Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The fans consultancy group were invited to a meeting on this last night and I can add my two pennies later, but I'd say that aesthetically, the designs don't blow me away, and it seems a shame that they're putting the Villa Live building right in front of the facade of the grand new stand - but the final look and feel of the outside of both buildings isn't yet completed - they're still considering materials and finishes - which is why they're looking for people to add to the survey. 

Functionally though, these plans are excellent - opening up the Brookvale site so that it becomes an extension of Villa Park on matchdays, the expanded capacity, eight times the number of hospitality places in the new North than the old North stand, the ability to have the Villa Live building as a concert venue with a capacity of more than 2,500, or as a place to watch games on a big screen for a couple of thousand fans, loads more spaces for the type of stuff that happens pre-match outside the Trinity at the moment, a big open space around the corner of North and Doug, much bigger and better concourses and a two tier stand that reflects the Holte and is reasonably similar to it in size and shape to give VP balance.

The size of the concourses within the new stand are a world away from the Doug Ellis, with natural light and a load more space and the pitch side view will be amazing.

Personally I think more can be done around the way it looks from the outside, but there's some really good stuff about the way it will work and what it will provide in terms of the matchday experience.*

(Sorry about the phrase "matchday experience" I realise that it makes me sound like a knob)

If it’s in front of what will be the new North stand into the car park then I’m not bothered one bit. It’s not replacing anything worth keeping so anything new and modern is an upgrade, it’s a bloody eye sore the way it is. Touch the outside of the Holte though and there will be blood.

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thank you. I thought I was going mental. 

That's my point. I know it's just a general representation but this is the most visible point of the whole development and pretty much hides the stand. 

It's what most people will see on their approach to the ground. There is A LOT to get wrong here. 

I would much prefer it sat a lot further back from the stand. 

You know they can't magic space out of thin air right?

The are trying to fit as much into tiny ass space as possible..there will be some level of compromise. Jesus Christ man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

image.jpeg.cfa77722e4a9e8aec5a807f852f19ac3.jpeg

Does this seriously not scream Leisure Centre to anyone?  I surely can't be alone in this.

I like the idea of a large glass construction, will need to be highly toughened glass though. It is pretty hard for it not to look better than the current North Stand and if they get it right it shouldn't look too leisure centery. 

I'm still not convinced that any structure would be used outside of match days as Aston isn't exactly the first place on my lips for a day out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The indicative drawings are very similar to the new Anfield Road End 

C919284E-8524-474B-9760-646DE8D097E2.jpeg

76BA4A8A-C348-494A-B11C-DDB8028DE9BF.jpeg

Of course they are, Gerrard and Purlow turning us into baby-Liverpool :trollface:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The indicative drawings are very similar to the new Anfield Road End 

C919284E-8524-474B-9760-646DE8D097E2.jpeg

76BA4A8A-C348-494A-B11C-DDB8028DE9BF.jpeg

C&B specs on but based on the section our fanzone looked better positioned, the height of the ceiling and the glass should make for a nicer space 

I thought they might do a Liverplop and build the new stand behind the old one to keep the capacity up but I guess with all the other work on the other building it's not possible.  For me it seems to tick all the boxes, it's massive, kind of mirrors the Holte, has brick on the outside and links up with the other two stands without looking like a bowl.

• Like 2

Another interesting comparison for me with the Liverpool section is it looks like they're cramming stuff in to the bottom concourse under the seats whereas we've taken that as dead space and gone a floor higher on the top level (whereas they have a plant area) 

Again C&B specs on but I think our design uses space better 

Yes, I must say I'm quite impressed with the plans so far. You have to drastically increase capacity without expanding the footprint, keep it in some sort of sympathy with what's already there and improve facilities. These plans seem to address all that.

There's no point putting an artistic looking quirky monstrosity next to a stadium that doesn't feature any other construction of that style.

This takes us us to early 50k capacity, then in a few years we can fill in the Holte / Trinity corner, Expand the Doug Ellis over the Witton Lane itself (making the road a tunnel) and go for 60K.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

You know they can't magic space out of thin air right?

The are trying to fit as much into tiny ass space as possible..there will be some level of compromise. Jesus Christ man.

The only "Jesus Christ Man" required on here is in relation to the hissy fits being thrown when some concern is shown to ensure Villa Park ends up with a quality rebuild 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The only "Jesus Christ Man" required on here is in relation to the hissy fits being thrown when some concern is shown to ensure Villa Park ends up with a quality rebuild 

It would also be the most 'turn the other cheek' member of The Avengers.

• Haha 2

I've posted my views on the expanse of brick wall on the survey. 

Look forward to the proper renders with hopefully more detail/texture information. 

Maybe an opportunity for some more mosaics here?

Can I make it absolutely clear I am positive and right behind this development which is going to revolutionise us.  Just desperately want us to get it right. 

I've also now listened to the Purslow interview. It's clear that the new "Our Future City Plan" taking Birmingham development to 2040 will include wholesale development of Aston centered on Villa Park. 

I think you will also see Villa Live pitching at the Asian Wedding market 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â