Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Whilst I am sure sure Dr Tony has good intentions. I can't help but think he only has a vague idea how to run a football club. He has previously told us that the parachute payment money hadn't even been touched (implying that he was funding our moves in the transfer market) 

Throw the appointment of RDM on the strength of a CL win whilst briefly in charge of chelsea - and you can see further down the line we are now royally screwed. Basically we have to tough it out with all the other clubs in this league - our financial muscle counts for nothing (apparently).

I m sure the thought will come that  Dr Tony has done little more the blow our parachute payment money and has now run for the hills. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 08:43, sne said:

Gotta feel sorry for the Doctor.

He entrusted his club and money in the hands of the wrong people who acted like someone who just won the lottery.

Terrible transfer strategy, poor lazy appointments, no plan other than helping your pals.

If it is as bad as expected and suggested in the papers then I really hope he goes all in and replaces the whole lot.

Start anew with a whole new set of people, from Round to Calderwood and everyone between.

We have an OK squad, we just overspent hugely on it.

If he doesn't act now we are doomed, doomed I tells ya!

No, we are not doomed or anything like it.....its a tough job, not an impossible one.

I agree in the sense that i feel sorry for him too.

my solution is......let them trade their way out of it.

no more money, unless a ridiculous deal rears its head.

no more staff running away, face the music and deal with it....it requires a manly approach not a bunch of pussies....i think steve has that quality.

ps they all have to play their way out of this.

Edited by TRO

I am sorry but Dr Xia told he has cash to make us great again, he told us he was going to come and live here , he told us he was going to build an Aston Villa theme park. The reality is he hasn't bankrolled us a all - he has spent one seasons parachute payment money to try and get us back up. and has now said even if it weren't for FFP - there wouldn't be big spending this summer.

Wots he was promising us last june is very different to he is talking about now  'Grow in a sustainable way'  - basically we are bog standard championship club.

18 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well we are is first football club, so him having a "vague" Idea how to run one is a given surely?

Thats the point of the CEO and the rest of the board.

So if anything it is them who have failed HIM.

As well as him who has failed to appoint the right people.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

I am sorry but Dr Xia told he has cash to make us great again, he told us he was going to come and live here , he told us he was going to build an Aston Villa theme park. The reality is he hasn't bankrolled us a all - he has spent one seasons parachute payment money to try and get us back up. and has now said even if it weren't for FFP - there wouldn't be big spending this summer.

Wots he was promising us last june is very different to he is talking about now  'Grow in a sustainable way'  - basically we are bog standard championship club.

I think you are missing the point that if we overspend this summer we will face fines and loss of points which could result in us losing the right for promotion should we achieve it

In reality Tony Xia has done everything he has said he would do and more... we have one of if not the best squad in the Championship and it is now down to the manager, coaches and players to achieve promotion.

We have enough players in our squad to offload to bankroll bringing in a couple more players in the positions we require.

Give the bloke a chance, he's only been in charge of the club for season, it's not going to all happen overnight.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I think you are missing the point that if we overspend this summer we will face fines and loss of points which could result in us losing the right for promotion should we achieve it

In reality Tony Xia has done everything he has said he would do and more... we have one of if not the best squad in the Championship and it is now down to the manager, coaches and players to achieve promotion.

We have enough players in our squad to offload to bankroll bringing in a couple more players in the positions we require.

Give the bloke a chance, he's only been in charge of the club for season, it's not going to all happen overnight.

I am all for giving him a chance. Indeed he is our best hope. But lets face it he's made a few mistakes so far. and he is already proposing something different that what he did last june.

47 minutes ago, hippo said:

Could it not just be that he's realised that if we have too many changes every season, there's no stability and we lose half a season bedding new players in.  The continual rotating door that is our squad is self defeating and wasteful.  Maybe he's just started to wise up.

We blew a rare opportunity to bounce back up - if we would have spent all of that money well, rather than blowing massive sums on mercenaries, we'd have been promoted. Tony has given lots of money to people who do not know how to spend it, he has been burnt, he's right to want to do things in a more sustainable way going forward. Rightly he will look at other teams getting promoted on a fraction of our budget and want us to at least in some part, emulate that. What should distinguish us is that where there is a legit. opportunity to bring in 'quality' we will probably have deeper pockets than the rest, but the primacy should be on value first and foremost. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

If true I don't blame Xia one bit - we have a first 11 as good as any in the League, and have another 4/5 good enough for the Squad - so we need 3/4 and need to get rid of about 14 - cant blame Tony if that's how he sees it too.

I think this sums things up nicely.

I actually don’t think we are in too bad a position going forward and I think despite making mistakes initially we haven’t paid to too heavy a price for them.

I think in hindsight it was always a huge ask to get us up in one season. We had been in decline for 6 years and he took over after one of the worst seasons in the clubs history. I don’t see how anyone could have turned that around in a few months. He certainly made a mistake in appointing RDM and consequently RDM then wasted a fair amount of money not helped though by us paying over the odds for a lot of players which was almost certainly due to the fact we had given it the Billy Big Bollocks in terms of how much we had to spend when Xia came in and he is culpable there. It may be that he has learned from that given how he is talking now.

We go into next season though in much better shape than what we went into the last one. As you say we have a first 11 as good as any in the league now and then another handful who are capable of pushing those in front of them. You add another 3 or 4 to that and combined with a bit of stability in the managerial and coaching dept. and a full pre season together off the back of this season then I think we will have more than enough to be challenging for automatic promotion.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We blew a rare opportunity to bounce back up - if we would have spent all of that money well, rather than blowing massive sums on mercenaries, we'd have been promoted. Tony has given lots of money to people who do not know how to spend it, he has been burnt, he's right to want to do things in a more sustainable way going forward. Rightly he will look at other teams getting promoted on a fraction of our budget and want us to at least in some part, emulate that. What should distinguish us is that where there is a legit. opportunity to bring in 'quality' we will probably have deeper pockets than the rest, but the primacy should be on value first and foremost. 

It's not the players - it's the manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I'm sure he has invested quite a bit of how own money in the club. When you combine transfer fees and wages the club must be running at a loss now. He's quite right to pull back on transfers. We need stability. Too many changes in the last two seasons. 

Whilst I do agree with 'pulling' back and being 'smarter', it will certainly be interesting to see how it develops. Maybe I'm scarred by Villa but this certainly does bring back memories of Lerner 'pulling back' his investments, having being burnt by MON.

10 minutes ago, eholm said:

This is Tony restricting spending purely due to FFP compliance and the potential consequences and has nothing to do with his willingness, or lack of, to invest in the squad. Two completely different things IMO.

Tony has he wouldn't be spending even without FFP restrictions  (his words not mine)

IME once an owner stops investing, they don't often start again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eholm said:

This is Tony restricting spending purely due to FFP compliance and the potential consequences and has nothing to do with his willingness, or lack of, to invest in the squad. Two completely different things IMO.

I hope it's both.

We can't really have a culture where the people below Xia thinks we can just throw money at the problems until it's fixed.

The manager needs first and foremost  work to get the best out of what he has available because we already have a squad that should be able to compete in the Championship, and with possibly a few additions reach automatic promotion.

If Bruce (not saying he does) feels he needs a complete rehaul  of the squad then I feel it's easier, cheaper and better to replace Bruce.

• Like 4

Â