Relegation thread 2016/17

GingerCollins29

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So what would be the blockbuster clashes in league one?

Westwood is pissing himself laughing. Playing in a team that plays decent football, and watching us relegate ourselves.....

For another thread but he really didn't deserve the treatment he got on here, but those who gave it to him won't admit it. 

Obsessed!!

• Like 1

Jeez, lets bury the Westwood issue? He's gone, add him to the list. We have let plenty go that have flourished, and a few rotters have been stuck here until their contracts ran out, at least we got £5m for him after years of ineffective contribution, incidentally thats also a profit on what we paid for him (ignoring salary). If he kicks on good for him, we have much bigger problems. Stop looking over your shoulder at what could've been, it'll kill you. My list of "where would we have been if we hadn't let him go" starts with Platt, I would be very bitter if I thought too hard about it all!

Now, about that relegation.....

Edited by thunderball

Guys Guys Guys (and Gals)

Calm down a bit eh, enough of the wrist slashing. 

You've got good players, you have a good manager. All you have at the moment is a bad run of form. Every club in this league has it, there's 46 games. Have a look through every club's results and, maybe apart from the top 3, all have had runs of 5 or 6 games where it appears the wheels have fallen off.

I know this, I'm a Derby fan, happens every year.

You'll scrape a win in the next week or two, then a draw, then a win and so on.

50 points is the accepted cut-off target for staying up in this league, you will get 14 more points easily.

If you could just start collecting them from sunday onwards I'd appreciate it, ta.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

You've got good players, you have a good manager. All you have at the moment is a bad run of form. Every club in this league has it, there's 46 games. Have a look through every club's results and, maybe apart from the top 3, all have had runs of 5 or 6 games where it appears the wheels have fallen off.

50 points is the accepted cut-off target for staying up in this league, you will get 14 more points easily.

If you could just start collecting them from sunday onwards I'd appreciate it, ta.

Seems a bit similar to derby where they got up into the top 6 or 7 under mclaren and have recently slipped back after a few poor results - I'd expect both villa and derby to be right up there near the top next season .

55 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Seems a bit similar to derby where they got up into the top 6 or 7 under mclaren and have recently slipped back after a few poor results - I'd expect both villa and derby to be right up there near the top next season .

If we are still in this division next season I fully EXPECT us to be top of it.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know how you can.

Mentality clearly effected us badly last night.

because in last 2 years we have had about 7 managers and a massive turnover of players. I dont believe that a poor mentality has gotten so far that good players automatically come in and are crap 

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I call bullshit on this mental excuse. it comes up all the time 

It's not even an excuse. Bruce definitely has to shoulder a fair amount of the blame but it's a factor. It amazes me that people still trying and deny it even as the same problems persists regardless of manager/players/owner.

Am i right in thinking that last nights starting line up only featured one player to have scored a goal for us this season? Its nearly March! I know i know, new signings, but as a stat thats frightening.

Im fairly confident that thats never happened before. Id be fascinated to find out who the last team to do that was, if it has happened, in the top two divisions of England.

Not a terrible night, still a cushion to Wigan, Venky's might shoot themselves in the foot but they could do well with their next appointment. Burton picked up a decent away point but Brentford and QPR are both safe enough now. Everyone from ourselves and below still in danger, SHA will scrape a few points up somewhere even if they are every bit as much in freefall.

6 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Difference is we are shit the whole season and we had our one good patch of 5-6 wins. Thanks for making me feel a little better for a few minutes. Till I realised we are relying on what Wigan did today 

One thing in our favour - although obviously we need to be able to capitalise on it - is the fact that purely from a league position and venue point of view, we have a relatively kind schedule left.  We've played all bar one of the top sides in the division away from home.   Only Huddersfield are left out of the top 6 with Fulham next highest after that.  We've a few tricky home ties (SheffWed, Norwich, Reading, Brighton, sha) but frankly if you can't sort your home form out then you've no excuses any way.  Basically, if (big if) Bruce and the lads can get themselves into better shape in the next few weeks then the remaining fixtures will play their part for us too.

The above does not take into account that relegation threatened sides get trickier as the season progresses, but then you'd imagine we'd benefit from that effect too so ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

One thing in our favour - although obviously we need to be able to capitalise on it - is the fact that purely from a league position and venue point of view, we have a relatively kind schedule left.  We've played all bar one of the top sides in the division away from home.   Only Huddersfield are left out of the top 6 with Fulham next highest after that.  We've a few tricky home ties (SheffWed, Norwich, Reading, Brighton, sha) but frankly if you can't sort your home form out then you've no excuses any way.  Basically, if (big if) Bruce and the lads can get themselves into better shape in the next few weeks then the remaining fixtures will play their part for us too.

The above does not take into account that relegation threatened sides get trickier as the season progresses, but then you'd imagine we'd benefit from that effect too so ...

I still believe we will finish nearer to the top 10 than the bottom 3 .

• Like 2

On 21/02/2017 at 01:14, Mantis said:

Don't underestimate the mental side of all this.

I've seen you mention the metal aspect a few times. What possible mental problem can there be when the owner, chairman, manager and players have all been swapped out? Mental problems aren't contagious which can be caught when a player walks through the doors of BMH.  The only mental problems I can see is a team who have no idea how they should be playing. This comes from the manager.

I get the whole "we're a big club and there's pressure" argument, not that I necessarily agree with it, but the manager needs to deal with that and make sure the players are up to it. As far as I can see i'm not sure even the manager is up to it. You don't see Rafa having trouble managing Newcastle, or their players having this huge mental problem which we seem to have, even though they were shite last season too. 

For me the problem stems from the manager, his negative tactics breeds negativity. The way he's unsure on how we're supposed to play will make the players unsure. We need a manager to come in and say "this is how we're going to play, we're going to do it til you get it right" and work on it. Not keep chopping and changing when we can't get the basics right and have no identity whatsoever.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Â