England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

IMV that would be Eddie Howe, but that would take balls on the part of the FA in order to take that risk, and they most certainly do not have those when it comes to international appointments.  People will say 'oh but he's too young' or 'give him time'.  Bollocks.  He's the best on offer and Venables back in the day was good enough to be whisked away to Barcelona at only (checks Wikipedia ...) 41 years of age.  OK it's not an identical scenario but my point is if you're good enough then it shouldn't matter.

As someone mentioned earlier Howe tried and failed at Burnley so his only success (granted its a huge one) is at no pressure Bournmouth. 

I don't think it would be brave of the FA to give it him I think it would be a little stupid.

Besides at this stage of his career I highly doubt he would want it.

27 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As someone mentioned earlier Howe tried and failed at Burnley so his only success (granted its a huge one) is at no pressure Bournmouth. 

I don't think it would be brave of the FA to give it him I think it would be a little stupid.

Besides at this stage of his career I highly doubt he would want it.

It would undoubtedly be a risk.  I guess it depends on whether you think the alternative i.e. in this case Allardyce, is the answer to England's woes.  If he's not, and many think he's not, then perhaps going with the riskier option has more potential benefits if he happens to be that good, rather than pretty much knowing what you're getting from a run of the mill clogger like Sam.  An(y) England team is going to qualify for a finals tournament.  The players alone are good enough to get you there.  Your problem has long been the games that matter; the knockout games. At that level, tactics do count.  I do wonder if Sam could out-think Eddie in setting up a team.

Spain, Germany and Brazil shit themselves

Spain, Germany and Brazil shit themselves

Sam Allardyce England manager

Following news that Sam Allardyce is to be appointed England manager, it has been reported that the Spain, Germany, and Brazil national football teams have collectively soiled themselves in abject terror.

“It is our greatest nightmare,” said Sergio Ramos, a greasy foreign cheat.

“Until now, we have been lucky that no England manager has ever been able to truly unlock the mercurial world-conquering talents of Chris Smalling and Theo Walcott.

“But now there is this Sam Allardyce in charge, and we will soon have to go back to cringing in envy as the mighty England reclaim their natural place as the greatest football team on the planet.”

It is understood that Italy are looking into ways to pre-emptively lose on penalties against England in the next tournament as there is literally no point in even trying anymore.

Argentina has disbanded their national team and relinquished all claim on the Falkland Islands, and Holland are just crying.

Naturalised Wales heroes Hal Robson-Kanu and Ashley Williams are said to have legal experts working on legitimate ways they can leave the Welsh squad and start playing for England again.

It is understood that Big Sam won’t allow the England job to interfere with his ‘How to be a brilliant manager’ seminars, which he holds weekly for Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho, and Pep Guardiola.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

It would undoubtedly be a risk.  I guess it depends on whether you think the alternative i.e. in this case Allardyce, is the answer to England's woes.  If he's not, and many think he's not, then perhaps going with the riskier option has more potential benefits if he happens to be that good, rather than pretty much knowing what you're getting from a run of the mill clogger like Sam.  An(y) England team is going to qualify for a finals tournament.  The players alone are good enough to get you there.  Your problem has long been the games that matter; the knockout games. At that level, tactics do count.  I do wonder if Sam could out-think Eddie in setting up a team.

I think Sam tactically is frequently under rated.

Tiki-hoof :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

Sam Allardyce To Usher In New ‘Tiki-Hoof’ Era As Part Of England Job

Sam Allardyce To Usher In New ‘Tiki-Hoof’ Era As Part Of England Job

THE FA are expected to unveil Sam Allardyce as England’s next scapegoat later today, and strong hints that he will be tasked with ushering in a new football revolution have already been dropped.

A new footballing philosophy dubbed ‘Tiki-Hoofy’ had been proposed by Allardyce in his interview and will be adopted at every level by the FA. A seamless mixture of one touch football from centre backs who then boot the ball as far up the pitch as possible will be perfected with long hours on the training ground, revolutionising the English footballing way which has in recent years simply involved losing.

The FA’s technical director Dan Ashworth has already been busy at the St. George’s Park training complex, transforming the immaculate pitches into hazardous mud baths, and has given his blessing to Allardyce’s plan to “scare the shit out of these jumped up millionaires”. The search for 10,000 6 foot 5 inch strikers, who will be integral to Tiki-Hoofy at all age levels, is now on.

Senior England players were consulted on the identity of the next England manager have been vocal in their dismay at Allardyce’s appointment. It is believed the players asked ‘what have we done to deserve this’ which prompted the FA to angrily shout ‘you know exactly what you’ve done to deserve this’ while they pointed at a replay of the Iceland game and an empty trophy cabinet.

Kevin Nolan has already been installed as England’s new captain with Jay Jay Okocha taking up the playmaker role vacated by the ghost of Wayne Rooney.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

IMV that would be Eddie Howe, but that would take balls on the part of the FA in order to take that risk, and they most certainly do not have those when it comes to international appointments.  People will say 'oh but he's too young' or 'give him time'.  Bollocks.  He's the best on offer and Venables back in the day was good enough to be whisked away to Barcelona at only (checks Wikipedia ...) 41 years of age.  OK it's not an identical scenario but my point is if you're good enough then it shouldn't matter.

I'd argue pretty strongly that Allardyce is a better manager than Howe.

Howe has potential though, but it would be a HUGE gamble.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'd argue pretty strongly that Allardyce is a better manager than Howe.

Howe has potential though, but it would be a HUGE gamble.

I think the point I was generally (and badly) trying to make is that the difference to England of having a good manager or a bad manager is the difference between getting knocked out in the quarters or getting knocked out in the last 16, so why not go with someone who, as you say, has potential and might surprise people.

• Like 1

I think Howe would have been a big risk but one worth taking IMO. What have we got to lose after all the only downside would have been for him. 

That said you can't say Sam doesn't deserve his chance. If he gets us to a semi he'll be the most famous person in the Country so I reckon he'll be backing himself to do that. 

25 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think the point I was generally (and badly) trying to make is that the difference to England of having a good manager or a bad manager is the difference between getting knocked out in the quarters or getting knocked out in the last 16, so why not go with someone who, as you say, has potential and might surprise people.

Fair point.

• Like 1

But going back to what Trent said, I do agree that Sam could be good at rectifying a few of the things currently wrong with the English setup.  It'll also be interesting to see how a man that I would not regard as being a yes-man gets on in the role, or rather how the FA get on with him.

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

I think Howe would have been a big risk but one worth taking IMO. What have we got to lose after all the only downside would have been for him. 

That said you can't say Sam doesn't deserve his chance. If he gets us to a semi he'll be the most famous person in the Country so I reckon he'll be backing himself to do that. 

Sam's never got anyone to a semi before ;)

in fairness I think people said the same thing after the World Cup that no expectations on England. In a perverse way Allardyce would be better off scraping into the World Cup than strolling through the group like Hodgson did. would certainly lift pressure and expectation