England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Think this proves a point of this thread....Man. City want Reece Oxford.

He played that first game v Arsenal that got people excited and then drifted from contention. Surely it's more logical to move to a decent championship club, that's all City would do if they signed him anyway.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surely it's more logical to move to a decent championship club, that's all City would do if they signed him anyway.

I'd personally rather play for Barnsley earning £10k a week on loan from City than play for Barnsley earning £1k a week. It's those that don't get loaned out and sit on the bench every week that're the issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd personally rather play for Barnsley earning £10k a week on loan from City than play for Barnsley earning £1k a week. It's those that don't get loaned out and sit on the bench every week that're the issue.

think at Man City they call it the Scott Sinclair position ;)

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

He can do that playing for West Ham if he signed a new deal.

More chance of breaking into their first team aswell.

Edited by VillaChris

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think this proves a point of this thread....Man. City want Reece Oxford.

He played that first game v Arsenal that got people excited and then drifted from contention. Surely it's more logical to move to a decent championship club, that's all City would do if they signed him anyway.

Yes, it's exactly my point.  They're rolling the dice on someone just in case they become top notch.  I know we can't stop it from happening but it's just terrible to see.  It's no skin off Citeh's back because they can and will just toss him to the curb if nothing comes of it, but it potentially makes a balls of his career - or at the very least lessens his chances of succeeding - it unnecessarily hurts the selling team and hurts the national team.  **** Man City and their ilk.  I hope they crash and burn as a club.

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yes, it's exactly my point.  They're rolling the dice on someone just in case they become top notch.  I know we can't stop it from happening but it's just terrible to see.  It's no skin off Citeh's back because they can and will just toss him to the curb if nothing comes of it, but it potentially makes a balls of his career - or at the very least lessens his chances of succeeding - it unnecessarily hurts the selling team and hurts the national team.  **** Man City and their ilk.  I hope they crash and burn as a club.

I agree with what you're saying but this isn't a new thing, and certainly not a Man City thing either. Big clubs have been hoovering up promising young players on the off chance for years.

Its a tricky predicament for the player and his family. This 1 contract will set him up for life if he's sensible and he'll be young enough to move on after if it didn't turn out well. He might be loyal to his current club or drop down the championship only to get a terrible injury or just not find any form their either.

Moving to the rich club might mess up his career, staying might also not end well. At least take the well paid risk I say.

Just now, Genie said:

I agree with what you're saying but this isn't a new thing, and certainly not a Man City thing either. Big clubs have been hoovering up promising young players on the off chance for years.

I never said it was.  But I don't have to like it.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I never said it was.  But I don't have to like it.

Fair enough, just that you mentioned Man City several times. All clubs do it to a degree, Villa have bought in lots of very promising 14-17 year olds never to see the light of day. Its all relative.

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Fair enough, just that you mentioned Man City several times. All clubs do it to a degree, Villa have bought in lots of very promising 14-17 year olds never to see the light of day. Its all relative.

I'm assuming it's because he was quoting a post about City signing a player.

Signed Reece Oxford on loan, two seasons running. We got back to back promotions into the PL. and I had an £8m bid accepted. He turned me down for Newcastle. After all we went through, I made him my captain, I made him the player he was. He was rocky in my first season but I stuck by him, I trusted him, I allowed him to develop, to make mistakes. That is how he repayed me.

That kid can go swivel.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Allardyce is such an uninspired appointment.

Why does the England manager have to be English anyway?

He doesn't. Or at least he shouldn't have to be. 

Unfortunately, if the FA have decided he needs to be English, then Allardyce probably is the best choice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't. Or at least he shouldn't have to be. 

Unfortunately, if the FA have decided he needs to be English, then Allardyce probably is the best choice.

Oh yeah if the FA have decided that the new manager has to be English then it's probably the best appointment they could make.

My point is though that on its own this appointment is a very uninspiring one.