England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Always liked Big Sam and I hope he does well in the role.

Unfortunately given its the ultimate poisoned chalice I fear the knives will already be being sharpened.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I agree with what you're saying but this isn't a new thing, and certainly not a Man City thing either. Big clubs have been hoovering up promising young players on the off chance for years.

Its a tricky predicament for the player and his family. This 1 contract will set him up for life if he's sensible and he'll be young enough to move on after if it didn't turn out well. He might be loyal to his current club or drop down the championship only to get a terrible injury or just not find any form their either.

Moving to the rich club might mess up his career, staying might also not end well. At least take the well paid risk I say.

West Ham are hardly offering him a fiver a week for a new contract I'd suggest.

Say West Ham are offering him 20k a week and City 30k a week is it really worth it?

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Allardyce is such an uninspired appointment.

Why does the England manager have to be English anyway?

No guarentee either way. I thought Capello would be a great manager for England....and he was marginally better than Woy with a much better squad. Also a disaster as Russia manager.

Would someone like Klinsmann really be better, everyone seemed to go mad over USA at world cup but they only made round of 16, same as Bob Bradley and a round less than Bruce Arena.

40 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Probably the best choice for an average bunch of players.

I think the players are better than that if they're organised properly e.g. No shoehorning Rooney into the team as some sort of answer to Pirlo and Iniesta.

They are talented players to pick from upfront and even in midfield. Dele Ali didn't do much in euros but you can't deny his quality if he has another season of scoring double figures in prem.

Work to do with the defence though which ain't great. Maybe recall Shawcross but can see little else there.

Many teams in the euros were terrible to watch but very organised and got at least one round further than expectations e;g. Both Irish teams, Swiss, Iceland and Portugal.

I think England need to go back to basics, try and reach quarters again and so that would be a good point for a younger candidate to take over, maybe someone like Howe with a few more seasons under his belt or Rodgers if he's bored at Celtic.

Not sure whats worse, Big Sam as England manager, or the fact that he is probably the best candidate if being English was the remit. 

None the less, its a damming indictment of both the FA, and English managers in general. 

Well who have the FA got it right with since the sacking of Sir Alf. Maybe Bobby Robson and Venables. We used to have a crop of English managers and they still couldn't get it right so now its been a choice between Bruce and Sam. Hardly a great options! How many foreign managers have we had 2? Hardly a large amount for the FA to consider not going down that line. I wish Sam well! He will be judged like the others in the competition finals not how well we do in qualification. First thing he needs to do is sort out what to do with Rooney!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't think it was possible to regress from Uncle Woy but the FA have found a way

Great job another couple of tournaments where we win **** all to look forward to

Yeah, it's definitely the manager that's the reason we're not going to win anything. 

Hopefully it means the anti England brigade will **** off. Unlikely as they love a good moan. 

i think we're going to find out a couple of things as to how shit England really are...

1) he's on a reported £1.5m at Sunderland, Roy was on £4m wasn't he? If the FA have had to effectively buy fat Sam with a monster contract then they're **** clueless, the job should sell itself to him, it's the greatest opportunity he'll ever have, more than £2m a year is madness imo

2) for some reason I do think it's the closest we'll get to someone who won't shoe horn players in, it's hard to tell why previous managers have done it, press, sponsors, players themselves, I think he might slap it all down and pick the best 11 players for the style and shape that he wants, the fact that I don't like that style for me personally after Roy being so utterly clueless is now irrelevant, unfortunately England being England we've got 2 years to find out if he is the man to break this strange mental thing that hinders us, with his personality and set up he's got as good as good a chance as anyone

also interesting is if he plucks a couple of top coaches from West Ham which is being touted and if that impacts them in any way

We should have got rid of Woy after the World Cup. We should certainly had sounded out a manager or two before the Euros given Woy's age (did they plan to give him a contract until he was in his 80s) and how likely it was it would go pear-shaped again. We left it until all the better choices had found clubs so we were left with just Sam & Bruce due to their insistence to go English and because their first and safest choice Southgate declined the offer (which was a relief). They turned Sam down in the past but he is pretty much the last cab left on the rank and at least he will not be a "yes man" which is their first priority when choosing a new England boss.  

