Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Nope, never have.

But my point wasn't that i expect them to be top at the end, but the points gap will get more and more important as the season goes on, and i'm hoping to start closing that gap ever so slightly during September.    Newcastle 4 points ahead is the line i'm looking at.

fair enough. Obviously we need to start winning games, and the sooner the better. I think it was to be expected we might start slower, though.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

fair enough. Obviously we need to start winning games, and the sooner the better. I think it was to be expected we might start slower, though.

yeah, i agree.

I'm going to keep tracking during the season until we're either promoted or can't be promoted anymore.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Holtern8 said:

We ain't going to do shit with that keeper. He's worse than bloody Guzan and that bald word removed got us relegated.

Guzan clearly contributed but come on, he hardly got us relegated on his own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Guzan clearly contributed but come on, he hardly got us relegated on his own.

The way I see it is we still got bunn and steer and they ain't that bad so the young lad gollini better improve or he is out 

I was trying to remember back to the last time we were at this level 87-88 because I sort of remember a shitty start under Graham Taylor.

Taylor had inherited a similar situation with a Villa squad with low morale and bought in players to do a ob at that level, Steve Sims, Kevin Gage, David Hunt and Mark Lillis are names I remember.

Dug out my Villa Complete Record to see how it really went:

Well after 5 games we had the same amount of points as we do now: 5

Ipswich 1-1, Blues 0-2, Hull 1-2, Man City 1-1, Leicester 2-0

We followed that by Boro 0-1, Barnsley 0-0 before beating West Brom 2-0

We finished 2nd but the skin of our teeth mind but we did it.  I expect a similar up and down season.

At the moment I am not concerned.  New Team and management team need to bed in and click.

• Like 1

Problem is.. we have 3 new teams drop down next season from the premier league with a shitload of money to spend and already better squads. If we dont come up this season... its a massive ask next season.

• Like 4

Already looks like the pressure is getting to the players, the collapse the weekend is worrying, a new team, play well for spells concede a goal and it's all over.

we will do well to get in the play offs

14 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Already looks like the pressure is getting to the players, the collapse the weekend is worrying, a new team, play well for spells concede a goal and it's all over.

we will do well to get in the play offs

They are losers then how can they be under so much pressure already its only been 5 games in. The fans have been nothing but supportive towards them thus far, wont accept these kind of excuses from first team this season already. 

I am hoping its just that they are taking abit of time to adapt to one another as its practically a new team. 

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Problem is.. we have 3 new teams drop down next season from the premier league with a shitload of money to spend and already better squads.

If we dont come up this season... its a massive ask next season.

This.    Its this season or never.

26 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Unite correct. If we don't get promoted this year, we will never ever, ever return to the top league. :rolleyes:

ok, wrong use of words. It will get more and more difficult year on year, and even more difficult to stay in the premier league if we were to get promoted after say 5 years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Whether there are fitness issues I don't know (there really shouldn't be, given they are professional athletes) but if you can sort that out and get your performances to last the whole 90 you will be right up there, though I still wonder about the players mental strength after the collapse on Saturday.

It does seem there may be fitness issues, hence why we tend to play poorly 2nd half

Every other club in the league is looking at the money Villa and Newcastle are throwing around with envy. If any other club spent that much then automatic promotion would be the expectation. Once the window closes we just need to get some wins together to grow confidence and we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

We have the players to get promotion it's now up to the manager to make it happen.

Its going to take 4 -5 more games before the team will gel and that's if injuries and suspensions don't come into play. We will know they have when we can hold onto narrow wins without to much fuss, kill a game.

I still think were light in midfield, we have lost players there and for me it was already our area of weakness.

Â