Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Lets just hold our horses shall we. They say you're only as good as your last game, and we were shit in that, and in almost all of the games that preceded it.

RDM needs to turn transfer fees into results which is not easy.

I'll define a better team as one that wins more games.

It really does not take much to be better than last season genie 

We fans need to be patient.

Last season, we started off with concerns at how the previous season ended and uneasy with the way Sherwood managed. We were pretty much excited about the big turnaround in staff but also aware that we had lost two or three of our best players and replaced them with largely unknown names who were new to English football.

This season, we have a completely new management team but the kind of player turnaround. However, we must also remember that we haven't lost our best players this season, we have pretty much got rid of the rubbish and replaced them with players who nearly all have experience of the league we are in and have done well in it before.

We need to give the management team time to get things working the way they want. It's a season with 8 more league games so let's give the guys enough time to work their magic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

We fans need to be patient.

Last season, we started off with concerns at how the previous season ended and uneasy with the way Sherwood managed. We were pretty much excited about the big turnaround in staff but also aware that we had lost two or three of our best players and replaced them with largely unknown names who were new to English football.

This season, we have a completely new management team but the kind of player turnaround. However, we must also remember that we haven't lost our best players this season, we have pretty much got rid of the rubbish and replaced them with players who nearly all have experience of the league we are in and have done well in it before.

We need to give the management team time to get things working the way they want. It's a season with 8 more league games so let's give the guys enough time to work their magic.

How much time though ? 

As you say we have a team, expensively assembled by championship standards - bursting with experience at this level. Sure one or two will take a while to hit peak and fully settle. But if they start not settle in any great numbers - or we are still only eeeking the odd home win come November  - Questions need to be asked.

Yes it takes time - but :-

• not that much time 
  • we go on only winning 1 game in six - promotion will quickly slip from our grasp.

• Like 1

I've been mostly impressed by his analysis of what we need where. Needs to time get the new group playing well and I hope people don't expect it to click right away. To have managed to identify and sign close to a whole starting XI, with the quality (and qualities) those players possess, is pretty remarkable. I desperately hope the fans have patience over the next month or so as I feel we have a real chance of promotion now. Bob and Tone could have saved the sinking ship in one window.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

He has to deliver this season it is as simple as that for me now. He has been backed massively and if we don't now have one of the best three squads in this league then the finger will inevitably be pointed at him.

Edited by markavfc40

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He has to deliver this season it is as simple as that for me now. He has been backed massively and if we don't now have one of the best three squads in this league then the finger will inevitably be pointed at him.

Yes I agree, with the money he has spent, anything less than top 6 is failure. I know things have changed but even Oneill didn't get this type of backing. 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that come the end of the season, assuming we don't have some rotten luck with injuries, we should be in the mix, at the same time we need to be patient. 

It doesn't matter how much it has cost to assemble the team, they do still need time to gel, to learn the managers philosophy and evolve together. Let's wait a couple of months at least before we bring out the knives if things don't go so well at the beginning. 

With that said, over to you Roberto. 

• Like 2

My head is telling me to be realistic and to expect a transition time as the players gel, the tactics from management sink in and our new style of play forms.  My heart is saying we have potentially one of the best teams in the league by some distance, that natural talent should show results from the outset.

Just a shame a few mistakes early in the season has put added pressure on the team because we have less points than we should've but on the flip side we may have not brought as many players if we done so.

Now's the time to get behind the team and be positive, we're not going to win every game in this league regardless of how much money we spent. We've got rid of the majority of the neg heads in the squad, it's now time for the fans to play their part. The new players deserve our backing even when things don't go well. We need to rebuild our reputation as the 12th man, not get on their backs straight away. It's going to be hard for some people, 6 years of disappointment and crap football has taken its toll. But that's not the fault of the new players. Let's back them, properly, until the end of the season and make Villa Park a fortress again. 

• Like 3

Â