Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

My only legitimate worry at the minute is if the Liverpool (some other club) Chinese takeover happens. We really need to hammer home our advantage early and make the most of the Chinese market before anyone else dips in. Tony has shown other Chinese businesses and investors that the premier league is open for business, and there's definitely money to be made. The inter Milan deal doesn't affect us directly but is part of the same trend.

We've a lot of ground to make up in a very short space of time. It'll be an interesting year or two at any rate...

29 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't really like making the assumption that money is no object. At the minute, it seems like he has £600m to spend on us. Which is a great amount, not enough to put us where he wants us to be though.

£600m? Ok - (and yeah yeah it is back of fag packet thinking)

Year 1 - £30 mill net spent on players - let's say we get lucky and go up first time. £570 mill left in the bank account.

Year 2 - £100 mill spent on the squad - offset by TV revenue for that year of £100 mill. Zero net spend. Leaving us £570 million in the bank.

Year 3 - Feck it, let's go crazy, £300 mill on the squad - £100 mill min comes in from TV revenue. Sponsorships, shirt sales and other income streams now producing - £50 mill in from that. That's a net spend of £150 mill - leaving £420 mill in the bank.

Year 4 - TV income and other revenue now levelling up whatever we need spend to to up the squad and wages - even a 50 million loss we still have £370 mill in the bank.

Year 5 - Breaking even, maybe a little profit - Tony's original investment returning and in that time the outlay has been no greater than £250 mill.

£600 mill as a lump sum to start with is absolutely plenty.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

£600 mill as a lump sum to start with is absolutely plenty.

Completely agree. 

It's how you spend the money is the important thing. Look at Man City, Chelsea, us under Lerner, Leeds (previously) etc. They have spent big money, is it representative of success? Man City have been ridiculous, and now have to have the best manager in the game to win the Champions League. Chelsea change managers as often as their socks and with healthy fees alongside that. 

Look at Leicester, Spurs, Southampton however and they don't spend much money but they have all had a good season. Leicester, granted is 1 season but that was built on the foundations of the last few years of good money management. 

Southampton, again seem to sell their best players and managers and still keep pushing. Again proper reinvestment in the team. 

And Spurs, how does Levy keep getting so much for players?! The point is though that their money goes exceptionally far, and one would argue if they can keep Champions League football this season they will stick it out for a while. They have a good young foundation and are wanting to build on that. I can see them really breaking the top 4 properly. 

What Tony is clear about is that the Man City/Chelsea way is possible of course, but leads to masses of excess and is completely unprofitable. Spurs/Southampton however show you can be challenging the top 4, pushing for titles/cups and still make money. This is the model Tony has said he wants to follow rather than just throw money at the problem. 

That makes me very happy :D

• Like 1

Once we've got the first team squad upgraded and are on our way this season, we need to invest in the best youth scouts and coaching possible.  To be able to get to where we should rightfully be, and Tony wants us to be, we can't keep buying full new squads each season however much money we have as there will inevitably be times when it goes wrong.  We also need to be bringing through home grown players developed in the Villa way much more successfully than we have been doing recently.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

and intends to attend the majority of the club’s home games

I've never heard of an owner who attends club games. What is this strange new custom? :blink:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

Now, I am a Villa follower. Honestly I will be lying if I tell you I am now a Villa fan, as I haven't really watched a single Villa game in which I support Villa like a real fan does. Quite oppositely I watched a few Villa games last season and I supported the other clubs.... (I know I am guilty on that....:))

However I do plan to travel to Birmingham for a few matches next season to support Villa, and by that time, I will be confident in saying I am a Villa fan. 

And hopefully when I do watch the game at Villa Park sometime next season, you guys there would be very happy, instead of shouting 'Xia and RDM out! at VP'... :D

This is much more than the majority of Man United fans can say. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyone else think it's disrespectful as hell how they constantly keep asking Tony how much money he has? I don't think I have ever seen them handle any other owner/chairman/director etc like this. Arseholes!

A point of comparison. Donald Trump consistently goes on about his wealth, over and over and over again to the point of ad nauseam. Really, it's the kind of thing a "billionaire" doesn't do. You don't hear Bill Gates or Elon Musk re-affirming how wealthy they are for example. Forbes estimate Trump's real wealth to be closer to $1.1b to $2b max, yet he continually claims $10b+.

To bring it back to big Tone, he doesn't speak about how much he has banked outside of suggesting there is ample funds. This strikes me as a sign of him not worrying about his wealth or the funds he has access to. A pessimist could of course warp this to mean - he simply doesn't have it but I again point you to the example of Trump.

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I was not looking forward to the new season, but this takeover has imbued me with hope and a sense of optimism.

It will certainly be interesting.

Hope and optimism is taking hold at Villa Park...double relegation and bankruptcy are sure to follow soon!

Joking aside it is amazing how the last 5 years have eroded all hope at Villa, so many false dawns it's unreal. The ultimate insult being our £50 million spending spree followed by the worst season in premier league history! It's not hard to understand why there has been so much mistrust and scrutiny of Xia from some fans. Can we dare to dream again yet?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Hope and optimism is taking hold at Villa Park...double relegation and bankruptcy are sure to follow soon!

Joking aside it is amazing how the last 5 years have eroded all hope at Villa, so many false dawns it's unreal. The ultimate insult being our £50 million spending spree followed by the worst season in premier league history! It's not hard to understand why there has been so much mistrust and scrutiny of Xia from some fans. Can we dare to dream again yet?

It's been a living nightmare for a number for a number of years now.

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

that went out of fashion with the Shummanites ;)

I feel like I've missed a huge meme, lots of people mentioning shummanites over the past few months, what's a shummanite?  

Â