England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Sam like Hodgson isnt an adventurous manager. 0-0 vs Slovakia or 2-1 down to Iceland I dont see him as a man that will make instinctive attacking subs to change the game

on other hand I dont think he would put up with nonsense attitude from players like Sterling and Hart among others though Andy Carroll will definite be a player happy with it

**** adventurous. What does that even mean?

He gets results.

Dunno if he'll get them with England, but the point is people wanting a manager who plays good football are, as usual, talking nonsense.

I want a manager who wins tournament matches.

• Like 1

Surprised if the FA appoint Allardyce... complete lack of personality seems to have been the key attribute the FA look for in a manager this last decade or so, he really doesn't fit the bill there. Hope he gets it though.

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

If we'd have won the Euro's playing the football that Portugal did I doubt there would be any calls for 'pretty' football right now.

Is the right answer.

I hope this means we can finally see Jay Jay Okocha get called up.

Probably the best appointment we could have made.  Someone that will pick a system and play the right players in that system.

19 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

If we'd have won the Euro's playing the football that Portugal did I doubt there would be any calls for 'pretty' football right now.

100% agree, not too many complaints after the win against Wales which was far from pretty

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Sam like Hodgson isnt an adventurous manager. 0-0 vs Slovakia or 2-1 down to Iceland I dont see him as a man that will make instinctive attacking subs to change the game

you dont have to make attacking subs, you have to have the players on the pitch know exactly what their roles are and what they should be doing, give them that bit of confidence which will enable them to stay calm and then we should beat the likes of slovakia and iceland, if that means we perform well but still lose to a team of better ability then thats acceptable by and large

what we cant do it play for 75 minutes a goal down and find that we have 11 players who dont know what the **** they should be doing, danny rose in the 87th minute coming over and asking roy how he wants him to play...i dont think you'll have that under sam, hodgson's terrible game management highlighted his terrible off the field management, i think sam would get at least one of them right

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

England have won 6 knockout games at major championships since 1966 :blink:

I'm more surprised it's that many than anything, considering we've only won 1 at the Euros or something.

I hope he does get the job, he's the ideal candidate, knows English football and will play to a system*

*FA permitting.

4 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Surprised if the FA appoint Allardyce... complete lack of personality

• Like 2

There's a reason England is so far behind other nations when it comes to football development, and that reason is to do with a style of football ingrained into the 'English way'. If England want to improve the last thing they need is someone who'll reinforce that style.

There is no right or wrong way to win tournaments, and more often than not they are won by the team with the best defence. If England become a solid team that can grind 1-0 wins against good opposition, they will have improved significantly.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, useless said:

There's a reason England is so far behind other nations when it comes to football development, and that reason is to do with a style of football ingrained into the 'English way'. If England want to improve the last thing they need is someone who'll reinforce that style.

I must have missed the brand new 'Portuguese way' of playing football. 

So just because Portugal have won a competition we must copy them. Besides they may have put in some good defensive performances, but they also have some very good technical players, who proved to be match-winners for them, it's not as if they're a blood and thunder team who've just a trophy.

Isn't Allardyce also notorilus for playing weakend teams in tournaments. Of course he won't do that with England but he hardly even has any experience of even trying to do well in them. If England really must insist on a English manager, then I'd like to say that they'd be better off with someone like Eddie Howe.

31 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

England are the equivalent of a lower mid-table Premier League team, so Allardyce would be perfect.  I never thought I'd say that I hope the FA appoints Sam Allardyce, but there you go.

I would've laughed at Allardyce a month ago but now I can see the sunlit uplands.

38 minutes ago, useless said:

So just because Portugal have won a competition we must copy them. Besides they may have put in some good defensive performances, but they also have some very good technical players, who proved to be match-winners for them, it's not as if they're a blood and thunder team who've just a trophy.

Portugal are hardly an anomaly though....Greece won it the same way in 2004, Spain 1 niled their way to 2010 world cup (although I accept their passing was a mile above what England can do) and Argentina reached last world cup final playing very defensive football.

No one is saying Big Sam is the messiah but England need structure and discipline at the back and maybe then some of the flair players can do something as England do have some of them.

• Like 1

Besides, Allardyce's style of football isn't much like Portugal's, Spain's or Greece's when they won. He isn't really a defensive manager, if people think that that's the way to go then Moyes would probably be a better choice (if he'd take the job). If they give the job to Allardyce I don't think he'll last long at all.