England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

What to say

this was nothing short of absolute humiliation. This is like England going out to Cyprus, in fact Cyprus is a bigger country than Iceland. These players were a absolute disgrace today. No passion fight and didn't give a shit. I hope the press and fans turn on these tossers. This was a bigger humiliation then us getting relegated. 

Screw them

• Like 1

I like Hodgson he is a good man but he has failed England job. Too many players in that squad arent good enough and had poor seasons like Wilshire, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley. As for Joe Hart well I think Butland or Forster has start ahead of him. Not his 1st error in this tournament

anyway think people arent giving Iceland enough credit tonight and hope they can overturn France now in next round

• Like 2

I know everyone is a tactical expert after the match, but to take Leicester's Premier League win as an example, solid defensive coaching and a clinical counter attack can make a limited team greater than the sum of their parts. As a Welshman I have seen it in action over the last couple of years and, although everyone points to Bale's quality, we're still a team with Wayne Hennessey in goal and Sam Vokes up front. Northern Ireland did the same and their 'Bale' and 'Ramsey' are Lafferty and Davis at the end of the day.

A better coaching set-up will take England a long way, because the players are there. Your centre-backs aren't great, but are no worse surely than MacAuley, Jonny Evans, Ben Davies or James Chester? It seems to me from the outside looking in though that a culure change will be needed in England's style of play. Whoever the next manager is needs to pick a team and develop it, bringing 'flavour of the month' players in steadily. It seems like Roy Hodgson tried to do this, and then s**t the bed over the season Spurs and Leicester had changing everything at the last minute, as well as bringing Rashford which was daft if you're not going to play him and Wilshere who was garden-gate rusty.

I've seen the England set-up go through numerous rinse and repeat actions at the top now without much difference being made on the pitch. Maybe it's time to drop the hype and start with the system rather than the big names.

• Like 3

Tonight reminded me a bit of second half of the home tie versus Bradford.  I try to forget but the image  of 5 Villa players up front doing nothing versus a fourth division side is forever burned into my retina. Villa or England were chasing the game and obviously on paper have much better players. But they both looked completely clueless of how to get back into the game and appeared to be paralysed by fear. 'A ball, what is this, where I am?'

Tonight shows how insular England are and how much puffed up hype every 2 years results in nothing. The football is this country is completely dominated by the clubs with the national side an bi annual afterthought. The premier league was supposed to be have been created to assist the England team but the FA obviously have been incompetent in doing this. But this is not a new thing though is it- not taking part in the first world cup, the 1950 shambles, 1953 6-3 defeat to Hungry showing the huge gulf in coaching (largely due to Jimmy Hogan's work abroad),  most of the 1970s, -basically apart from 1966 and 2 tournaments in the 90s in has been a catalogue of nonperformance. 

But like most of the others I don't care for England team anymore and tonight all I felt was laughter and well done to Iceland. 

I think Grealish has chosen the wrong country!

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mclaren is from the new era of positivity for positivity sake.

No,  bunch of Iuseless words removed are a bunch of useless words removed. That goes for you Hoddle aswell.

You can't criticise cos the well oiled England media machine will then cut you out of the loop

its all part of the same problem

I have to say that Hodgson copping all the flak but the players are getting off free from this. Except for Dier I cant think of one that could leave the tournament with head held high. Same thing happened with Sven and Capello among others, why wont English media have a go at players the true cause of this. Raheem Sterling 50 million, 200k a week and he cant control a football

• Like 1

That's same old same old zatman

pretty much every tournament in the last 20 years, the players have underperfromed and it's been swept under the carpet because the finger has been pointed at the manager

well all sit there tomorrow and say why the **** were wilshere, sterling and Barkley etc in the squad after an awful season, come mid July someone in the media will link Barkley with a £50m move somewhere, come the World Cup they'll all be blowing smoke up their asses again

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have to say that Hodgson copping all the flak but the players are getting off free from this. Except for Dier I cant think of one that could leave the tournament with head held high. Same thing happened with Sven and Capello among others, why wont English media have a go at players the true cause of this. Raheem Sterling 50 million, 200k a week and he cant control a football

Rashford did more in his 5 minutes total playing time than everyone else (bar Dier) did in 4 games, Hodgson shouldn't have gotten the job to start with, he fell lucky because of Mauricio Pochettinos (who imo, the FA should be tapping up as we speak) coaching at spurs more than anything, a semi trained chimp could utilise Leicester and spurs' English players to good effect but Roy Hodgson has to go all Jimmy Saville and select his "Big boys" from the stone age.

One positive from tonight is, he never gets to infect our eyes with soccer AIDS again, good riddance.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it's the fat england fan down the pub mentality to say "I could do better than that!!"

But seriously, I reckon if I was on the pitch in a wide area tonight I'd have put in England's the best cross of the game.

Me too

(....and I'm probably older & more overweight than you)