Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

3 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Speak for yourself. I won't be happy until our name is uttered alongside those Clubs.

Indeed we were the biggest club in the world at the turn of the 20th century, just because we've never expierenced it in our lifetimes doesn't mean we won't. Leicester have just won the Premier League and still people talk as if the top sides aren't surpassable. We were the big boy, as have been Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Liverpool (although they won't admit it yet) at certain times and look where we are now. With good organisation and resources there's nothing to stop anyone long term. Short term we have a mountain to climb granted and we'll have problems along the way but I'm far more optimistic about a man that states his ambition from the outset is the peak rather than a respected height. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrDuck said:

Saw that figure thrown about a few times at the beginning...

I think he may have said something like he would spend £50m, £40m, £30m or £20m and the press ran with the highest figure. I think £30m on transfers would give us a good chance of getting a team in place to finish top 2. I will start to worry when the figure available for transfers is quoted as being "Twelvety!";)   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I was being slightly facetious but I don't think he is making a rod for his own back. Any fan that turns around in 10 years or so and says "You lying **** Dr X, you said we'd be like Real Madrid" are just daft.

Thankfully I don't think anyone will hold him to those sorts of words.

Fair shout and in fairness i do think it's going to an all or nothing thing for him.

He's not going to stick around and do a Steve Morgan at Wolves.

54 minutes ago, John said:

‘Roberto has already made a phone call to every single player,’ he says. ‘Every player that he wants to keep is happy to stay. The decisions on who goes are up to Roberto.’

That is very positive news. 

Let's hope Roberto hasn't been paying attention to the press over the last year who have claimed all of our foreign players are the issue. 

If we could actually replace Guzan, Lescott, Richards, Richardson, N'zogbia and Gabby with a new spine of players who actually give a shit and are "leaders" in that dressing room then we could have a very good tam pretty quickly.   

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John said:

I think he may have said something like he would spend £50m, £40m, £30m or £20m and the press ran with the highest figure. I think £30m on transfers would give us a good chance of getting a team in place to finish top 2. I will start to worry when the figure available for transfers is quoted as being "Twelvety!";)   

The initial figure suggested was £50 million. However I am sure Tony said in the CNN interview it was very much down to what the manager needed. If he needed £20 million, he got £20 million, £50 million, £50 million given. He doesn't want to put a figure on it because a) allows others to play hard ball and b ) ensures that the manager can get who he wants, not what he can afford. 

Twelvety though is a lot. How about "I can I can't"? ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

Let's hope Roberto hasn't been paying attention to the press over the last year who have claimed all of our foreign players are the issue. 

i think its all of them - they cant play well at all on a consistent basis - even ayew blows hot and cold. 

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

i think its all of them - they cant play well at all on a consistent basis - even ayew blows hot and cold. 

I dunno, team confidence is a big thing too. I don't think there's much need to completely dismantle the squad, sign a few new leaders in the squad, win a few games and with confidence, other players will play better too. Most of what Ayew did last season were all individual efforts, if he's got a team full of confidence around him I think he will naturally improve his consistency with that. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I dunno, team confidence is a big thing too. I don't think there's much need to completely dismantle the squad, sign a few new leaders in the squad, win a few games and with confidence, other players will play better too. Most of what Ayew did last season were all individual efforts, if he's got a team full of confidence around him I think he will naturally improve his consistency with that. 

Elphick certainly fits the bill of a leader. Captained Bournemouth to two promotions in three seasons.

I would be very interested in knowing how/when the scouting team will be rebuilt. As far as I know there has been no progress on that.

Certainly RDM needs a team to shortlist potential players that he wants to have for next season?

Has his eyes on a Spanish club, and wants us to be as well known as Barcelona and Real Madrid. Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking. Barca have already nearly got the right colours.

• Like 2

Wyness has said that him and the rest of the board will put their heads together regarding new signings (which I thought was strange), but Di Matteo will have the final say. No mention of a new scouts or a DOF. Maybe Riley will keep his job in some capacity.

17 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

I would be very interested in knowing how/when the scouting team will be rebuilt. As far as I know there has been no progress on that.

Certainly RDM needs a team to shortlist potential players that he wants to have for next season?

You're sounding like a Villa fan.  Are you officially one of us yet?

57 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I think that Dr Tony is forgetting that Villa have already been spoken about in the same circles as Real and Barca this season, when Bacuna was being linked to each of them! ;)

It's such a shame they are currently stalling on personal terms. We get that Bacuna is in a different league quality wise, but I thought his move away would go a bit smoother for a man that knows the Champions League so well. :D

Â