Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

18 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The story comes from Deadly's autobiography...

Here's the relevant quote:

Personally I wouldn't place too much faith in this account!

Given the fact Ellis wouldn't stretch to buying Juninho I reckon you're probably right. I mean, why not pay that little bit extra for him if Ellis liked what he'd seen? That story is bull. 

On 16/5/2017 at 17:07, DaveAV1 said:

Spending big in the Championship seems to be less of a guarantee of success, if there's any such thing, than in The Premiership, where it is more or less vital. I haven't looked at the stats but I would imagine with few exceptions, that there is a direct correlation between money spent and league position in the premier league. I don't think, certainly not in our case, that the same correlation can be applied to this division. 

Down here it seems to be more to do with coaching and team spirit. 

Not a strong correlation - but a strong one with wages

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd imagine that Reading's and Brighton's wage bills are at least half of ours.

Only Newcastle would be anywhere near ours I would have thought. It would be interesting to see if the 4 clubs in the play off places paid out the same total in wages all together as we did alone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndyGray1985 said:

In the PL - haven't seen anything on the Championship.

It's almost certainly true in the Championship too. It was certainly true - as a broad average, with exceptions - this season. 

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's almost certainly true in the Championship too. It was certainly true - as a broad average, with exceptions - this season. 

Us being the clear exception!

On 20.5.2017 at 22:11, briny_ear said:

Wonder if Xia's next tweet will be about how we could have bought Robbie Keane in 1999 but John Gregory refused it because he thought the price was £500,000 too high? :rant:

He's still an active professional footballer. Could end up here yet. :D 

• Like 1

Â