England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So its always the managers fault Trent that we can never win a QF game? Sorry I dont buy that players have to take responsibility. All this rubbish from Crouch about pressure. Playing iceland is like United playing Barnet. The players are a national embarrassment

Its really not to be fair but it is also the players mentality and one of the reasons that they crumble when they concede against "lesser" teams  

Anyone could see that Iceland we're going to cause England problems. They're organised have a good team spirit have played well during the group stages and despite what people think they have some good quality in their side. 

England had a massive chance prior to this tournament of winning it. Or at least that's what I thought (and I'm Irish so it pained me to say that when people asked me before the tournament).

I watched them against Germany in the friendly a few months back and they looked really good had a togetherness that is not usually associated with England, played some good football and actually beat the world champions.

Then the squad was picked and it was clear that Hodgson had bottled it (the Wilshere selection was criminal) and it became the same story again. Things start to go wrong, players blame each other, the togetherness disappeared and then they just crumble. 

Hiddink would be my choice. From English candidates I wouldn't be against Big Sam at all tbh. He knows what he's doing defensively (and I thought Sunderland played defence football in the run in).

From what we've seen at this tournament teams that are organised and structured can go far...international football is like that with high percentage of games settled by set pieces.

Either of them should've got the job around 2006-08 imo but the FA overlooked them back then and probably will again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I have to say that Hodgson copping all the flak but the players are getting off free from this. Except for Dier I cant think of one that could leave the tournament with head held high. Same thing happened with Sven and Capello among others, why wont English media have a go at players the true cause of this. Raheem Sterling 50 million, 200k a week and he cant control a football

Lallana, and for some reason he didn't get a sniff against Iceland. Far and away our best performer and biggest threat IMO.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

It's not Kane taking free kicks that's the problem, it was the fact he kept taking them, 4 games and he didn't deliver a decent ball from any of them. Keep doing the same and expecting a different result each time, insanity.

all these players that flopped so spectacularly will no doubt go on to have a brilliant season, watch Kane bang in 20+ goals, sturridge likewise, then England will start the WC qualifiers by picking these players in wrong positions just to get them in the side.

4 games + the friendlies.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So its always the managers fault Trent that we can never win a QF game? Sorry I dont buy that players have to take responsibility. All this rubbish from Crouch about pressure. Playing iceland is like United playing Barnet. The players are a national embarrassment

England playing Iceland is nothing like United playing Barnet. Yes England would be favourites and should have enough quality to win, but Iceland qualified for this tournament from a group including The Netherlands, Czech Republic and Turkey (all of which they beat). And to get to the knockout stages, they finished above Portugal. Iceland aren't that bad of a team.

• Like 2

Spain, Italy and Germany come under just as much pressure from fans / media as the England players, so its a complete cop - out. 

1) I genuinely believe Hodgson (or whoever else is in charge) is put under pressure from corporates to play Rooney. Nike sponsorships and all that. Otherwise I can't physically understand why he is playing. he is a really good player, but doesn't fit in that system. Its like bringing a monster truck to an F1 race.

2) Other PL players are playing fine for their countries, so don't buy the whole tired / winter break crap

3) No leader on that pitch, whilst he is a word removed, I would have literally begged John Terry to play in the tournament

4) Next manager should be someone with clout and experience like Pellegrini or Glen Hoddle, will be Southgate unfortunately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Well much of the media and pundits agree.

You seem to be assuming I'm absolving the players of any criticism, I'm not.

But Hodgson is the man responsible. He is responsible for who is I the squad, who is on the pitch and what roles they take on the pitch such as who is taking corners and free kicks. He is responsible for our strategy on free kicks just as he should have been responsible for organising the defence to deal with long throws.

Hodgson failed at just about every aspect of the job and the failings started before the players even got on the plane.

He failed to get the most out of the likes of Ali and Kane in no small part due to the complete lack of any kind of system and because of the frankly daft insistence on shoehorning Rooney into midfield.

The squad was wrong, the preparation was wrong, the tactics were wrong, the team selections were wrong. I can only image what the training has been like.

So yes the players both individually and collectively under performed (certainly not for the first time) but they were set up by to fail by a manager to quote Shearer "making it up as he went along".

Players and teams need structure and organisation to succeed you can't just throw 5 forwards on a pitch and hope something happens.

I'm not absolving the players but Sterling isn't a winger and neither is Sturridge, Rooney isn't a midfielder and that back four wasn't a coordinated defensive unit drilled in training like Italy's.

The team was a shambles and because of that we got nothing out of Kane who we have nothing in terms of service.

Hodgson's performance was a disgrace and he and those who decided to stick with him after Rio are to blame.

Now there are clearly issues with the mentality of the England squad or with English players when they join it I'm not arguing against that. However those players looked like they'd been thrown together for a reason and that reason was sat on the sidelines like a scared owl.

Hodgson set this squad up to fail and he carries the can even if the players failed.

Nailed it mate.

The buck stops with Hodgson, the fact he is on nearly 5 million a year to achieve nothing more than a conference manager could (or a part time dentist, no less) really is sickening. His biggest crime was shoehorning Rooney into midfield for no apparent reason and switching his left and right back from game to game while IN a major tournament.

The players must take some blame as well but when they are all multi millionaires and have their every whim catered to (while at their clubs) they just aren't up for the fight, we need someone who can make them earn their place rather than be their mate.

If you aren't even reading what I write I'm going to give up here.

sorry I didnt see the post above only this one :)

Oh come on Dem, it's down to the manager or should be. 

• Like 1

I just fail to see why he reinstated Sterling and dropped Lallana. It infuriates me. How can a manager be so clueless as to start the most disappointing player in the squad over arguably our best performer so far? Even a less than 100% Lallana is better than that muppet.

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Did anybody in the squad have a genuinely good tournament? 

Of all the England players only Adam lallana can hold his head up high. He played well, he's no world beater but did well in the games he played. But of course woy dropped him in favour of the horrific raheem sterling because woy didn't have a clue.

Like I've said, there are no quick fixes for why english national teams always fails in the big tournaments. Forget the current generations of english footballers, they're lost cause IMO, they are mentally screwed, even the ones who are now about 18. IMO there's something obviously wrong in how the youth teams and players are coached, especially the mental-side of things.

I see the exact same problems in vast majority of finnish athletes, they don't have the mental strenght to take charge and be leaders, nor they don't have the mentality to deal with the pressure or the high-stakes competitions/games. We used to have some amazing athletes who thrived in the big competitions and their body language showed the confidence and self-belief that they can win it. But when I see our current athletes who pretty much always crumbles in pressure - I see the exact same look and body language as with the english footballers in high-stakes games.

Confused as to why people are mentioning Glenn Hoddle. What management has he been involved in for 10 years? The game has moved on. 

Edited by West

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Hodgson leaving.

Said players were "fantastic" and "dedicated." .............:crylaugh:

Looks like no English player will front up to the press tonight.

This is the problem.  Until the players and management have the courage to come out and say that was not good enough, or more accurately 'that was **** shit', and actually have a proper introspective, they'll continue to pat each other on their underperforming backs and pick up their massive wages and get **** out of the next tournament too at the same stage.  And on and on and on we go.

• Like 1