Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

I agree with much of that GH. Additionally, whilst I am half in bed with the notion of 'give Bruce a bit more time,' I do think it would be churlish if the Club were not looking at other potential suitors to the managerial post. We can't afford to push the button (if needed) and then scratch around for 'who is interested right now.' Easier said than done of course, but I think the Club is facing a make or break season. They can't afford to have any bases uncovered, or at least significantly thought about.

• Like 1

What DrT has to decide, if it is his decision, would a potential manager prefer to come in to a

"no margin for error" situation after 5/10/15 (or whatever) games

or

Pre-season from the off

?

If there is any element of doubt about the managerial position and his finger is on the trigger ready to pull, then whats the point of him waiting anyway?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

What DrT has to decide, if it is his decision, would a potential manager prefer to come in to a

or

Pre-season from the off

?

If there is any element of doubt about the managerial position and his finger is on the trigger ready to pull, then whats the point of him waiting anyway?

There will always be an element of doubt, no matter who the manage. Ron Saunders had plenty of doubters, Ellis probably would have sacked him in 1979 had he won his boardroom battle.

I have my doubts, but for me there isn't a standout candidate we could reasonably hope to get. I actually think we should be a bit nasty and stick with Bruce until a significantly better candidate appears. Sack him now, who we going to get ? - the bloke relegated middlesbrough ?  Dean Smith of Mighty Walsall and Brentford fame ? 

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

There will always be an element of doubt, no matter who the manage. Ron Saunders had plenty of doubters, Ellis probably would have sacked him in 1979 had he won his boardroom battle.

I have my doubts, but for me there isn't a standout candidate we could reasonably hope to get. I actually think we should be a bit nasty and stick with Bruce until a significantly better candidate appears. Sack him now, who we going to get ? - the bloke relegated middlesbrough ?  Dean Smith of Mighty Walsall and Brentford fame ? 

You mean the same Dean Smith that tactically outsmarted SB in our match this winter?

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fulham manager Jokovic (?)

Hull manager Silva

ShefW/Hudds managers when Reading win the playoffs

Soton's Puell if silva goes there

If DrT really is ambitious he could go for Dyche or even Howe (Bournemouth) after all they will only be repeating their achievements year on year till the bubble bursts, failure will not get them a PL job again, but they could achieve more at Villa with DrT's backing, what are they waiting for, the ManU/C/Spuds/Ars/Ski/Pool jobs?

8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Fulham manager Jokovic (?)

Hull manager Silva

ShefW/Hudds managers when Reading win the playoffs

Soton's Puell if silva goes there

If DrT really is ambitious he could go for Dyche or even Howe (Bournemouth) after all they will only be repeating their achievements year on year till the bubble bursts, failure will not get them a PL job again, but they could achieve more at Villa with DrT's backing, what are they waiting for, the ManU/C/Spuds/Ars/Ski/Pool jobs?

How many of those are gettable ?

I wouldn't really see Carvalho and Wagner as much of an upgrade 

the others right now - pretty much none of them are available. I have a sneaky feeling Dyche won't be at Burnley an awful lot longer if they start to struggle next season - he seems to have hit a ceiling there...

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

How many of those are gettable ?

I wouldn't really see Carvalho and Wagner as much of an upgrade 

the others right now - pretty much none of them are available. I have a sneaky feeling Dyche won't be at Burnley an awful lot longer if they start to struggle next season - he seems to have hit a ceiling there...

No question of doubt ALL of them IF DrT is as ambitious now as he was when he first stated his aims

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

No question of doubt ALL of them IF DrT is as ambitious now as he was when he first stated his aims

Hmmmmmm

Luring a manager from the prem to championship is big ask no matter what your ambitions. But we are where we are - how many of those managers listed could we appoint by say, Mid June ? - imo none.

Edited by hippo

17 hours ago, villarocker said:

Maybe Dr Tony is cautious about the qualities of Bruce and doesn't want to give him any more money in case he has to sack him after a few games. 

I would think many factors come in to play to make him think twice.

However, If every time we bought a player we made significant profits, when we sold them.....I suspect Dr Tone would be stuffing notes in to their hands.

In the last 10 years our record has been Iffy IMO.....so you can understand, caution being used.

conversely, I would think Levy & Lewis have been very happy in recent times.

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

or

Pre-season from the off

?

I understand your point GH, but there are very few  low pressure jobs, such is the financial rewards at stake.....they are all mainly " no margin for error"

and very few jobs come up, unless there is a crisis of some sort.

We have been on that carousel, much too often....I know its hackneyed for us.....but we need stability for a while.

Equally, there are also very few managerial jobs that are not in doubt, such is the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

You mean the same Dean Smith that tactically outsmarted SB in our match this winter?

do you mean the same SB that tactically out smarted Chris Hughton to deny him the league title.....Oh I know who you mean;)

• Like 2

Tactically outsmarted Hughton?

Brighton were winning for 85+ minutes and we were well on course to lose it till there keeper made a complete howler.

Bruce certainly is a Tactical Genius

I hope Xia makes the correct decision in the summer, our financial future depends on it.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, villarocker said:

Maybe Dr Tony is cautious about the qualities of Bruce and doesn't want to give him any more money in case he has to sack him after a few games. 

If there is doubt he must sack him. 

Seriously, if Tony Xia is planning to give Bruce no money this summer because he doesn't trust him, and then sack him after 10 matches if he doesn't get satisfactory results, he will prove to be a more useless owner than Lerner. That would leave us in utter chaos. It would be a massive self-inflicted wound.

Fortunately, this is all a fantasy. If Xia doesn't trust Bruce as manager he will sack him now. Otherwise, he will give him a season. Anything else would be disastrous.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

We have been on that carousel, much too often....I know its hackneyed for us.....but we need stability for a while.  

Tro you always say Time, Difficult job, pre-season....etc

So I say to you in reply

DrT - Bruce - Trigger - Pull - Wagner (for example)

On 16/05/2017 at 15:46, Wezbid said:

I don't understand the big fuss on not spending huge. How much have other teams in the play-offs and Brighton spent? It's more about getting good value for money and getting the team to play together.

The likes of Bree and Hourihane are more like it. I think some are still expecting Premiership type investment which is just ludicrous. 

The fact we spent loads is probably related to the fact that we didn't have a viable team to start with.  The rest of them have built their teams over time, ergo you spend less to make the final big jump.  I hope we spend wisely this summer on a few additions as we take our 'final jump'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Tro you always say Time, Difficult job, pre-season....etc

So I say to you in reply

DrT - Bruce - Trigger - Pull - Wagner (for example)

Wagner has the same kind of start he had at Huddersfield and we are bottom half 10 games in, then what?! Start of vicious circle again?

• Like 1

Â