Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Haven't posted for a couple of months, although always been checking VT every day :)

(slightly) OOT (from the next manager/if Xia wants to spend big kind of topics):

how do you guys think about the recent take-over of Reading club? Compared to Tony Xia when he bought Villa last year, the new owners of Reading are really really 'famous' in Chinese football. I can share a few funny stories when they were the owner of a Chinese club before. And I wonder what will happen if Reading win at the playoff final, considering that they have been rejected by the FA as 'inappropriate owners' for owning a PL club when they planned to take over Hull?

1 minute ago, Deisler123 said:

Haven't posted for a couple of months, although always been checking VT every day :)

(slightly) OOT (from the next manager/if Xia wants to spend big kind of topics):

how do you guys think about the recent take-over of Reading club? Compared to Tony Xia when he bought Villa last year, the new owners of Reading are really really 'famous' in Chinese football. I can share a few funny stories when they were the owner of a Chinese club before. And I wonder what will happen if Reading win at the playoff final, considering that they have been rejected by the FA as 'inappropriate owners' for owning a PL club when they planned to take over Hull?

Do tell, I have a Reading supporting mate who is full of beans at the moment and I want to bring him down...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Do tell, I have a Reading supporting mate who is full of beans at the moment and I want to bring him down...

Haha not sure if you can, but he will probably bring you down quite easily if they win the playoff. 

Now the story. :)

Story one:

Dai family is not super rich (like Wanda or Huawei kind of things), but having at least 1.5-2.5 billion, enough to run Reading that is for sure. The sister is more famous in football as she used to be the owner of Guizhou Renhe club.

A few years ago, at the Chinese FA cup final (two legs game), her club won 2:0 at home in the first leg. She was very happy after the match, and said (in front of the camera and all media) in the changing room to the players that, she will give 60 millions RMB (around 7 million pounds) as a bonus reward to the players if they win the cup. Then in the second leg, they lose 1:2 but win the cup.

When the media asked her if she has given the bonus to the players, she said: ''well, in 60 millions, there are some from friends who promised after the first leg win. At that time we (they) were too drunk and said that. If today they give what they promised, I will give my share''.

No one knows if she has given the money to the players in the end.

One year later - the club got relegated from the super league. She then moved the club from Guiyang (a city at the south-west boarder of China) to Beijing, as she believes her company (or the club) will gain better financial benefits in Beijing.

This club is known in China as 'homeless dog' as they changed the home cities for 3 times (for business purpose) in 10 years. Fans (apart from their own) think they are a disgrace.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Haha not sure if you can, but he will probably bring you down quite easily if they win the playoff. 

Now the story. :)

Story one:

Dai family is not super rich (like Wanda or Huawei kind of things), but having at least 1.5-2.5 billion, enough to run Reading that is for sure. The sister is more famous in football as she used to be the owner of Guizhou Renhe club.

A few years ago, at the Chinese FA cup final (two legs game), her club won 2:0 at home in the first leg. She was very happy after the match, and said (in front of the camera and all media) in the changing room to the players that, she will give 60 millions RMB (around 7 million pounds) as a bonus reward to the players if they win the cup. Then in the second leg, they lose 1:2 but win the cup.

When the media asked her if she has given the bonus to the players, she said: ''well, in 60 millions, there are some from friends who promised after the first leg win. At that time we (they) were too drunk and said that. If today they give what they promised, I will give my share''.

No one knows if she has given the money to the players in the end.

One year later - the club got relegated from the super league. She then moved the club from Guiyang (a city at the south-west boarder of China) to Beijing, as she believes her company (or the club) will gain better financial benefits in Beijing.

This club is known in China as 'homeless dog' as they changed the home cities for 3 times (for business purpose) in 10 years. Fans (apart from their own) think they are a disgrace.

So, now I understand your concerns! Basically, because Reading isn't a large town and has a small support base, you can see them moving to Birmingham where they would be the only Premier League club (if Villa don't go up in the meantime) and would have a big support base to cherry-pick from.

However, when the mighty Villains return and rightly take back the glory hunters of the city, the minnows of Reading will then become the homeless dog of English football :D

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

This is what SOME of the 'Bruce out' crew haven't thought through enough. What if the next manager fails and we suddenly realise that Bruce was on the right path, albeit slow and painful. 

No some seem to think that there is an endless supply of progressive managers, who have won a few games in a row, playing pretty football, with a cheap squad ( hope I covered it all) so we can sack managers whenever they don't cater to our every impatient whim. 

We expect instant success yet we have been total crap for a good 5 (at least) years. 

My mate was going out with a girl and she moved in with him. He found out thatwithout all her make-up she looked quite plain, she could cook at all, and was very messy around the house and to top it all off she wasnt that great in bed either.

