Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I know Martinez turned us down, but he also turned down Liverpool.  I'd be surprised if he was being snooty about us or them, I think it was genuinely because he was staying loyal to Wigan while he could keep them in the Prem. Dave Whelan was the one that came up with all the shite about being better than us, but he did the same with NZogbia too.  I wouldn't hold it against Martinez myself, but as I said I don't think it will be him anyway.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

They won;t be the back 4. Randy is not in charge anymore.

well fine a back 4 with Alcaraz and Ramis type signings wont be able to play that way either. His defensive signings have been absolute appalling

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know Martinez turned us down, but he also turned down Liverpool.  I'd be surprised if he was being snooty about us or them, I think it was genuinely because he was staying loyal to Wigan while he could keep them in the Prem. Dave Whelan was the one that came up with all the shite about being better than us, but he did the same with NZogbia too.  I wouldn't hold it against Martinez myself, but as I said I don't think it will be him anyway.

Good point, we want to know what's happening with the manager search, let's ask Dave Whelan!

30 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If we're saying every manager should be judged on his last job then it's hard to explain Ranieri's success. I know Leicester is an extreme example, but some managers just suit some clubs.

According to 'some' experts on this thread there isn't a manager alive who would suit our club - they're all crap, including that Ranieri bloke who just inherited Pearson's team, who was also crap by-the-way, because he depended on his backroom staff.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Gary Megson has been out of work since 2012. I reckon he is itching to get back in.

Xia: "I'm proud to announce the triple signing of Gary Megson as manager, John Carver as his assistant and Joe Kinnear providing the scouting nouse at a high level."

Absolute dream team!

8 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

According to the experts on this thread there isn't a manager alive who would suit our club - they're all crap, including that Ranieri bloke who just inherited Pearson's team, who was also crap by-the-way, because he depended on his backroom staff.  There will be a tirade of comments made in this thread when the new manager is finally named - the majority will moan, say he is a terrible choice and boldly write the season off with total certainty.  Tony will of course cop some flack as well for making such a shit appointment, but eventually the indignation will clam down and most will reluctantly agree to back him as they migrate to the transfers thread.  And so the VT wheel turns.

Its not just VT - lets not forget - Little, Bernstein, King, did a review of the club and made recommendations. My guess is that didn't include the appointment of RDM or Martinez. Most of us held these appointments in high regard and were dissapointed when they left. Just seems madness to overlook that report for RDM - whilst he has a reasonable CV can he address the problems we have ? - Sorry I just don't see it working, - Be interested to see how Pearson does at Derby should that happen. 

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well fine a back 4 with Alcaraz and Ramis type signings wont be able to play that way either. His defensive signings have been absolute appalling

He's signed 4 defenders for Everton (apparently) - Alcaraz, Funes Mori, Holgate and Foulds.

"Absolute appalling" based on...?  Signing Alcaraz on a free transfer as backup?

No-one wants the bloody job do they, let's be honest, at least no-one we'd be happy with.

I think we're going to have to strike it lucky with left-field appointment either from lower leagues or abroad, this appointment is absolutely key though to our next 5 years I suspect which is a major concern for me.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's signed 4 defenders for Everton (apparently) - Alcaraz, Funes Mori, Holgate and Foulds.

"Absolute appalling" based on...?  Signing Alcaraz on a free transfer as backup?

Ramis, Stam, Caldwell brothers, Alcaraz x2, Funes Mori

he couldnt sign a good defender to save his life

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Its not just VT - lets not forget - Little, Bernstein, King, did a review of the club and made recommendations. My guess is that didn't include the appointment of RDM or Martinez. Most of us held these appointments in high regard and were dissapointed when they left. Just seems madness to overlook that report for RDM - whilst he has a reasonable CV can he address the problems we have ? - Sorry I just don't see it working, - Be interested to see how Pearson does at Derby should that happen. 

I don't disagree.  It was always Moyes, Pearson or RDM for me in that order. None of them are crap, they all have strengths and weaknesses, and I have NO  idea how any of them would actually do here given none of them will have done what we need them to do.  But to me Pearson edges it - just gut feel more than anything and what I have seen about his record.  But if it is RDM I won't be too disappointed, he could do equally well, just not my first choice.

Right, this mystery alternative to RDM - what about Sean Dyche? If we wanted someone who has got promotion the most times, most recently then it is him. On a rolling 12 month contract at Burnley, Burnley just sold Barton, maybe he fancies a job at a club that will back him to the hilt - can't see Burnley suddenly splashing the cash, they didn't last time in the prem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I don't disagree.  It was always Moyes, Pearson or RDM for me in that order. None of them are crap, they all have strengths and weaknesses, and I have NO  idea how any of them would actually do here given none of them will have done what we need them to do.  But to me Pearson edges it - just gut feel more than anything and what I have seen about his record.  But if it is RDM I won't be too disappointed, he could do equally well, just not my first choice.

I think RDM came into the picture much later. I doubt he was recommended by Bernstein\King\little.

For better or worse RDM and Pearson are two vastly different styles of Manager IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Right, this mystery alternative to RDM - what about Sean Dyche? If we wanted someone who has got promotion the most times, most recently then it is him. On a rolling 12 month contract at Burnley, Burnley just sold Barton, maybe he fancies a job at a club that will back him to the hilt - can't see Burnley suddenly splashing the cash, they didn't last time in the prem.

Thumbs up from me - unlikley though

Pearson for me is the better candidate than RDM.

The squad needs a major rebuild, RDM does not have experience in doing that and although he could acquire the experience whilst doing that at out club its a risky move.

Pearson knows the lower leagues inside and out, i'm sure he could make the right signings for us, There are gems throughout the lower leagues that we may not be aware of.

It would be very hard to trust RDM in the market and with the budget, unless there was a technical director in place that had significant knowledge to support him.

• Like 1