Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

47 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think, out the ones you mention, barely any of them play. I think the stability comes from keeping the first team squad together, the ones that play, and adding to them where needed I.e goalkeeper. Letting go of the majority of those players you mention won't affect stability.

I mean I was gonna go back find the page with the original quote and bemoan the loss of the multiquote system when I realised it's the same page and the quote I was replying to is right there. Quite clearly it says we need a 'settled transfer window where we are not buying and selling half the squad'. I suggest nearly half the squad should leave.

I think Amavi will be off in the summer but I left him off that list. If I had my way and at the back Jonstone, Bunn Hutton, Richards and Cissokho all leave and we lose Amavi, ideally we'd be bringing in a GK, LB, CB. 3 in 6 out, No point buying 'squad players' either.

In midfield lets hope Hourihane finds his feet as Lansbury looks promising and hope Jedinak stays fit. Bjarnason adds depth and flexibility, Lyden covers Jedinak, leaving Tish, GG, Veretout and Sanchez battling it out for 1 squad place. So 3 of the last 4 can go imo. (Even then at this present moment in time there's a lack of quality there, certainly off the bench). 3 out (at least, but after that it's replacing not trimming)

Gil and Grealish, all the skillz, both lightweight. Gil will be off imo. I thought I'd be nice to Grealish and make a pretend position for him so he gets a free pass. Not that we will/should sell him or owt. but 1 out.

My absolute biggest gripe is the lack of width but I want to dream of a time where Bacuna gets to play at being a footballer somewhere else so Adomah needs competition. Green might just be an answer down the left, Grealish doesn't fit the bill here for me, I thought Bjarnason but obviously not, so Green too needs competition. In the summer I'd like us to focus on a ML and MR. 1 out 2 in. 

Up top ideally all our new shiny £10m+ strikers coming good would be great, Gabby can go out on a high, McCormack sorts himself out, Hogan and Kodjia click and they all score 20 goals each on our way back to the PL.... and the nippers provide cover. But realistically maybe we should be looking at replacing McC and Gabby? Maybe loaning Davis and RHM out for the year would do them good? Hard to know right now, we'll know a lot more come May. I'd be amazed if Gabby left, however at this point McCormack leaving wouldn't surprise any of us. I'll count 1 out and wish for more :)

My opinion hasn't changed all season. I thought we'd finish mid table, I still think we'll finish mid table. I, like everyone is, am looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone with dread. I hate the football we're seeing, but I'm not panicking and really bad runs aside I think we're about par for the course. The reason I kinda expected a season like this WAS the wholesale changes and the fact that it was too much to do in one season. In both of Xia's transfer windows so far the club has exceeded my expectations, so I've been happy overall. As you yourself allude to none of the departures I'm suggesting would really damage us.

But that's 12 outs and 5 ins there which is an entirely different thing from the people earlier basically suggesting we just need to tinker. I purposely avoid using phrases like "cancer in the club" coz that's not where I'm coming from. But we are less than half way through this mission. Having a balanced squad, rid of the majority of the payer base that took us down after 3 windows with the majority of them having a full pre season together would be excellent work.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I mean I was gonna go back find the page with the original quote and bemoan the loss of the multiquote system when I realised it's the same page and the quote I was replying to is right there. Quite clearly it says we need a 'settled transfer window where we are not buying and selling half the squad'. I suggest nearly half the squad should leave.

I think Amavi will be off in the summer but I left him off that list. If I had my way and at the back Jonstone, Bunn Hutton, Richards and Cissokho all leave and we lose Amavi, ideally we'd be bringing in a GK, LB, CB. 3 in 6 out, No point buying 'squad players' either.

In midfield lets hope Hourihane finds his feet as Lansbury looks promising and hope Jedinak stays fit. Bjarnason adds depth and flexibility, Lyden covers Jedinak, leaving Tish, GG, Veretout and Sanchez battling it out for 1 squad place. So 3 of the last 4 can go imo. (Even then at this present moment in time there's a lack of quality there, certainly off the bench). 3 out (at least, but after that it's replacing not trimming)

Gil and Grealish, all the skillz, both lightweight. Gil will be off imo. I thought I'd be nice to Grealish and make a pretend position for him so he gets a free pass. Not that we will/should sell him or owt. but 1 out.

My absolute biggest gripe is the lack of width but I want to dream of a time where Bacuna gets to play at being a footballer somewhere else so Adomah needs competition. Green might just be an answer down the left, Grealish doesn't fit the bill here for me, I thought Bjarnason but obviously not, so Green too needs competition. In the summer I'd like us to focus on a ML and MR. 1 out 2 in. 

