Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

My concern is he seems to rate Baker ahead of Okore so far. Also seems to rate Hutton. Even Cissokho ahead of Bennett. I get they are experienced pros but they are shit. The quicker he realises it the better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If today is his first draft of the squad/tactics with which we will start the season, then I am worried.

Even though we were of course playing a premier league club today. 

:(

Me too.

9 hours ago, KSV said:

My concern is he seems to rate Baker ahead of Okore so far. Also seems to rate Hutton. Even Cissokho ahead of Bennett. I get they are experienced pros but they are shit. The quicker he realises it the better.

Who is better than Hutton at RB? And Bennett is utter garbage. 

Okore wasn't anything special last year and had an attitude to go with it. 

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Okore is better than Baker IMO, he has to play. Elphick and Baker are too slow to be an effective combination.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a baker fan at all. But Okore is hardly a shining light when it comes to defenders. 

10 hours ago, KSV said:

Personally I don't think there is much to choose, so I wouldn't criticise him for which he picked over the other.

I would, however, criticise him for the way he used Hutton, repeating previous years nonsense of relying on him to 'bomb on' and supply Gestede, neither rof which worked yesterday, neither of which have ever worked.

And I would criticise him IF it remains a choice of the lesser of two evils for many positions, i.e. it turns out his two statements about the current squad ('unfair to judge on the last 12 months', and 'a decent squad just badly managed')  mean he really thinks we don't need many players. 

In those circumstances it will be a problem of his own making.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a baker fan at all. But Okore is hardly a shining light when it comes to defenders. 

By all accounts, Baker acquitted himself well in the Championship last season.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KSV said:

Clark would be starting if he wasn't injured but yeah surprised Okore has been dumped given he seemed to talk him round in pre season and wanted to sign him for Chelsea.

In fairness they'll all get chances during the season as Baker will pick up his obligatory head injury at least once this season.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Who is better than Hutton at RB? And Bennett is utter garbage. 

Okore wasn't anything special last year and had an attitude to go with it. 

I would buy a new rb. He seems to think Huttoncan do a job. I disagree.. but let's see what happens

Think we'll loan in an RB before the window is out...the thought of watching Hutton 40 odd times next season as some sort of 32 year old wing back has me reaching for the sickbag.

Maybe someone like Ania at Chelsea...seems very highly rated there but will obviously struggle to get games outside of Carling cup. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Too much work, too little time I'm afraid.

To expect to get promoted this season whilst the majority of the first team is comprised of players who were here last season is pure fallacy. I realise it's easier said than done, but we simply have to find a way to ship out as many as possible. 

The real issue is that we look too much like last season. The midfield is not creative, there's no quality up front, no real shape, over-reliance on poor fullbacks to deliver into the box and easy to catch out on the counter.

The order of priority is obvious. Gestede is appalling up front and we desperately need a number 9. Then we need creativity in central midfield and more width down the flanks. 

It brings home to me that its more to do with the recruitment of the wrong players than the inadequacy of managers on the training ground.

We are a patchwork quilt of a team, no balance, no cohesiveness, no understanding. These players of ours do not seem to have been signed with a football plan in mind.

The rebuilding needs to include players who can fit in to a plan and work with method and compliment other players.

I just see a gaggle of geese.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think we'll loan in an RB before the window is out...the thought of watching Hutton 40 odd times next season as some sort of 32 year old wing back has me reaching for the sickbag.

Maybe someone like Ania at Chelsea...seems very highly rated there but will obviously struggle to get games outside of Carling cup. 

He is not good enough and we should all know that.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I guess if you look at a bunch of turds for long enough..... Some can look quite attractive.

my advice is first reaction......act.

Voinjama? Is that you?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Clark would be starting if he wasn't injured but yeah surprised Okore has been dumped given he seemed to talk him round in pre season and wanted to sign him for Chelsea.

In fairness they'll all get chances during the season as Baker will pick up his obligatory head injury at least once this season.

Clark isnt injured. he was on bench yesterday and returned training late after Euros

1 hour ago, KSV said:

I would buy a new rb. He seems to think Huttoncan do a job. I disagree.. but let's see what happens

I would as well. We've been linked with the guy from Leicester. I think we have bigger issues than RB at the moment.  

RDM may or may not be a decent manager for us in terms of results on the pitch.  For me the jury is still out,  especially given some of his selections this summer both personnel and formations,  but he is a professional manager been in and around football for a while so that's up to him,  its his career not mine.

However this business about having a group of talented players just lacking decent management really scares me,  as I do not believe it is true!

Firstly this squad is generally poor.  We have one or two players that may be good,  and certainly good for us in our current position but in the main they are poor.  Evidence of last season,  this summer and even before last season at this club and other clubs has shown they are poor.

Secondly whilst doubts about RDM's ability are there ,  one thing he is is a professional football manager,  and I do not believe he is stupid. Professional football managers want to be successful.  They want it for pride,  they want it for their career and they want it for job security above anything else.  To get success they like to have a group of players that they can trust and if possible players of their own choosing ,  that they know ,  that they have scouted and who they can build a relatkionship with.  In the main that is new players certainly not the cast off and patch work assembly of 3 or 4 managers and certainly not when that group of players has failed and continues to carry the stench of failure.  That will not help success.  Where a manager is offered enough money to facilitate a fresh start and enabling him to assemble his own team he will take it.  because he is not stupid and because he is professional. 

Where he has to rely on the squad he has and work with them he will openly big them up. This is what I believe we are seeing now.

I doubt he has any decent money at his disposal because logically if he has I cannot see a reason why he has not spent it already.

• Like 2

Â