Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

Then he should use them differently then.

I agree that this shit 4231 formation that we have used for the past few years should be dumped.

But shit players will always look shit against better players. RDM seems keen to keep and play them and give them yet another chance.

They are shit. You can't make shit players good. Even the best managers will struggle - so RDM won't be able to that's for sure.

• Like 3

I hope today wasn't the plan we will be going with. We had no width, Grealish and Ayew just went all over the place. There was no discipline in midfield during the second half and no attacking ideas in the final 3rd. 

Big job to turn this around. 

• Like 4

There are very few full backs in the top division who can adequately perform at both ends of the field. Hutton & Cissosko certainly can't. I'd love us to go back to a 4-4-2.

We're wasting positions in midfield in any case with dross like Bacuna and Westwood.

Today showed me just how far we still have to climb-The TV didn't give the benefit of replays but that 2nd goal looked shocking. So reminiscent of last season.

I'm slightly less optimistic now about the season than I was at 3 o clock. Yes, friendlies mean little but there is so much work required still that it worries me. Maybe I was too eager to draw a line under last season.

I think it's nailed on that a striker will come in before Saturday. The defence gave me cause for concern 2nd half and the less said about the midfield, the better. Jordan Aywe showed today everything that frustrates me about him-He appeared to be neither a striker or a midfielder. I find him very individualistic. I worry he wiil not/can not form a partnership with a striker.

• Like 3

Too much work, too little time I'm afraid.

To expect to get promoted this season whilst the majority of the first team is comprised of players who were here last season is pure fallacy. I realise it's easier said than done, but we simply have to find a way to ship out as many as possible. 

The real issue is that we look too much like last season. The midfield is not creative, there's no quality up front, no real shape, over-reliance on poor fullbacks to deliver into the box and easy to catch out on the counter.

The order of priority is obvious. Gestede is appalling up front and we desperately need a number 9. Then we need creativity in central midfield and more width down the flanks. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The real issue is that we look too much like last season. The midfield is not creative, there's no quality up front, no real shape, over-reliance on poor fullbacks to deliver into the box and easy to catch out on the counter.

midfield is non-existent as well. never mind creativity they dont defend either which makes them just statues

this is a long term issue since McLeish was in charge

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Wakey wakey Roberto,  you're not going to turn this team around as it stands. I hope your ego is in check and you get on the phone to Xia and start begging. 

Aye one of the criticisms over him in other jobs is he's very laid back so I think he might've thought I only need to add a couple to go up. Well today is hopefully the eye opener needed that half of these aren't good enough to be week in week out starters to win promotion. 

Xia tweeted earlier that RDM told him that we have some great talents but that the management was wrong. It's fair enough to blame the managers but truth is the owner didn't care and his lack of funding was a bigger issue.  This worries me a lot as RDM must obviously rate himself and probably thinks he can get them performing. We got the change at the top and now we need it on the pitch.  

5 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Xia tweeted earlier that RDM told him that we have some great talents but that the management was wrong. It's fair enough to blame the managers but truth is the owner didn't care and his lack of funding was a bigger issue.  This worries me a lot as RDM must obviously rate himself and probably thinks he can get them performing. We got the change at the top and now we need it on the pitch.  

It's easy to think we have great talents when Lescott, Richards, and Clark are the ones trying to stop them. 

most teams are going to sit so deep this season against us mainly at Villa Park and  we really wont break a lot of them down. said it in match thread we will struggle to get 50 goals this season without a top striker

Nakhi Wells was so obvious a choice that its stupid club havent even made a bid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

most teams are going to sit so deep this season against us mainly at Villa Park and  we really wont break a lot of them down. said it in match thread we will struggle to get 50 goals this season without a top striker

Nakhi Wells was so obvious a choice that its stupid club havent even made a bid

Wells is a decent shout. Only two goals behind the fella from Bristol City who is being rated at £13m (lol). Plus I doubt Wells will cost us half of that fee.

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Too much work, too little time I'm afraid.

To expect to get promoted this season whilst the majority of the first team is comprised of players who were here last season is pure fallacy. I realise it's easier said than done, but we simply have to find a way to ship out as many as possible. 

The order of priority is obvious. Gestede is appalling up front and we desperately need a number 9. Then we need creativity in central midfield and more width down the flanks. 

Yup.

I tried 3 drafts to say this, agree with every word.

We have almost no goals in us, as a side.  Eerily reminiscent of MON's first observation when he took over.

I would just add, brittle character too - not surprising as, again, last years players.

I wonder if he still thinks judging them on the last 12 months would be unfair (rather than realistic) ?

And yes, he has a tough job - but he knew that didn't he ?  He knew we needed a major overhaul.  For me, far from overhaul, most of his set up and tactics were identical to those that have been proven to fail (the most obvious being the attacking  use of Hutton).

Early days ?  Or getting late in the day ?

• Like 2

On the positive side, Elphick looked ok, Gardner too once he settled, and RDM seems to have Grealish playing, (although still not being penetrative), and we at least looked like we were beginning to learn how to defend set -pieces.

21 minutes ago, terrytini said:

On the positive side, Elphick looked ok, Gardner too once he settled, and RDM seems to have Grealish playing, (although still not being penetrative), and we at least looked like we were beginning to learn how to defend set -pieces.

It's hard for him to play super attacking when Gestede is an elephant that has no positional awareness and Ayew (not his fault) has to keep coming deep into midfield to get the ball because most of our players aren't attack minded. Grealish could run the flanks all day and cross the ball in all day with ease, but when there is no one there to receive it he has to go down different avenues that cause us playing sideways.  

• Like 1

Â