Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Does anyone think that Aston Hall and it’s lovely grounds will play a part in the overall redevelopment in the area and making Aston more attractive to visit?

I know we have nothing to do with the hall itself but assume some discussion with the Birmingham Museum Trust will have been had?

It’s a great spot next to Villa Park and wondered if we could work together to attract additional visitors to both sites in the future?

17 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Does anyone think that Aston Hall and it’s lovely grounds will play a part in the overall redevelopment in the area and making Aston more attractive to visit?

I know we have nothing to do with the hall itself but assume some discussion with the Birmingham Museum Trust will have been had?

It’s a great spot next to Villa Park and wondered if we could work together to attract additional visitors to both sites in the future?

I hope it does. Shame they can't do anything down the Witton Lane high street, it's a s**** hole down there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sorry if this has been covered already but are there likely to be compulsory purchase orders involved in this going ahead as planned? If so, does that mean we may end up with a scaled back version?

There are no CPO's in this project - everything is internal with the exception of the public realm street stuff  - in so far as I'm aware the council are absolutely behind all of that stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Annoyingly this seems to be a common theme across all stadia. You'd think the newer stadiums would manage it, but I've been to Wembley on a few occasions and never managed to get a pint before the 2nd half kicks off.

Spurs manage to serve everyone beer really quickly in their new stadium. They have a lot of room though for long serving counters and lots of staff.

Hopefully the new stand and the expanded Trinity will be able to serve quicker, but DE and Holte End are still going to be just as slow.

Edited by ender4

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A few things that I think are worth pointing out - they've worked hard to separate parking and cars from people in the plan - so all of the parking is in the area at the back (furthest from the new stand) and all of the pedestrian routes are nearer the stand. 

There's one exception to that and that's with the players busses - the new design incorporates a plan to make the arrival more of an event and part of the day - it's hard to see the players when they arrive currently and the club have planned to make this easier for fans and more of a feature in the day.

it's also worth noting how many trees there are in this design - one of the things the designers noticed is that Villa Park currently has walls and fortifications everywhere and part of their desire with the project is to sort of blur some of those lines and open the place up more - they're suggesting a feel that the park should look like it's sneaking into Villa Park's ground - that you don't just go from a beautiful Edwardian park to an industrial car park - but that it feels a bit more like the two are linked.

There's a plan view that we saw yesterday that showed the area between Villa Live and the edge of the site in more detail and you can see in that where the parking will go and how the space will be used - there are loads of trees and nice spots to park your bum pre match.

Someone mentioned EV charging points and my understanding is that there will be some of these in the parking area.

Just to point out a couple of things:

image.png

Firstly the underpass - which will give a direct route from the Brookvale site to the stadium - it'll also make Station Road feel like an extension of Villa Park and it's noticeable that the club are extending some of the paving and street furniture along a stretch of Station Road. The Brookvale centre will become part of the matchday experience with the stuff that's currently in the Academy building moving there and the use of the space for some other stuff. The walkway they're talking about will cross the rive and go under the railway.

Ideally for the future the club would like to work alongside the council in remodelling Witton Station so that fans can reach the platforms from this side and we can cut out some of the walk around the traffic island. 

Secondly, the Aston Hotel - this building is currently in use as a hostel, but with the Academy building gone, it will back directly onto Villa Park - that will make it much more attractive to breweries and developers and whilst the club has no plans to buy and develop it themselves, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone else might take advantage of what is a really nice old building that suddenly has a much more prominent location. What the club has done is allocate a space there for a garden that is within our grounds but has the potential to be opened up if the Aston Hotel were to re-open as a pub.

There's loads of little clever stuff - they're talking about putting in trenches with the TV cabling so that we don't need the fleet of vans in place - a truck entrance under the Holte End so that we can put the staging in for a major concert quickly and easily, additional seating with better access for fans with disabilities, the potential for a modern, interactive 'experience' style museum-y thing within the Villa Live building that changes it's offer to reflect the occasion - not a dusty room with trophies, but something much more interactive. 

To be honest there was so much on the different things they're putting in that it's hard to remember everything - this is not being done on the cheap.

The thing for me that impacted most though was the seating bowl - it looks like the Holte End with wings - it's going to make a massive difference to the way Villa Park looks, sounds and feels - it could be like having a Holte End at both ends - it's going to look massive and Villa Park will sound awesome. We're going to have awful lot to be proud of.

