Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Actually, I think appointing a manager and getting started is the only way to stop the questioning of credentials. He will be whatever it is that he does; so until he starts doing, there will be questions.*

*that makes sense in my head.

35 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

I heard him say in one of the interviews that the search had been comprehensive and has been going on for a few months. If that's the case, I find it hard to believe the only people in contention are Pearson, RDM and Moyes?

I am sure on a manager hunt you realise just how shit Championship is considered to be. I am sure at the start the target list was vast likely spanning every manager free and in a job. The fact is though the Championship is just not a place a great manager wants to be seen. Newcastle lucked out keeping Benitez, but they only kept him because he was already in the role to negotiate with they wouldn't have got him otherwise.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

I am sure on a manager hunt you realise just how shit Championship is considered to be. I am sure at the start the target list was vast likely spanning every manager free and in a job. The fact is though the Championship is just not a place a great manager wants to be seen. Newcastle lucked out keeping Benitez, but they only kept him because he was already in the role to negotiate with they wouldn't have got him otherwise.

I wouldn't call it luck. They went for Benitez mid season - we went for Garde - thats poor judgement not luck. Take note Tony. !!!

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah sure, that's why :D

Or it's because it's **** obvious.

He's had more than one good season for a start.

Everton under Moyes

7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th

'One good season' :D

If Moyes has had one good season, then how the hell can you describe Martinez's record. Especially considering the players Martinez had.

Staggering failure in logic by Woodytom here. Pelting Moyes but defending Martinez.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I wouldn't call it luck. They went for Benitez mid season - we went for Garde - thats poor judgement not luck. Take note Tony. !!!

Oh I know it was a great move of them mid-season but getting Benitez to agree to a season in the Championship, I think a bit of luck was on their side with that one he could have easily resigned. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

We both got relegated so its poor judgement by both!! 

Edited by dn1982

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Everton under Moyes

If Moyes has had one good season, then how the hell can you describe Martinez's record. Especially considering the players Martinez had.

Staggering failure in logic by Woodytom here. Pelting Moyes but defending Martinez.

I wouldn't even mind Martinez to be honest. I know you hate him, but I'd be ok with it. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but certainly wouldn't be bottom of the list either.

But trying to claim he's better than Moyes is mad, imo. It's no contest.

• Like 2

Just now, Daweii said:

Oh I know it was a great move of them mid-season but getting Benitez to agree to a season in the Championship, I think a bit of luck was on their side with that one he could have easily resigned. 

Like Brian Clough used to say 'Once you have a player you want in negotiations he doesn't leave until he's signed'  

It would be great from XIA if he just wouldn't take 'no' from Moyes 

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

So has martinez.

For Everton he didn't.

And even at Wigan, his 'good' season was blemished because he took them down (which Bruce and Jewell DIDN'T do spending less money)

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Everton under Moyes

Sorry where did I say moyes had had 1 good season?

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

This is actually how Xia will determine the new manager - each candidate is to present their testicles on Xia's desk, whoever has the greatest mass in that area gets the job. 

You mean I would be able to get any job on Earth via this method? ;)

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

So has martinez.

Debateable.

I don't think he has.

I think he had a couple of ok seasons for Wigan, and one good season for Everton.

That's been interspersed with poor seasons for Wigan and 2 terrible seasons for Everton.

I'd say he was up there as the poorest performing manager in the Premier League in each of the past 2 seasons. Our managers would probably have pipped him for a start, but he's certainly part of the conversation in both seasons, the season just gone especially. I honestly think you could argue he did the worst job of any manager in the most recent season. The only ones I think could be argued were worse would be McLaren or Sherwood/Garde

He's not a good manager.

Edited by Stevo985

I just can't comprehend how you can look at Moyes' record at Everton and Martinez's at Everton/Wigan and even remotely compare them. Moyes is light-years ahead.

Failing at United, having to follow on from the greatest manager of all time; it's a bit unfair. Look at LVG, he spent more than twice than Moyes and he struggled with them too. And Sociedad, better managers than Moyes will work abroad and fail too.

Martinez is horrific. Total sham. As I said, even his best season with Wigan culminated in them going down, having spent more more than both of his predecessors in Bruce and Jewell.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I just can't comprehend how you can look at Moyes' record at Everton and Martinez's at Everton/Wigan and even remotely compare them.

I'm not. I'm focusing on their whole careers.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Failing at United, having to follow on from the greatest manager of all time; it's a bit unfair.

Unfair? This is professional football. You take the champions of england to 7th via spending 70m then you fail, simple as.

Also, on this point. Given that moyes did so well with Everton, it makes it even more remarkable that martinez initially took them forward by achieving their best ever points tally immediately after following there greatest ever premier league manager? 

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Look at LVG, he spent more than twice than Moyes and he struggled with them too. 

You're defending the failings of a manager by pointing out that another manager has failed. They've both failed at man utd. Simple as.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And Sociedad, better managers than Moyes will work abroad and fail too.

Again, you're making excuses for any time in which moyes has failed. They're piss poor excuses as well.