Keith Wyness

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Saw on the Sky sports paper round up that David Weir has joined us as a Scout ?

presumably that's a Wyness recruitment ? 

Steve Round's I would have thought.  Might have been at Everton together but I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone watched the avtv clip of him? Its following a match day experience for Mr Wyness. I have to say I have been impressed with him so far- he appears to know what he is talking about.  Keen on talking to fan groups and again discussed redevelopment in and around Villa Park. Sounds all very interesting,

42 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Has anyone watched the avtv clip of him? Its following a match day experience for Mr Wyness. I have to say I have been impressed with him so far- he appears to know what he is talking about.  Keen on talking to fan groups and again discussed redevelopment in and around Villa Park. Sounds all very interesting,

But can he appoint a good manager when he sees one?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So far been 10x better than fox

Not quite sure how you've got to that conclusion?

We've spent a shitload of money on players who aren't good enough / up for it and have achieved nothing other than playing terrible football all season. 

I'd give both of them a 2/10 to be honest.

If Bruce doesn't get us up next year than Wyness needs to go too imo. This shouldn't be that difficult given our resources and playing staff.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Not quite sure how you've got to that conclusion?

We've spent a shitload of money on players who aren't good enough / up for it and have achieved nothing other than being largely playing terrible football all season. 

If Bruce doesn't get us up next year than Wyness needs to go too imo. This shouldn't be that difficult given our resources and playing staff.

Yes, massive overspend followed by significant belt tightening, seems a bit familiar.

• Like 3

Just now, PieFacE said:

Not quite sure how you've jumped to that conclusion?

We've spent a shitload of money on players who aren't good enough / up for it and have achieved nothing other than being largely playing terrible football all season.

You think this squad isnt good enough? I completely disagree. its a very good side that hasn't been utilized properly thus far 

Also why should he sacked on what basis? RDM was a bad appointment but I feel that was more Xias choice. You cant blame Wyness for the appointment of Bruce, it was the best appointment at the time. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You think this squad isnt good enough? I completely disagree. its a very good side that hasn't been utilized properly thus far 

Also why should he sacked on what basis? RDM was a bad appointment but I feel that was more Xias choice. You cant blame Wyness for the appointment of Bruce, it was the best appointment at the time. 

Looking at the villa squad it should be good enough to get promotion automatically next season compared to others - the players manager and coaching staff have underperformed  - play to their best ability and we will be fine but Bruce needs to get the formation and system right from the off - the players are good enough .

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm more thinking the £12m on Ross, the £5m on Tish, the £15m on Hogan (guess we will see next season if this is a waste, so far it seems we signed a player who has had injury problems and shockingly he's continued to do so)...

I think other than that the squad is good enough, which is why it's so bemusing how terrible we've been this season. We shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as we are, and Bruce has us playing worse football than RDM did (albeit, we're a bit more resilient at the back).

If Bruce doesn't take us up next season then that reflects incredibly badly on Wyness. To be honest, Bruce's performance this season already reflects badly on Wyness as it's been pretty shocking. Though, next season is the one. 

I'm not sure Bruce was the best option at the time in all honesty. It was the "safe" choice. 

Edited by PieFacE

the squad is good enough however at the same time there is definitely an element of throwing money at who are believed to be the best players in the league rather than definitive proof of a better scouting system

for me he's got some big tests this summer, we're breaking away from the football league's TV plans, we have the main shirt sponsor to replace, we hopefully have another 4/5 partners lined up providing us with more revenue streams, will be interesting to see if keith / tony can still sell the club to sponsors or if we will simply go for Tony sticking a company name on the shirt and pumping cash in that way, i personally think wyness should be bringing some in still

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I'm more thinking the £12m on Ross, the £5m on Tish, the £15m on Hogan (guess we will see next season if this is a waste, so far it seems we signed a player who has had injury problems and shockingly he's continued to do so)...

I think other than that the squad is good enough, which is why it's so bemusing how terrible we've been this season. We shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as we are, and Bruce has us playing worse football than RDM did (albeit, we're a bit more resilient at the back).

If Bruce doesn't take us up next season then that reflects incredibly badly on Wyness. To be honest, Bruce's performance this season already reflects badly on Wyness as it's been pretty shocking. Though, next season is the one. 

I'm not sure Bruce was the best option at the time in all honesty. It was the "safe" choice. 

I agree the transfers you mentioned maybe we over paid, but like you rightly say as the case with hogan next season will be the time to judge these players. I would say we have been terrible in parts but not the whole season, we had huge catching up after the farce that is RDM. Some will argue we were close before January but it was never going to be easy under the circumstances we were in. 

The thing is I get why we went for Bruce he was available, has the CV so I don't think Wyness should be criticised for recruiting him. I do think bruce has no excuses for at least top 6 next year. The thing with Bruce for me he usually handles pressure well, so here is hoping...

Edited by Demitri_C

If it was Wyness who wanted Bruce because he thought in October "its still on and Bruce is the man" then thats ok by me as it seemed right at the time.

The problem I have is that there must have been a cut-off point where the board say, "didnt work - Plan B".

If we are now in a position where the consequences of Wyness sitting on a decision, waiting for the last chance Texico to rear its head before he calls, then he had to go.

The problem being, during the bad run and the failure to take the season to the wire, the pattern is set, so Bruce must turn it around at some point. If this doesnt happen Wyness's position surely must become intenable.

Appointing the right man at the right time can only have a chance if you sack the wrong guy at the right time.

After many years in the game I'm as surprised as I am disappointed that he doesnt appear to know this.

It's obviously water under the bridge now, but. We had a dream-team of King, Bernstein, Hollis and Little. I can't help but wonder what rhey would have done under DrT

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 3

Â