Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

Have to say I'm slightly, just slightly a little deflated on the doctor compared to last year. This is a self made billionaire, a forward thinking, ambitious owner and here we are with Steve Bruce on the verge of signing 36 year old John Terry. 

I hope it all works out because he seems like he could be fantastic for us if we get promoted. It's just looking unlikely. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Have to say I'm slightly, just slightly a little deflated on the doctor compared to last year. This is a self made billionaire, a forward thinking, ambitious owner and here we are with Steve Bruce on the verge of signing 36 year old John Terry. 

I hope it all works out because he seems like he could be fantastic for us if we get promoted. It's just looking unlikely. 

• I thought you thought he was a shit, just seems strange to say that, when you have an apparent jaundiced view of him....have you abandoned his character, and decide to appraise him as a footballer?
  • Interestingly, why do you think it looks unlikely?

My apologies DC......I read the last line that you was talking about John Terry, not the Doc.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • I thought you thought he was a shit, just seems strange to say that, when you have an apparent jaundiced view of him....have you abandoned his character, and decide to appraise him as a footballer?
  • Interestingly, why do you think it looks unlikely?

I think he meant the Doc. Not John Terry.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The first fantastic thing he has to do is actually get us promoted. Hence Steve Bruce and John Terry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he meant the Doc. Not John Terry.

Reading it again, you could be right.....In which case my response was null and void.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The first fantastic thing he has to do is actually get us promoted. Hence Steve Bruce and John Terry.

Well that's what's looking unlikely to do it. A player who has no chance of playing the vast majority of games and a manager who failed to meet his own targets last year and led us to a 13th place finish playing atrocious football. 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well that's what's looking unlikely to do it. A player who has no chance of playing the vast majority of games and a manager who failed to meet his own targets last year and led us to a 13th place finish playing atrocious football. 

i get what you mean.. but im prepared to give Bruce an off season. We need a bit more continuity and so do the players. We have so many players that were bought from different managers.. its crazy. We want a few transfer windows with one manager so they are all on side with him. If we are nowhere near the top 3-4 sides by Jan. Id get rid then. 

Just now, KSV said:

i get what you mean.. but im prepared to give Bruce an off season. We need a bit more continuity and so do the players. We have so many players that were bought from different managers.. its crazy. We want a few transfer windows with one manager so they are all on side with him. If we are nowhere near the top 3-4 sides by Jan. Id get rid then. 

If we give him to Jan we could be in trouble. I think he's got 10 games to make sure we are right in the mix for automatic promotion. 

Bruce will get the chance to succeed but like I say, my current feeling is very different than last summer.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we give him to Jan we could be in trouble. I think he's got 10 games to make sure we are right in the mix for automatic promotion. 

Bruce will get the chance to succeed but like I say, my current feeling is very different than last summer.

Maybe. If we start like we did the last season. he probably will be gone after 10 games. RDM was. He definitely deserves a pre season. Lets see how he goes. He clearly believes in the squad.. but going by him trying to bring in a few senior players.. he must believe the squad lacks leaders.. hence the Terry move. 

I have a very different feeling to last summer too.. but i have no doubts about Tony Xia. We got a good owner there that has been badly advised. Hes gone a more safe option with Bruce. Lets see what happens. 

Edited by KSV

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

First thing he needs to do is convince the other 30 players on our books that Aston Villa isn't a holiday club

The problems at villa are there for everyone to see, have been for 5+ years now, no one seems to know the answer, we didn't last year either

john terry is the new law man in town, you will respect his authority...doubt he'll do much of anything on the pitch, off the pitch leader though? We're desperate for it

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

If I put myself in his position I’d probably be doing exactly the same.

He wants us promoted clearly and then to kick on from there. To achieve the first objective a quarter of the way through last season he appointed a manager who had four promotions from this division on his CV, the last of which was a few months before his appointment. Seems like a wise move.

I don’t want to turn this into the Steve Bruce thread so again I will try and see this from Xia’s perspective. Based on what Keith Wyness said in March both himself, Xia and Bruce inherited a whole heap of issues that couldn’t be fixed overnight and things were way worse than any of them envisaged. What it would take to fix it is time and some stability.

That is where we find ourselves now. Going into a season having allowed a manager with an excellent CV at this level, three quarters of a season to access what he inherited, one transfer window to make changes to it.

For the first time in years we are no on the verge of having had some stability. For the first time in years we aren’t looking to rip things up and start again we are looking to tweak the squad. Looking at bringing in a handful of additions. John Terry it seems could well be one of those. Again I am just going to look at this from Xia’s perspective but he will know that we have a weak underbelly and it seems logical a good way to help fix that is to bring in a born leader on the pitch. Arguably the best captain of any club in this country for a generation.

Everything Xia has done so far has been about getting us promoted. I think it is all very short term and going at break neck speed to get us up within two years. Once that is achieved then we will see a whole different approach and a new level of investment.

To get over that first big hurdle though having a manager with a fantastic record in terms of getting clubs promoted and having the best leader on the pitch in the country should certainly help.

You make a lot of good points. I'm not turning on Xia I'm just slightly deflated from where I was last summer. 

If it doesn't work this year then I don't see what the new approach will be. We don't seem to be a pro active forward thinking club. We've gone for a safe manager at the time and thrown loads of cash at it. It looked sensible at times but after 35/36 games it's now looking unlikely to achieve the success we need. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

First thing he needs to do is convince the other 30 players on our books that Aston Villa isn't a holiday club

The problems at villa are there for everyone to see, have been for 5+ years now, no one seems to know the answer, we didn't last year either

john terry is the new law man in town, you will respect his authority...doubt he'll do much of anything on the pitch, off the pitch leader though? We're desperate for it

I just don't see it. I don't see why a man with a couple of years left in his career, earning 3 to 4 times what everyone else is earning, is going to inspire everyone when sitting around not playing. Why is that so motivating for everyone else? 

What he will do is generate a lot of buzz, which Xia will like and is an easy option for Bruce. He's not someone who needs coaching or developing. 

When peter Schmeichel came to Villa, Ian Taylor said the whole changing room sat up and gave them a lift.

Taylor Mk 1 brought in old heads like Steve Simms and Mark Lillis to help us out of the division.

Big Ron - He brought in loads of old experienced, Ive Seen Frank MacVennie play up front for Villa!  Les Sealey etc  And even Big Crylle Regis that first season.

Sometimes an Old head can help calm everyone down.

Saying that not sure about Terry as never really liked him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't see it. I don't see why a man with a couple of years left in his career, earning 3 to 4 times what everyone else is earning, is going to inspire everyone when sitting around not playing. Why is that so motivating for everyone else? 

What he will do is generate a lot of buzz, which Xia will like and is an easy option for Bruce. He's not someone who needs coaching or developing. 

i dont think its inspiration we need, sometimes i just think they need a good old round of **** put in to them, i didnt want pearson as manager because i didnt think it would work but i think terry might, when the older heads at the club are richards and gabby you can see why we're in trouble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How can you not be inspired by one of the best defenders of a generation that has won everything! 

If he's not playing and earning 4 times you do. I'd imagine theres nothing inspiring about that. 

• Like 1

Â