Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Yeah he did well with Chile but to be honest I have never really understood why his name crops up with so much excitement at times. He plays a 3-3-3-1 formation and at times his football is quite exciting at times however it's not winning football

sure we havent had exciting or winning for quite some time. Id take at least 1 at the moment ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

sure we havent had exciting or winning for quite some time. Id take at least 1 at the moment ;)

I want winning football for next season, and I don't give a toss how we go about it as long as we go up :flag:

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

People just seem to be focusing on his last season which was my last point. The season before he finished 5th.

They're really not. 

He was poor at Wigan too. But he played so called nice football so people let him off. 

He was crap.

Moyes is head and shoulders a better manager. It's not even close.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I think they will announce it sooner than that - they really do need to get moving.

How can they ? - If Hollis has a dosier saying 'Pearson' - How can he then appoint RDM ? - whilst the takeover isn't 100% - Say the worst happens the deal collapses - Hollis then has a manager in place he doesn't really want.

So Xia must wait until assumes full control - before appointing his own man - best case scenario middle of next week ? - worst case Late June....hope it doesn't go beyond that.

@HeyAnty No, An interview with Xia suggesting it is a 2 horse race consisting of RDM and an unnamed other. People assuming it could be Martinez on the grounds he has just become available. 

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Tony on the Search - maybe its not a done deal

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dr-tony-xia-everything-new-11387198?

"We have a searching team working on the manager. Roberto was one of the choices from the start.

"We have another very good choice.

"We will get the right one and we'll announce it then."

@HeyAnty This is the one. 

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well, he's not won anything that I can remember but he did get Chile playing nice footy. Seems very highly regarded, not seen any of his marseilles but I don't think his reputation was damaged there, we knew he was a nutcase who brought good results and played good football.

He would never come to Villa, especially not in the Championship, I can't see him working in England full stop. Was mooted for Lazio, but I think he'll end up having a crack at a bigger club, possibly in Italy or Spain. He's getting on a bit so I doubt he'd want to take on our rebuilding job!

He *was* responsible for the Argentina youth setup at about the time Tevez, D'Allessandro, Saviola, Mascherano etc came through and destroyed everyone at the Olympics. Not sure if that counts for anything though 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Moyes is head and shoulders a better manager. It's not even close.

It's mind blowing just how overated that man is. Mind blowing. 

Has Never won a thing. Very rarely did he do anything in games against big clubs and has bombed massively in his last 2 jobs. 

People really need to get over the job he did at Everton, which while it was very solid, was nowhere near the achievements portrayed in the media.

At times he spent big there yet you would think he did the whole tenure on a Couple of quid the way ppl talk about his 'shoestring budget'.

And like many are using the Everton fans to back up their opinion of martinez..... do they want moyes back? Do they balls?

The ultimate conman who is the master of lowering expectations and manipulating himself as an underdog story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

How can they ? - If Hollis has a dosier saying 'Pearson' - How can he then appoint RDM ? - whilst the takeover isn't 100% - Say the worst happens the deal collapses - Hollis then has a manager in place he doesn't really want.

So Xia must wait until assumes full control - before appointing his own man - best case scenario middle of next week ? - worst case Late June....hope it doesn't go beyond that.

In that interview Hollis did with WM he made it very clear that he was still the Chairman of the Football until the sale was complete. He also made a point of saying that whilst he is still Chairman he could appoint a new manager without Tony's having any input.  

It was a really interesting listen. 

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

It's mind blowing just how overated that man is. Mind blowing. 

Has Never won a thing. Very rarely did he do anything in games against big clubs and has bombed massively in his last 2 jobs. 

People really need to get over the job he did at Everton, which while it was very solid, was nowhere near the achievements portrayed in the media.

At times he spent big there yet you would think he did the whole tenure on a Couple of quid the way ppl talk about his 'shoestring budget'.

And like many are using the Everton fans to back up their opinion of martinez..... do they want moyes back? Do they balls?

The ultimate conman who is the master of lowering expectations and manipulating himself as an underdog story.

You could apply almost all of that to Martinez.

Moyes is by far the better manager.

Interview with CNN yesterday suggested we had our man and would announce in the next 48 hours.

My F5 button is overworked.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Moyes is by far the better manager.

You're not really backing that up with anything. Probably because there isn't anything to back it up with.

Both have had good/bad spells. Both are overhyped by the media. Both have made some good signings and some bloody awful ones. Both have spent big money at times and gone on to underachieve.

What I will say about martinez is he isn't afraid of losing - probably why hes actually won something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

In that interview Hollis did with WM he made it very clear that he was still the Chairman of the Football until the sale was complete. He also made a point of saying that whilst he is still Chairman he could appoint a new manager without Tony's having any input.  

The Tom Ross interview? That's the exact opposite conclusion I came to from that interview. 

To me it was Hollis saying "I still have to emphasise that I am Chairman for legal reasons but reading between the lines Xia is now making the decisions"

Edited by mwj

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Yes - in theory he could - IMO he should have appointed a manager long ago, if XIA doesn't like it, XIA can deal with it when he assumes full control.

The reality is perhaps different, Sure he could approach Pearson 'OK as agreed the jobs yours - the new owner doesn't want you - but I run the show for the next few weeks' .....Hardly appealing is it.

Conversley, he (Hollis) can't appoint XIA 's chosen man, in case the deal collapses. Hollis would then find himself with a manager he wasn't really sold on. And questions as to why he ignored the research by Bernstein et al. 

I know Hollis is flavour of the month - but he should have prepared for next season regardless of the takeover - execute a business as usual plan.