If he asked me for an opinion do you think I should say stick with it, she might learn to cook, she might start to tidy up a bit more and she might become a bit more adventerous in bed or do you think I should tell him to cut his losses as the next one has got to be better than she is?

If I could see that Bruce was taking us on a path I might agree with your views, at the moment we seem to be stuck on the car park trying to decide who is carrying the case of beer and who is taking the lead................

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

My mate was going out with a girl and she moved in with him. He found out thatwithout all her make-up she looked quite plain, she could cook at all, and was very messy around the house and to top it all off she wasnt that great in bed either.

If he asked me for an opinion do you think I should say stick with it, she might learn to cook, she might start to tidy up a bit more and she might become a bit more adventerous in bed or do you think I should tell him to cut his losses as the next one has got to be better than she is?

If I could see that Bruce was taking us on a path I might agree with your views, at the moment we seem to be stuck on the car park trying to decide who is carrying the case of beer and who is taking the lead................

Blimey, your mate moves quick!! I've never moved in with a girl before I've slept with her, seen her without make up and hungover, been to her place, been cooked for by her etc. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to see if there's a future with a girl before I move in with her.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree @mykeyb. Blind faith just doesn't cut it.

And it's because I make sure she's the right girl for me before I move in, that I have the confidence to stay with her when we inevitably have a bit of a barney, or go through a bit of a rough patch, rather than ditching her in the blind hope I can find someone better.

• Like 1

And if that girl already has 4 kids with other guys it's a safe bet she'll have another one with you, right? ;)

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Godders said:

Blimey, your mate moves quick!! I've never moved in with a girl before I've slept with her, seen her without make up and hungover, been to her place, been cooked for by her etc. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to see if there's a future with a girl before I move in with her.

I'd also want to know whether the girl is capable of climbing a gate or has had a 6 year affair with my horrible clearing in the woods of a neighbour too. 

On 5/17/2017 at 19:01, AshVilla said:

Tactically outsmarted Hughton?

Brighton were winning for 85+ minutes and we were well on course to lose it till there keeper made a complete howler.

Bruce certainly is a Tactical Genius

I hope Xia makes the correct decision in the summer, our financial future depends on it.

They might have been winning, but we were in the ascendency in terms of performance.....it seems on here that some "want their cake and eat it"

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They might have been winning, but we were in the ascendency in terms of performance.....it seems on here that some "want their cake and eat it"

Bloody hell TRO, Brighton have been good and successful all season as well as being widely regarded as very good to watch. An 89th minute goal keeping error earns us a draw at home and suddenly that makes Bruce a tactical genius. I respect a lot of what you say, even if I don't agree with it, but that's pushing the Bruce love a bit far for me. He may have some likeable attributes  but even the man himself seems to be a little dismissive of tactics, even if he was being ironic when he said it. 

Solid, experienced, a history of promotion are all saleable attributes if you've got a Steve Bruce to sell, but tactically superior to Chris Hughton is probably slightly harder to sell than condoms to the Pope. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Bloody hell TRO, Brighton have been good and successful all season as well as being widely regarded as very good to watch. An 89th minute goal keeping error earns us a draw at home and suddenly that makes Bruce a tactical genius. I respect a lot of what you say, even if I don't agree with it, but that's pushing the Bruce love a bit far for me. He may have some likeable attributes  but even the man himself seems to be a little dismissive of tactics, even if he was being ironic when he said it. 

Solid, experienced, a history of promotion are all saleable attributes if you've got a Steve Bruce to sell, but tactically superior to Chris Hughton is probably slightly harder to sell than condoms to the Pope. 

Easy Tiger.......I was making a speculative claim to another speculative claim, its called a response.

Dave, Steve Bruce may have been dismissive towards tactics, but one of my earlier posts explained how guardiola and Klopp have made equally surprising claims.

It seems we had "Tactics Tim" and now "Tactics Steve".....It appears tactics are the be all and end all for some......without tactics there is nothing to moan about.

Incidently, I am not trying to sell Steve Bruce, just defend him against debatable comments.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Easy Tiger.......I was making a speculative claim to another speculative claim, its called a response.

Dave, Steve Bruce may have been dismissive towards tactics, but one of my earlier posts explained how guardiola and Klopp have made equally surprising claims.

It seems we had "Tactics Tim" and now "Tactics Steve".....It appears tactics are the be all and end all for some......without tactics there is nothing to moan about.

Incidently, I am not trying to sell Steve Bruce, just defend him against debatable comments.

Good morning TRO. I did see what you said about other managers and I accept that managers may at times make irony laced comments that are more for public consumption than anything to do with the training ground.  Tactics and their importance can be interpreted differently by all of us and I agree are only a part of the game, but they definitely can't be dismissed, anymore than things like application and talent.

Thanks for pointing out what a "response" is Pettle. I'll raise you,  that all comments are "debatable", when in a debating chamber such as this. ROARRRR :P

• Like 1

Â