Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

42 minutes ago, Richard said:

To be honest what are we likely to hear of any substance though Mark?  All managers have a great line in PR spin its part of the job.

For example on those areas you have mentioned I am guessing we could all be pretty close in thinking what he would say...

Build up or straight after the game on Saturday - "it's been a worthwhile exercise this pre season and really helped me figure out the squad we have and what we will need to work on throughout the season. It will be a long hard one but if we pull together I am hopeful we can progress as a club"

Depending upon the result - Win "I am really pleased for the lads to show what they are capable of against premier league opposition and it should be what this club is all about". Lose "The result doesnt matter it is about developing and understanding of team building and working together as we embark on a long season."

How the squad is shaping up - "I feel it is coming together nicely.  We are not the finished article yet but I am confident we will get into our stride pretty quickly .  I have seen encouraging signs that the lads are taking on board what we are telling them"

What we are likely to do in the window - "Not wanting to give much away but we always look to strengthen the squad and if we can do something to bring in better than what we have then we will be looking to do that between now and the window closing"

Hello Paul is that you?

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Hes a manager who keeps a low profile.  Don't be surprised if we only hear from him on a Thurs or Friday pre game and after a game.  IMO managers who talk to much publicly cause issues for themselves.   

Agreed. It was more an observation than a criticism, its just unusual especially for a manager new in post.

Perhaps it is also a sign of things to come with being outside the media bubble of the PL.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Back on the topic of Di Matteo when did we last hear anything from him?

Dunno. Not heard from many managers, other than on appointment, or transfer. It's summer.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

You clearly don't remember the time Ian Holloway was in charge of a PL club.

Ha, yes. How many managers is/was Holloway? not 'many" I would wager :), though his output was such that simple folk such as me could have got all confusulated into thinking there was 5 of hims

• Like 1

I think he is the reason why we arent signing anyone.  He said we have to wait for other teams to bid for a player first as not to be held to ransom and also said more importantly that he has to reduce the squad significantly. On top of that DrT keeps saying to trust RDM as he knows what he is doing.  The money is there, just not the conditions at the moment.  Hopefully things start moving over weekend. 

If RDM could really speak his mind, it would probably be;

WTF?

Good players? Seen only a couple

Shit players? Yeah Molto Shitus

shiesters? Yeah unfortunately. I've phoned all my enemies, no takers, Next week I Start phoning friends,feeling guilty already.

On 26 July 2016 at 19:47, Michael118 said:

I've never really thought much of Darren Bent as a player. My point was creative players with x factor like Gil and Traore are just as critical as any other component in the team. Perhaps more critical because they are often the difference between a mediocre team and one that excels. They are not meant to be tough, physical players. Their role is to be the magicians of the team, create something out of nothing and open up opportunities where others can't.

Calling them the sweetness of the cake would be more accurate.

When you combine them with a mixture of physical endeavour, strength, power and creativity in midfield you have a balance that's difficult to overcome.

A strong team is built by identifying and piecing together all the pieces of the puzzle and most importantly that the pieces are in the right hands.

I concur

On 28/07/2016 at 09:43, TrentVilla said:

Back on the topic of Di Matteo when did we last hear anything from him? I can't recall anything in quite a while, I don't think I can think of a new Villa manager who has kept quite so low a profile.

Maybe him keeping a low profile is for the best. 

I mean every manager recently has a been a bit of a chatter box in comparison and it's almost made things worse. We need managers that only talk when the media speaks to them and also is selective with words. Recently every manager we have had has just talked too much about how the team will be vastly better next time out, yet when it doesn't happen the fans turn sour. 

We have our chatter box in the lovable and adorable man from China Tony Xia, we don't need RDM to say anything this season. 

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Maybe him keeping a low profile is for the best. 

I mean every manager recently has a been a bit of a chatter box in comparison and it's almost made things worse. We need managers that only talk when the media speaks to them and also is selective with words. Recently every manager we have had has just talked too much about how the team will be vastly better next time out, yet when it doesn't happen the fans turn sour. 

We have our chatter box in the lovable and adorable man from China Tony Xia, we don't need RDM to say anything this season. 

Agreed, though once the season starts we've got the before and after press conferences, that amounts to a quite lot of the manager in the media, like it or not. But yes, I will also be happy he keeps in the background the rest of the time.

watched todays game. just turned it off, the whole of the pre season was needed to sort this mess out, and nothing has changed. crap players still doing the same crap things. i said a new team was needed 7-8 new players to stop the rot and rebuild. these should have been brought in early doors and been bedded in. SORT IT OUT! 

I know it's only pre season but **** me that just wiped out a lot of excitement or optimism I was feeling. 

We still play with no width. We still have nothing in the final 3rd and we still collapse once we concede one.

A lot of work to do. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I couldn't believe their second goal, our move breaks down on the edge of the area and within 3 passes it's 3 against 1, like last season all over again.  It's a very tough job he's got to do.

the common denominator is Westwood still. a midfielder who offers nothing offensively or defensively

• Like 4

Â