Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Be interested to see how we handle the Whitton Lane situation if/when we get to that stage in a few more years time. 

With the houses and the road, don`t think I will ever see it done. Liverpool have the same behind the Kop and Kenny Daglish stand, they cant do anything about it. But with our owners you never know.

2 minutes ago, villa82 said:

With the houses and the road, don`t think I will ever see it done. Liverpool have the same behind the Kop and Kenny Daglish stand, they cant do anything about it. But with our owners you never know.

We bought and demolished a street full of houses when we extended the current Witton Lane stand.  Absolutely no reason why they couldn't do it again.   

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

According to the club, this season saw the highest renewal rate we've ever had - we've lost about 1,500.

Really surprised by that, but there's the justification for another significant hike in prices next season.

• Sad 1

Just now, sidcow said:

We bought and demolished a street full of houses when we extended the current Witton Lane stand.  Absolutely no reason why they couldn't do it again.   

Yes, but next time the road has to be moved further, and more houses demolished because of A taller new stand. The road also got a higher category after the last upgrade. But I hope I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Yes, but next time the road has to be moved further, and more houses demolished because of A taller new stand. The road also got a higher category after the last upgrade. But I hope I am wrong.

I actually think they would radically alter the road layout and incorporate apartment blocks into any future developments to help finance it.  We went round in circles on this discussion months ago though.

But I am more convinced now because there were statements in the announcement about working with the Council in the redevelopment of Aston centred around Villa Park.  That would certainly tie in with replacing outdated inefficient Victorian terraces with modern well insulated green housing stock.

I could see the whole block between VP and the railway embankment being replaced with modern apartment blocks with easy access to Witton station.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I may have misheard a comment made by Purslow in that interview. I'm sure he said they want an area for Villa fans to congregate for away games. Does he mean they will be screening away games 

They meant for FA Cup games, and probably away games that are shown on sky/bt etc. They won't show anything at 3pm on a Saturday, or not legally available via another means in the UK. 

I reckon I'd go there for an away game or two, but with a capacity of 2.5k it would probably be ticket only. 

Edited by MrBlack

Just now, MrBlack said:

They meant for FA Cup games, and probably away games that are shown on sky/bt etc. They won't show anything at 3pm on a Saturday, or not legally available via another means in the UK. 

Thats probably what I thought I heard, I was distracted. With away tickets so hard to get hold of I think its a good idea to screen what they can. Probably charge £15 entry, make it a decent capacity

5 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Thats probably what I thought I heard, I was distracted. With away tickets so hard to get hold of I think its a good idea to screen what they can. Probably charge £15 entry, make it a decent capacity

Looks like Middlesborough did something similar for their playoff semi final against us, but can't seem to find any information about other clubs regularly doing the same...

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/aston-villa-away-game-screening-at-the-riverside

If you missed out on tickets for our Play-Off semi-final second leg at Aston Villa, you can still watch the game in the company of Boro fans, at the Riverside Stadium.

Liverpool have a section on their website about screenings, but it's empty and has no useful info.

Wasn't there some suggestion that the PL would try and get all matches televised and increase compensation to lower league teams. 

I've often wondered if this is a really serious problem.   I was thinking of going down to Poundland to watch Walsall play live but now Liverpool are on the tellybox instead of recording it and watching it when I get home, I'm not going to go to Walsall at all. 

Yes, I know there will be a few like this but enough to seriously affect Walsall? 

If I got a compo offer I'd take it as I don't think attendances will be affected all that badly.  It's like listening to an MP3 rather than going to a gig innit. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Really hope they don't just upgrade the interior of the trinity though, and do fix the exterior. 

Is there a way to upgrade the interior concourses of the Upper Trinity though?  Feels like space is too limited to upgrade in any substantial way.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is there a way to upgrade the interior concourses of the Upper Trinity though?  Feels like space is too limited to upgrade in any substantial way.

I've only been to upper trinity a few times, and I don't know if it's because of capacity restrictions, but it feels like there is a lot of empty space there. 

There could be additional beer/burger spots there, but it could be down to a space/capacity restrictions. 

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

I've only been to upper trinity a few times, and I don't know if it's because of capacity restrictions, but it feels like there is a lot of empty space there. 

There could be additional beer/burger spots there, but it could be down to a space/capacity restrictions. 

On the few occasions I've been up there I would say the concourses are about twice as spacious as The Doug Ellis, three times as spacious as the Lower Holte and 1,000,000 times as spacious at The North Stand 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The stairs from ground level going up to the concourse take up a lot of space, and then the shape is also weird because it's not an even rectangle. 

Because the stands take so long to serve food and drink, the queues are crazy even before the game and so there isn't any space with people everywhere. 

Of course, a million times better than the DE or North stands though!

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On the few occasions I've been up there I would say the concourses are about twice as spacious as The Doug Ellis, three times as spacious as the Lower Holte and 1,000,000 times as spacious at The North Stand 

ha yes very true. But cramped compared to Trinity Lower or New North stand will be. 

If they rejigged the stairs or even pushed the stairs out of the concourse (as part of planning application) the space would double in size for relatively little outlay.

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't there some suggestion that the PL would try and get all matches televised and increase compensation to lower league teams. 

I've often wondered if this is a really serious problem.   I was thinking of going down to Poundland to watch Walsall play live but now Liverpool are on the tellybox instead of recording it and watching it when I get home, I'm not going to go to Walsall at all. 

Yes, I know there will be a few like this but enough to seriously affect Walsall? 

If I got a compo offer I'd take it as I don't think attendances will be affected all that badly.  It's like listening to an MP3 rather than going to a gig innit. 

Maybe not Walsall but a non-league team could have their crowds halved by it.

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Andy Street has commented on the plans today so we have the full backing of the WMCA and by extension BCC then

I think it is more down to keeping the local population happy and local councillors. Need to be mindful that there are lots of people who live nearby who will have disruption for 18 months.

Very surprised nobody has attempted this yet, but a VR stand, basically stick a 360 camera in a spot in the ground, put someone in the ground and surround them with the other vr supporter's 

Â