Won’t the Villa Live building be in the way between the open area and the Aston Hotel, so not sure where the garden can go and make the Aston Hotel feel like it’s adjacent to VP?

For the estimated cost of £ 100 million I think it seems reasonable value in dragging Villa Park into the 21st Century. Especially when you compare it with the cost of Spurs or even Everton new grounds at £ 1 billion and £500 million in a non london location respectively.

I would bet my bottom dollar that there are some of those bottom up beer dispensers in this development. 

For me the answer in this situation is like Boxpark. Just have a shed load of 5 pint jugs pre poured 10 minutes before half time. You know they're all going to go. 

I'm amazed the PL haven't tried to go to 20 minute half time breaks for corporate purposes. 

I never ever buy food or drink at Villa Park personally. 

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Those in collapsing asbestos filled houses....

Irony

My god that forum is horrible. And the irony of them trying to take the piss out of our increased stadium capacity is quite the best example of irony I've ever seen. Alanis, take note. 

Edited by MrBlack
Alanis, not Natalie....what?
  • Haha 1

This is very exciting. Nobody is discussing atmosphere though, to me this is the most important thing, it's the stadium for Aston Villa Football Club after all before anything else. I don't want a stadium full of day-tripper families and popcorn-eating kids so that the place has the atmosphere of a West End theatre. Really hoping that the introduction of a wrap around North Stand/Trinity Road Stand (despite the fact the current Trinity Road inhabitants appear to be cardboard cut-outs as they make about as much noise as them 😜) will improve acoustics and the potential introduction of safe standing areas will help to enhance this, as much as words like 'inclusive' and 'for all' are completely understandable from a marketing and PR point of view, we need to make the atmosphere hostile for away teams and fans to make it a fortress for our players.

Edited by wedge

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would bet my bottom dollar that there are some of those bottom up beer dispensers in this development. 

For me the answer in this situation is like Boxpark. Just have a shed load of 5 pint jugs pre poured 10 minutes before half time. You know they're all going to go. 

I'm amazed the PL haven't tried to go to 20 minute half time breaks for corporate purposes. 

I never ever buy food or drink at Villa Park personally. 

I wouldn't want to upset any of my fellow Villa Talkers (!) but I've never understood the urgency of needing to eat and drink during that particular 15 minute slot of a matchday  There is quite a lot of time before and after the match. 😂

Personally my flask of tea works just fine. ☕

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I once read that the reason why pints aren't pre-poured (at least half way) is that some fans moan about the quality of the beer.

Personally, I think that if you have about 5-10 minutes to drink a Carlsberg from a plastic cup in a concourse packed with people, chips and pies, you shouldn't be looking for a gourmety ale with citrusy notes. 

If it was pured 5 minutes earlier, it ain't gonna be much worse. Just drink your shitty pint and move on. 

To that I would say fine, wait 10 minutes for a fresh pint if you prefer. Just go to that fresh pint queue over there whilst we rapidly hand out 5 pint jugs to the less discerning Heineken drinkers. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

My god that forum is horrible. And the irony of them trying to take the piss out of our increased stadium capacity is quite the best example of irony I've ever seen. Natalie, take note. 

Natalie?!?

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I once read that the reason why pints aren't pre-poured (at least half way) is that some fans moan about the quality of the beer.

Personally, I think that if you have about 5-10 minutes to drink a Carlsberg from a plastic cup in a concourse packed with people, chips and pies, you shouldn't be looking for a gourmety ale with citrusy notes. 

If it was pured 5 minutes earlier, it ain't gonna be much worse. Just drink your shitty pint and move on. 

Yep, I’m not drinking at half-time for the flavour, I’m drinking for the alcoholic buzz and because I’m feeling a little thirsty after 45 mins of shouting. Pour me any old crap that’s drinkable and I’ll be happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I wouldn't want to upset any of my fellow Villa Talkers (!) but I've never understood the urgency of needing to eat and drink during that particular 15 minute slot of a matchday  There is quite a lot of time before and after the match. 😂

Personally my flask of tea works just fine. ☕

I’ve been to enough games over the years to fully understand the need for another pint at half-time to help deaden the pain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â