90's it was a amazing night out.

Spent many a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night there! Circo bar first then over to the Dome.

All got a bit shit towards the end though. Remember when a kid drove into the people queueing outside? A bouncer was killed. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Spent many a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night there! Circo bar first then over to the Dome.

All got a bit shit towards the end though. Remember when a kid drove into the people queueing outside? A bouncer was killed. 

We used to do the Thursday Friday Saturday's too, central park for us first or Bizi Lizzies. Your right though did get shite towards the end.   I think the Dome lost its best dj's and started getting the idiots in there. It was like the end of a era.

• 6 months later...

I remember this in the games cupboard

?bg=FFFFFF

But never seeing anyone ever play it

Also remember there was a compendium board games thing with these in

Spiel_Mikado.jpg

I always wondered how you played a game with them, apparently they're Mikado sticks

Edited by useless

On 09/04/2022 at 23:11, foreveryoung said:

We used to do the Thursday Friday Saturday's too, central park for us first or Bizi Lizzies. Your right though did get shite towards the end.   I think the Dome lost its best dj's and started getting the idiots in there. It was like the end of a era.

Tin tins and wobble 

• Like 2

I’d love to go back and re-do from when I was 17 to about 21 knowing what I know now.

I was borderline depressed, hugely introverted with no confidence and just kept to myself. A pretty sad and lonely chap on the inside back then.

Feels like a lost time of my life the early to mid 2000’s. Best time for videogames though, GameCube, Xbox and PS2! 

14 hours ago, useless said:

I remember this in the games cupboard

?bg=FFFFFF

But never seeing anyone ever play it

Also remember there was a compendium board games thing with these in

Spiel_Mikado.jpg

I always wondered how you played a game with them, apparently they're Mikado sticks

Both ends are pointed.The idear was to press down on the point to make the stick lift up a bit.You then tried to pick up the stick and remove it without disturbing any of the other sticks.The first to clear all the sticks wins........ Not as simple as it sounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I fondly remember ( when I was at primary school ) about 12/14 of us used to sit against the shop wall of the newsagent on a thursday at 4pm waiting for the delivery man to deliver this weeks "Tiger"comic. (The one with Roy of the Rovers,Billy Bunter,Our Ernie,etc ) as soon as they arrived we all rushed into the newsagents to get our copy and sat outside again reading it.

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’d love to go back and re-do from when I was 17 to about 21 knowing what I know now.

I was borderline depressed, hugely introverted with no confidence and just kept to myself. A pretty sad and lonely chap on the inside back then.

Feels like a lost time of my life the early to mid 2000’s. Best time for videogames though, GameCube, Xbox and PS2! 

I'd love to go back to my late teens / early 20's again. I had the time of my life... I just want to do it again and do it harder (kw)

I know its probably rose tinted spectacles but **** hell, wasn't the world a more positive place in the late 90s / early 00s. I guess 9/11 started to change things. 

I've said before, western society peaked at that time. Been on a downward spiral into a dystopian nightmare* ever since. 

* maybe a bit OTT but please allow for artistic licence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Memories ...

Growing up in deepest, darkest Kings Heath, I remember we had lodgers early on.

Tant (aunt) Ula (I could not say Louize as a three-year-old) and Toni (I thought his surname was Bacci, as in the Italian).  Anyway, Toni was apparently a football coach. He had coached in Hungary and Portugal. I remember him tying a lace to a football which turned into a medicine ball when left out in the rain. It was so I could hone my lack of skills. He died in about 1960 or a bit earlier. Consequently, in the 1966 world cup, the family cheered for Hungary and Portugal as well as England.

Anyway, legend has it he had been some kind of coach at Villa. Probably some third coach to the cone layer-out. Possibly part of the reason I support Villa today. 

When I google Bacci as a Hungarian name, it just doesn't compute. Anyway, tried doing googling Bacci phonetically today. It returned bácsi, which means uncle in Hungarian. He was not my uncle, and his wife Ula (Aunt) was no relative either. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I remember being in the dining room playing snakes and ladders on the table and it was frosty outside in the garden, a cat came to the patio door, a relative of mine gave it a drink, and an older relative came and said if you doing that it will keep coming back for more.

3 hours ago, useless said:

I remember being in the dining room playing snakes and ladders on the table and it was frosty outside in the garden, a cat came to the patio door, a relative of mine gave it a drink, and an older relative came and said if you doing that it will keep coming back for more.

Was it Vodka? 

Â