Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

14 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

somebody should change the title of this thread, or maybe lock it, as this club isn't going up this season, if a prestigious club with the first team half full of internationals cant even beat a couple of two-bob clubs, then achieving promotion just isn't realistic, even scraping for a top half finish is pushing it.

the club may have already spent alot of money but it's not showing it, obviously the most common reply is the team needs time to gel, blah, blah blah, but theyre professional footballers, they should already have the ability from pre-season to gel.

Completely disagree. While we may have more internationals, they are hardly from the Spain or Germany's of this world (I take the point that Chester was in the Euro semis).

Also you could argue that half/third of these 'two bob' clubs will be in the mix for promotion with us and actually have club structures/cultures/styles of playing which we are only trying to develop now - this enables them to be better able to challenge than us despite all the money we're throwing at it. 

Just now, Pilchard said:

Yep. And 6 of the players that played for us were at the club last season.

5 of those players have the same manager and tactics from last season, 6 of our players don't.. 

The point that i am trying to make is that this current team of new players need time to gain an understanding of the tactics and each other.

Huddersfield are not rebuilding their club, therefore there are going to be times like yesterday where we will show inconsistencies during a football match.  

There needs to be an acceptance of where we are right now in terms of expectations.

• Like 1

I understand your point. I'm just pointing out that there is more too it than player turnover. It's not an excuse. Same manager and tactics? Wolves brought in a new manager only days before the start of the season. It's not done them any harm.

My expectations, I suspect, are much lower than many on here. I don't think staying away from a relegation battle after all the money spent and wages these players are put on is asking too much. I don't think that those expectations are currently being met.

Edited by Pilchard
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Yeah this is a new team that has actually trained together for a few days and started their first match yesterday...

Looking at Huddersfield they have spent peanuts but guess what? They have played with each other for a year.

Team chemistry and understanding tactics is being overlooked on this forum.

If we don't get promoted. We have to deal with it and try to support this club with what they're trying to do.

Do you think Leicester fans went into panic mode when they lost to Watford in the semi final playoffs? 

We need continuity at this club and I hope RDM stays for the duration of his contract so we can have some stability at this club.

The only one that's trained afew days was de laet. Jedinak has been here although didn't play last week I am sure he wAs still training with the squad. I agree support is needed if we don't go up but they need to fight for the cause. We seem to do well and then crumble when we go behind which is pathetic. 

I think RDM should arrange a friendly and let the opposition score within first 10 minutes and work on how to deal with getting back in the game before panicking like we seem to be doing.

leicester did not spend as much money as we have, we should be aiming top 6 no excuses

• Like 1

Still more than doable but we need to double our points per game tally, plus make up a little bit of ground lost in the opening 5 games. Tough task even with 41 games left. 

2.07 points per game from the remaining would see us on 90 points, which has been enough in 3 out of the past 4 seasons. Hard to say how this one will go in terms of required total, but I think 90 should do it. 

I have to say our September run is not really that kind

Forest (home)

Brentford (home)

Ipswich (away)

Newcastle (home)

Barnsley (away)

3 of the current top 7 so far and Ipswich who are a dogged Championship team never easy to break down

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Forest (home)

Brentford (home)

Ipswich (away)

Newcastle (home)

Barnsley (away)

3 of the current top 7 so far and Ipswich who are a dogged Championship team never easy to break down

We need 10 points minimum from them too IMO. 

Tough ask. 

Jeez it didn't take long for the positivity to get sucked out did it?! 

Just had a quick look a some Boro results from last season for comparison. In March they lost to Rotherham, Charlton and Blackburn. 

It's a long old season. When we play well, so far for the first 45 of most games, we batter teams. A bit more clinical finishing and it's a different story. 

I maintain we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season, and in the playoffs at least. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I don't think we need worry tbh - or at least I am not worried about who we play. This is nothing like the premier league, we can beat any team in this division IF we sort ourselves out. Another way of looking at it is it gives us a chance to take points off teams above us.  I was just looking at the first five games of recent winners of the league. I noticed Burnley and Bournemouth only had a couple of wins at this stage - I wonder how Bournemouth fans reacted to the two consecutive losses and what their predictions where?  What I take from that is we have a long ways to go and we can still do well - hopefully after the window closes the squad settles and we get going.  Lets keep the faith.

Villa                L, W, D, D, L  (5pts) 

Burnley           D, D, L, W, W (8pts)

Bournemouth  W, W, L, L, D (7pts)

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Whilst I think the idea of us being relegated is ridiculous, promotion is almost as fanciful.

There are a couple of days left of the window and we are woefully short of even a Play-Off team at the moment. Much like last summer, everyone is raving about the new signings and how good they'll be but I'm yet to see any proof of that.