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Wherever Allardyce has been he has almost always gotten the best out of the players he has at his disposal. If he can do the same with England he will be doing better than most England managers have done.

I am quite pleased he has got it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, John said:

We should have got rid of Woy after the World Cup.  

Definitely, he did the same thing then, played players out of position and made us look clueless, the only thing he did differently this time was made us boring as well

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Best man for the job. You think of just about anything that has been typically wrong with England for the last few years and Sam is the right man to sort it out.

More over I'm really pleased for him.

This.

Happy for Sam, fully deserves the chance.

11 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I didn't think it was possible to regress from Uncle Woy but the FA have found a way

Great job another couple of tournaments where we win **** all to look forward to

We aren't going to win either of them whoever we appoint for a whole multitude of reasons most of which cannot be solved by the manager, any manager.

But our performances at the last two tournaments (you could go back further) has been abject.

Many aspects of those failures could and should have been solved by Hodgson but he wasn't up to the job.

The England side has lacked passion, organisation, commitment from players both on the pitch and off it towards playing, it's lacked an identity, it's lacked a style of play, a system, anything remotely resembling a core spin and at times lacked a spine entirely.      

People might not like Sam's brand of football (very commonly miss labelled I might add) but look st that list of failings and try and tell me he isn't a manager to address those things.

Another thing I think is important with him is he will pick players to do jobs within his framework. Regardless of name or reputation or the club they play for or whatever pressure comes from the FA to sell tickets etc.

However unfashionable a player they will be picked if they are the most capable of doing the job required. I'd put money on it he would have taken Drinkwater of plastic Jack.

I'm not saying that that selection by Hodgson cost us our place at the Euro's but I think it was very much symptomatic of the failings of Hodgson's tenure.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of someone who would have been a better realistic appointment. Perhaps people have names in mind, I can't think of them though.

We've tried the likes of Sven and Capello ad it failed, we've tried he promising young coach like McLaren and it was a disaster. So what's left?

Klinsmann? No bloody thank you. Southgate? Redknapp? Bruce? Van Gaal?

Unless Jose fancies a crack then I don't know who else we could have gone for as Wenger was never going to walk away from Arsenal.

Call me old fashioned as well but I think the England manager should be English. Not for Farage style reasons but because to me international football is about representing you country, about the best your country can put forward and the players and manager ahould be representatives of that not imports (I make an exception to that for teams such as those from Africa).

I'm sick to death of after every tournament hearing we need to be more like Germany/Italy/France/insert latest side to do well. Do we think the Italian's say they need to be more like Germany when they crash out? Do they balls. They say we need to be better but they stick to their way of playing, their identity and their system.

It is about time we stopped trying to be other nations and started trying to be ourselves. That means fast, attacking football with tough competitive players who are prepared to rough it when needed and let's face it rough it when it isn't.

I think international teams will have playing Sam's England and that will be a welcome change because of years now we've been a soft touch.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If the FA have decided he needs to be English, then Allardyce probably is the best choice.

IMV that would be Eddie Howe, but that would take balls on the part of the FA in order to take that risk, and they most certainly do not have those when it comes to international appointments.  People will say 'oh but he's too young' or 'give him time'.  Bollocks.  He's the best on offer and Venables back in the day was good enough to be whisked away to Barcelona at only (checks Wikipedia ...) 41 years of age.  OK it's not an identical scenario but my point is if you're good enough then it shouldn't matter.

I'm ok with the appointment, not thrilled but ok with it.

He's a solid manager with a good track record. If he has the gift of getting England players to achieve their potential in a tournament then brilliant. Everything else is there for the England squad, just the mental weakness when the pressure in on in a tournament.