Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

It’s in keeping with the rest of the ground though, if they were to use brick. However I could also see them using a nice render finish in that part rather than just having the bricks on show. 

In fairness there aren’t too many ways it can look without having structural elements on show, however that really wouldn’t be in keeping with the rest of the ground at all. 

image.thumb.png.6cb5a823116a65f3bc588984bcf89d36.png

In my mind's eye I'm picturing something like this.   Not the design (this is a multi storey car park) but there's no brick in this building from a structural point of view, it's just a steel frame with a facade hung on the front, the brick is there but it's about half an inch thick.  It makes so much sense at a stadium because of the speed and flexibility it offers and a lot of the stuff can be put together off site and transported in.    The complex behind the stand feels like it's going to be like the Box Park they've got at Wembley, but in keeping with the area and the stadium rather than looking like a bunch of shipping containers welded together.  It could be a really smart idea, as it should be easy to have access for fans on multiple sides of the structure and being able to get in and out quickly is probably going to be important for whether people are going to be arsed to use it or not.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

In my mind's eye I'm picturing something like this.   Not the design (this is a multi storey car park) but there's no brick in this building from a structural point of view, it's just a steel frame with a facade hung on the front, the brick is there but it's about half an inch thick.  It makes so much sense at a stadium because of the speed and flexibility it offers and a lot of the stuff can be put together off site and transported in.    The complex behind the stand feels like it's going to be like the Box Park they've got at Wembley, but in keeping with the area and the stadium rather than looking like a bunch of shipping containers welded together.  It could be a really smart idea, as it should be easy to have access for fans on multiple sides of the structure and being able to get in and out quickly is probably going to be important for whether people are going to be arsed to use it or not.  

They're called brick slips

I think that's what they've done in places on the trinity and yeah that's the quicker option than traditional brickwork 

• Like 1

Oh god yes not in a million years will there be hundreds of brickies working on site laying thousands of bricks. 

It will be steel frame with brick slip cladding stuck on the outside. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

It’s in keeping with the rest of the ground though, if they were to use brick. However I could also see them using a nice render finish in that part rather than just having the bricks on show. 

In fairness there aren’t too many ways it can look without having structural elements on show, however that really wouldn’t be in keeping with the rest of the ground at all. 

Expand  

In my mind's eye I'm picturing something like this.   Not the design (this is a multi storey car park)

Perhaps you’re psychologically scarred over the years and subconsciously think that we’re going to appoint Sean Dyke and park the bus??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Some things I asked for in the survey:

Incorporate old fashioned styling wherever possible, like wrought iron, stained glass, ornate brick work, ivy on exterior facades, hedges.

Solar panels, EV charging station, phasing out plastics.

More veg/vegan food. A quality non alcoholic beer option.

Stronger engagement with West Indian and Asian communities in the area.

Stronger engagement with international fans.

A community garden and community food Bank.

A plan to accentuate and amplify the acoustics in the ground.

Safe standing in lower Holte. 

More coordination with fans to generate atmosphere on match days.

I asked for something very similar with regard to wrought iron, stained glass and mosaics incorporated into a modern design. Also mentioned it would be nice to bring back some of the details and intricacies lost with the old trinity road stand. In my opinion there should also be more tributes/statues around the place. Bare minimum is a Ron Saunders statue. 

Edited by id92
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

You wot? We lost our historical uniqueness when he who shall not be named knocked the beautiful trinity road stand and built a new one from lego. This nonsense about keeping the stands standalone or wrap around is just that, nonsense. Same for the Holte. 

Awright bruv

This is really exciting stuff but for next season I wish they would just sort out service in the Doug Ellis upper. I like a half time pint but why do I have to leave 15 minutes before half time to have a chance of getting one and making second half? It’s shocking. Just pour them ready!

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Gents, apologies, I woke up early and grumpy and seem to have started the day by saying I didn't like the new stand. That's wrong on two points:

1. The aesthetics and the finish are the least decided bits of this project and I have no actual idea how the finished stand will look - the drawings are completely speculative and I'm reacting to something that's not done. The finish is one of the main things they're looking for feedback on in the survey.
  2. Functionally, this is an incredible project - there's so much that's good in the details - don't let negative morning me put you off that - there's some amazing stuff in this announcement.

That's fine. We are Villa and its our god given right to have a moan.

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

From looking at it now and thinking more about it  surely we should take more advantage of the only end where we are not compromised by land.  Fair enough if we think 50k will do us for many years , but maybe to think a bit bolder and go further up in the sky and get to say 55k would be great. 

This is a phase one project and there are other phases, but there's nothing in the immediate to increase beyond 50k - the only way to that really would be to redevelop the Doug Ellis stand and that would mean purchasing and demolishing houses and all the difficulty that brings.There may be small gains from some of the other things they're doing, but 55k will be for the future rather than this iteration of change.

7 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

OBE, did you see anything more on the improvements to the Trinity?

Initially there are two things that will happen with the Trinity - firstly there will be a slight increase to the capacity of it as it will come around to meet the new stand with the middle tier extended to meet the lower tier of the North Stand. Then once the hospitality areas in the North stand open - they will redevelop all of the hospitality in the Trinity Road stand, including a balcony deck in the centre of the stand. There's also lots going on underneath with the players areas and tunnel moving - I'm not sure what will happen to those spaces.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wow. Are they actually looking to reroute Witton Lane now then to create this large space to the rear of the DE? 

Are the design pictures you saw the same as these or the more detailed ones they are to release shortly? 

They're looking to close the road on matchdays when it will feel like an open public square, but it will still be a road outside of those times - if you look at Church Street in Birmingham city centre - I think we're looking at something like that.

The pictures we saw were the same (there may have been one or two more) but we had the pleasure of sitting down with the people that made them and asking them questions for two and a half hours,

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I woke up early and grumpy and seem to have started the day by saying I didn't like the new stand. That's wrong on two points

I didn't pass on that comment, so nobody knew until just now  😜.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

I think the contention may arise around people with season tickets in the lower North, that cost, what - 500 quid?, being relocated to available seating in the Trinity or Holte or Witton Lane that costs a lot more.

I think the rezoning might have taken some of that difference away - I'm not sure the North Stand is much cheaper than anywhere else at the moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

On catering: anyone ever visited the Allianz? I went to a European game several years ago and the food and choice on offer was amazing. They should definitely take a leaf out of their book and learn from others.

Oddly on this - the design team have spent some time touring European stadiums and I'm sure mentioned the Allianz as one they looked at. :)

6 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So there is a gap between the stand and Villa Live we think?

Yep - 28 meters to be exact! 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But if you do the survey it mentions that the North Stand will wrap into the Trinity Stand. Which answers the question as to whether it would remain a standalone stand.

It does, and the big advantage to that inside is that the club can create a huge single conferencing area that runs from the Doug Ellis corner of the new North Stand all the way through to the Holte End corner of the Trinity Road stand - with the extra bonus of a post conference evening venue in the Villa Live building outside - that's a game changer for non-matchday conference and banqueting and will allow the club to compete for business they don't currently get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

image.jpeg.cfa77722e4a9e8aec5a807f852f19ac3.jpeg

Does this seriously not scream Leisure Centre to anyone?  I surely can't be alone in this.

It's just an indicative drawing - it was noticeable that building was different from one drawing to another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â