Gollini isn't even looking as good as Guzan. Everyone raves about leader Elphick but his actual play has been slow and I've seen a number of sliced clearances. Tshibola hasn't done anything great and is seemingly injured a bit. McCormack has looked very rusty with a poor touch. In fact most point to the best players so far this season being Gestede, Cissokho and Bacuna! Yes we're only 5 (6 with cup) games in but we've not seen a good 90 minute performance yet. Chester has looked solid. Not seen De Laet or Jedinak in person yet.

Naturally not all these players are going to make the grade, no team gets 100% success rate on transfers. So that leaves us with squad depth; Baker at CB, Hutton at RB, who in midfield?, Kozak upfront. What about injuries or suspensions?

I can see us gelling, I can see performances and results improving. But I can not see how every signing is going to be a success and how we are going to avoid any injuries or suspensions and therefore we will not threaten the playoff places in my opinion.

We've got two days to do some serious work with buys or loans, even if just for squad depth. RDM said he wanted two players for every position, currently you'd struggle to name half the team where there is competition for places.

I'm not expecting promotion as it stands.

I have always thought that promotion in the first season was going to be possible, but not a certainty. I thought top half finish with a playoff spot at the start of the season, and I still think that. The rebuild job required after last season was massive, it required a big changeover in personnel and as annoyed as I get after a result like at the weekend I try to remember this team is new to each other and needs time to gel. 

One thing that I think we are guilty of is over hyping new signings, we have made a fair few of them as well, but they will need time to settle into the squad and new surroundings. They could well turn out to be great players given time, but with our hopes raised up early on any time the players fall below that expectation causes frustration and annoyance. 

One thing for certain is that I do believe we have a bit more character in the team this season, and when they are all integrated properly we can start to build some good form and a head of steam to climb the table.

The promotion spots aren't decided in August, if we can get it together by late September then as long as we are not too far behind the promotion favourites then I still think promotion could be a possibility. This is a long season, so no need to hit the panic button just yet. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

I don't think we need worry tbh - or at least I am not worried about who we play. This is nothing like the premier league, we can beat any team in this division IF we sort ourselves out. Another way of looking at it is it gives us a chance to take points off teams above us.  I was just looking at the first five games of recent winners of the league. I noticed Burnley and Bournemouth only had a couple of wins at this stage - I wonder how Bournemouth fans reacted to the two consecutive losses and what their predictions where?  What I take from that is we have a long ways to go and we can still do well - hopefully after the window closes the squad settles and we get going.  Lets keep the faith.

Villa                L, W, D, D, L  (5pts) 

Burnley           D, D, L, W, W (8pts)

Bournemouth  W, W, L, L, D (7pts)

I dont think Bournemouth or Burnley fans were expecting to go back up especially since probably spent a quarter of what we did

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Bournemouth or Burnley fans were expecting to go back up especially since probably spent a quarter of what we did

I doubt Bournemouth or burnley quite had the rebuild we do to go up, and already had established squads....

Quite a gap opening up at the top already,

We're 8 points behind the leader with 11% of the season completed.

We need a big change in form just to keep the points gap at that level.

1. Huddersfield - 13
  2. Fulham - 11
  3. Barnsley - 9
  4. Newcastle - 9
  5. QPR - 9
  6. Bristol - 9
  16. Villa - 5 

I'm only keeping my eyes on how far away from 6th we are as that's our best chance of promotion, in my opinion. There's just far too much work to do since RDM took over in clearing out the dead wood, bringing in new faces and getting them to gel etc to enable us to mount a strong challenge for automatic. 

The playoffs may prove too far a stretch if we don't start getting results soon, then we'll be in a position where we're playing catch up to try and reach mid table.

48 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Quite a gap opening up at the top already,

We're 8 points behind the leader with 11% of the season completed.

We need a big change in form just to keep the points gap at that level.

1. Huddersfield - 13
  2. Fulham - 11
  3. Barnsley - 9
  4. Newcastle - 9
  5. QPR - 9
  6. Bristol - 9
  16. Villa - 5 

have you ever glanced over a championship season before?

If Huddersfield, Fulham, Barnsley is the top 3 at the end of the season I'll tweet a picture of my genitals to Dr Xia.

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

have you ever glanced over a championship season before?

If Huddersfield, Fulham, Barnsley is the top 3 at the end of the season I'll tweet a picture of my genitals to Dr Xia.

Nope, never have.

But my point wasn't that i expect those 3 teams to be top at the end, but rather the points gap will get more and more important as the season goes on.

I'm hoping we start closing that gap ever so slightly during September.    Newcastle 4 points ahead is the line i'm looking at.

Edited by ender4

Â