Up top ideally all our new shiny £10m+ strikers coming good would be great, Gabby can go out on a high, McCormack sorts himself out, Hogan and Kodjia click and they all score 20 goals each on our way back to the PL.... and the nippers provide cover. But realistically maybe we should be looking at replacing McC and Gabby? Maybe loaning Davis and RHM out for the year would do them good? Hard to know right now, we'll know a lot more come May. I'd be amazed if Gabby left, however at this point McCormack leaving wouldn't surprise any of us. I'll count 1 out and wish for more :)

My opinion hasn't changed all season. I thought we'd finish mid table, I still think we'll finish mid table. I, like everyone is, am looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone with dread. I hate the football we're seeing, but I'm not panicking and really bad runs aside I think we're about par for the course. The reason I kinda expected a season like this WAS the wholesale changes and the fact that it was too much to do in one season. In both of Xia's transfer windows so far the club has exceeded my expectations, so I've been happy overall. As you yourself allude to none of the departures I'm suggesting would really damage us.

But that's 12 outs and 5 ins there which is an entirely different thing from the people earlier basically suggesting we just need to tinker. I purposely avoid using phrases like "cancer in the club" coz that's not where I'm coming from. But we are less than half way through this mission. Having a balanced squad, rid of the majority of the payer base that took us down after 3 windows with the majority of them having a full pre season together would be excellent work.

Dig.

Big win for Burton against Norwich, they are only 2 points behind now. Wigan only picked up a point at home to Preston which in itself is not a bad result for them but they are still 6 points down. QPR hammered Birmingham City to move a point ahead of Villa while Cardiff hammered Rotherham to pretty much guarantee safety for them.

The only positive result was Sheffield Wednesday beating Forest but their performance was meant to be decent. 

8 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

To be fair one of them is away at Newcastle and we are hardly looking like winning anytime soon.

I get everyone is scared shitless of Newcastle, but we were actually even with them when we played them earlier in the season. Then again at that point we were "on the ascendancy".

We tend to clique against better teams if that's any positive. lol

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get everyone is scared shitless of Newcastle, but we were actually even with them when we played them earlier in the season. Then again at that point we were "on the ascendancy".

We tend to clique against better teams if that's any positive. lol

Not scared of Newcastle. They are nothing special as the fact that they are in the fizzy pop league confirms. I just know that we are currently one of the poorest teams in the fizzy pop league.

To stay up we need about 12 points from Bristol, Rotherham, Burton, Wigan, QPR and Blackburn.

And then maybe a draw or two from all the other games.

Steve Bruce should resign if we don't beat Rotherham away. That really would be a truly pathetic result in this season as Rotherham are hopeless and all but relegated now. It's a very crucial week for us as we play Bristol City on the Tuesday at VP.

4 points is a minimum.

It's all just very depressing isn't it?

I never subscribed to the viewpoint last season on here and elsewhere that the championship would be a lot more fun than the premier league.

I remembered when Wolves went straight down in 2013 and worried the same would happen to us....

And so what's less fun than not winning any games in the premier league....not winning games in a league with less coverage and prestige.

We better have a good season next year otherwise this club gets less relevant with every passing season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 17/02/2017 at 23:03, VILLAMARV said:

Really good post...

We only have to look at Leicester to see that players who were excellent last season have no divine right to be excellent this season. A lot of our new signings have been superb at this level in the past and it is not clicking yet. I really hope it does soon though. 

On current form we are absolutely in a battle for survival and I'm not sure if the lads are mentally equipped to deal with it, so we need to steer clear before we get sucked into the black hole of a relegation battle. You'd also have to say on current form that the Blues are not safe either! Last season you would've only needed 41 points to survive, the season before 42 and the one before that 44. In 2012/13 Peterborough went down on 54 points! I would expect that 50 points would be enough for survival this season but at the moment I cannot see where we are picking up points. I'd take a draw from anywhere to stop the rot right now. 

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

To stay up we need about 12 points from Bristol, Rotherham, Burton, Wigan, QPR and Blackburn.

And then maybe a draw or two from all the other games.

We really don't. 42 points has been enough to stay up in the last few years and the bottom 3 currently are getting a similar rate of points to those. We'd probably need about 45 this season to stay up. We won't need 13/14+ or whatever.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

We really don't. 42 points has been enough to stay up in the last few years and the bottom 3 currently are getting a similar rate of points to those. We'd probably need about 45 this season to stay up. We won't need 13/14+ or whatever.

Wouldn't risk that tbh....Burton are probably still seen as one of the favourites to go down and they're on 34 points and regularly win at home.

Wigan have been on a good run lately (taken 4 points this week) and they have the look to me of a team who'll continue to pick up points.

We see it so often in all leagues...down and out teams suddenly pick up from this point onwards and go on good runs.

There were a few people getting arsey about the very existance of this thread back in August. I remember being called ridiculously negative just for saying that we wouldnt make the play offs!

Well, its a very realistic possibilty now that we will go down and its not this thread that is ridiculous but the promotion thread. 

The likes of Burton, Blackburn and Wigan will all fight. We know we wont. We still have to go all those teams too. Its going to be another battle against relegation for the 6th straught year. How depressing.

Edited by One For The Road

Â