Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tony has he wouldn't be spending even without FFP restrictions  (his words not mine)

IME once an owner stops investing, they don't often start again. 

Maybe not spending to the levels he has which is surely sensible strategy. IF we don't go up next season the finances will be even tighter so a prudent approach IMO especially considering the investment he has already made and the comparison to other more successful teams in the Championship. I don't agree with your last point as I am sure he will invest very heavily again once/if promotion is achieved.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

I don't understand the big fuss on not spending huge. How much have other teams in the play-offs and Brighton spent? It's more about getting good value for money and getting the team to play together.

The likes of Bree and Hourihane are more like it. I think some are still expecting Premiership type investment which is just ludicrous. 

The less we spend the less likely we are to go up IMO. Thats a big deal.

Spending big in the Championship seems to be less of a guarantee of success, if there's any such thing, than in The Premiership, where it is more or less vital. I haven't looked at the stats but I would imagine with few exceptions, that there is a direct correlation between money spent and league position in the premier league. I don't think, certainly not in our case, that the same correlation can be applied to this division. 

Down here it seems to be more to do with coaching and team spirit. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

For me, we spent way more than I thought we would in our first season down here.... and we finished 13th.

• Like 3

Gollini, McCormack, Tshibola, thats £20-25m wasted right there. 

Hogan, Hourihane, Bree, Lansbury might come good next season and could turn out to be good signings, although IMO we spent way too much on Hogan. That's  £20 m that could be good, bad or OK'ish.

Chester, Kodija, Taylor, Adomah and Jedi we IMO got about what we paid for pretty much.

Elphick was a disappointment but the price was about right I guess.

De Laet, Thor you can't really judge yet..

I'd say we wasted a whole lot of money considering we are a Championship team.

Bad luck, bad scouting, no overall strategy and players bought in without any idea of how to build a functioning 11 around them.

Paying PL wages in the Championship also means we are hemorrhaging money.

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Tony has he wouldn't be spending even without FFP restrictions  (his words not mine)

IME once an owner stops investing, they don't often start again. 

The new Randy Lerner maybe! Gets a new toy and spends a lot of pocket money trying to polish it then when he realises it's still a turd because the bloke he hired to do the polishing is a chimney sweep and not a valet he loses interest.

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Whilst I do agree with 'pulling' back and being 'smarter', it will certainly be interesting to see how it develops. Maybe I'm scarred by Villa but this certainly does bring back memories of Lerner 'pulling back' his investments, having being burnt by MON.

I agree with that.

I am generalising

I think the ingredient we are missing lends itself to the modest buys.....The big money buys in the main tend to bring with it the billy BB culture and encourages a bit of individualism as opposed to team work.

Having said that I do think we need an effective winger.

I think the next 3 or 4 need to be well thought through.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Maybe Dr Tony is cautious about the qualities of Bruce and doesn't want to give him any more money in case he has to sack him after a few games. 

Exactly what I intimated when the news first came out,

Can't blame him for being cautious.

As you know he is active on social media and will certainly have an eye on people thoughts and points.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hippo said:

Bollocks. We have spent 70m. Over two seasons that is 35m, I bet Brighton and others (outside of Newcastle) haven't spent that in 5 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Spending big did not get us up this season, so I don't know why you would think that.

So if we invested another £60 on players this summer - you feel our chances would diminish ? 

29 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Bollocks. We have spent 70m. Over two seasons that is 35m, I bet Brighton and others (outside of Newcastle) haven't spent that in 5 years.

I don't think this proves @hippo's point wrong. He didn't say it was impossible to go up without spending money, just that it made it less likely. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think this proves @hippo's point wrong. He didn't say it was impossible to go up without spending money, just that it made it less likely. 

We've thrown money at it. Now we need to build a team with what we have, remove the deadwood and then bring in only essential additions.

@hippo sorry if I misread or offended.

22 hours ago, eholm said:

This is Tony restricting spending purely due to FFP compliance and the potential consequences and has nothing to do with his willingness, or lack of, to invest in the squad. Two completely different things IMO.

This FFP is a smoke screen.  Villa Park could generate 100mill for naming rights eh Tony.  You any companies you want to sponsor villa? 

In saying that, do I think Tony is right not to spend more money on Players to we get rid of the chaff?  Yeah totally, our squad is to big, full of players going through the motions.  Our new players wont flourish until we get rid of some of the players who have been there through the poisonous regime of Lerners.

Â