Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Finally got our man 20 years later! Now for Vieri!

I bet today's version of Roberto Carlos would still be better than the likes of Cissokho and Amavi. Get him in to coach the full backs how to get forward!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Good morning TRO. I did see what you said about other managers and I accept that managers may at times make irony laced comments that are more for public consumption than anything to do with the training ground.  Tactics and their importance can be interpreted differently by all of us and I agree are only a part of the game, but they definitely can't be dismissed, anymore than things like application and talent.

Thanks for pointing out what a "response" is Pettle. I'll raise you,  that all comments are "debatable", when in a debating chamber such as this. ROARRRR :P

Dave, other managers comments are for anyone to interpret how they like.....but these guys are amongst the best.

I wasn't trying to dismiss tactics, just trying to put them in perspective.....there are oodles of other things that dictate a performance and result, not JUST tactics.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Dave, other managers comments are for anyone to interpret how they like.....but these guys are amongst the best.

I wasn't trying to dismiss tactics, just trying to put them in perspective.....there are oodles of other things that dictate a performance and result, not JUST tactics.

I quite agree TRO, it's tying those oodles of things together in a successful combination that makes a good manager. The combination may be different for each manager but the good ones are able to make them all work together. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I quite agree TRO, it's tying those oodles of things together in a successful combination that makes a good manager. The combination may be different for each manager but the good ones are able to make them all work together. 

I could not agree more.

But as time passes they get to deal with more and more and thats when it comes right.....We will be ok next season Dave.....not getting arrogant, because its a tough league, but we will be alright.

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

I could not agree more.

But as time passes they get to deal with more and more and thats when it comes right.....We will be ok next season Dave.....not getting arrogant, because its a tough league, but we will be alright.

I hope you're right mate I really do. Generally I'm supportive of whoever is in the hot seat for longer than most, but I'm struggling to be convinced by Steve Bruce even though I like him as a bloke and think he is genuinely on board and doing his best. I'm just not sure his brand of football allied with his abilities can still cut it.

I had my hair cut yesterday and the guy who did it is a Leeds fan and genuinely interested and knowledgeable about football in general. During the conversation he questioned whether Mourinio's powers were on the wain. That of course is very open to debate, but his last two seasons in English football haven't been convincing by his standards. My point is that everyone has a sell by date, even the best, and I think perhaps Steve Bruce could have reached his.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Can we please stop talking Steve Bruce... it's boring enough in the Steve Bruce thread but at least I can avoid that. I come in here for comments on Xia.

Steve Bruce boring? How very dare you!

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I hope you're right mate I really do. Generally I'm supportive of whoever is in the hot seat for longer than most, but I'm struggling to be convinced by Steve Bruce even though I like him as a bloke and think he is genuinely on board and doing his best. I'm just not sure his brand of football allied with his abilities can still cut it.

I had my hair cut yesterday and the guy who did it is a Leeds fan and genuinely interested and knowledgeable about football in general. During the conversation he questioned whether Mourinio's powers were on the wain. That of course is very open to debate, but his last two seasons in English football haven't been convincing by his standards. My point is that everyone has a sell by date, even the best, and I think perhaps Steve Bruce could have reached his.

Hey! you could be right, I don't think so, as you know, but I could be wrong.

for me Pochettino is the best around right now, but they all have their day in the sun......I still think its the players, you have to have the players......now I know its the managers job to assemble them and i think thats where we need to get it right.....we do get some right, but we need a team.

I just happen to think for too long we have bought too many wrong......trouble is now, where we are its more difficult than ever.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah, he's afraid of flying so he won't be able to come along on all our Champions League away games.

That's probably why we turned him down before he went to Arsenal. Although I heard a rumour that Deadly told him his story about inventing the bicycle kick and Bergkamp didn't want to live forever in his shadow. 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 07:30, villa4europe said:

I need more info on the nearly signed roberto Carlos in 98 tweet this morning, that was news to me, never heard that story before

I'm not sure it was 98 but a few years earlier as he was at Real Madrid then and scoring that amazing free kick.

I believe we tried to get him when he wasn't playing much at Inter Milan in 96 which would fit given we played 3-5-2 to great success back then.

Isn't Roberto Carlos a manager now.....runs down the bookies on him being our next boss.

On 19/05/2017 at 07:30, villa4europe said:

I need more info on the nearly signed roberto Carlos in 98 tweet this morning, that was news to me, never heard that story before

The story comes from Deadly's autobiography...

Here's the relevant quote:

Chairman Doug Ellis wrote in his 1998 autobiography (reproduced on thefreelibrary.com, via the Birmingham Post) about how the incredible deal progressed following a Brazil vs Sweden friendly at Villa Park in the summer of 1995:

I was so impressed with Juninho and Roberto Carlos that I sounded out the Brazilian president about them and he expressed the view that Carlos could be available. He [Carlos] said he was very impressed with the club and the facilities, and would be interested in joining us. 

Then it emerged the player would accept a contract with us, paid in American dollars, at a rate that was no higher than our highest-paid players of that time. Unfortunately, Brian Little was less enthusiastic than myself and thus we did not pursue the deal.

Given "Deadly" Doug's active imagination and penchant for bending the truth—he did after all claim in his autobiography to have invented the bicycle kick, per Sky Sports—the story of Carlos may just be that, a story.

Personally I wouldn't place too much faith in this account!

• Like 1

Â