Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

You are absolutely right, and I realise that in our present plight our options are limited, but I am a little fearful that the height of the club's ambition is to gain mid-table Championship status.

Obviously that isn't the height of anyone's ambitions. If that's worrying you, you can relax. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We don't know for sure he isn't interested yet at this stage. I think if the fans are chanting for him, and I am David Moyes I am thinking the fans want me and will get behind me why wouldn't I want to come to a club similar size to everton just hugely under-achieving. 

It's probably not the fans that worry him, it's the fact we'll be in the Championship and that our chairman couldn't give a monkeys, won't invest and wants to sell the club. No point getting angry with this new football board for not appointing Moyes, I strongly doubt he has any intention of coming in our current plight.

48 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I like Moyes but I hope he is smarter than that.

Celtic are up there ??? In that case Anderleicht, Grasshoppers and a few other european clubs are up there as well.

? Anderlecht and Grasshoppers fan base is nowhere near that of Celtic. Moyes is right, in terms of global support Celtic's support is massive

Edited by KHV
  • Like 1

I do find some posts where they say "manager X is available we should get him and I'll be angry if we don't " funny . We have no idea if that manager has been approached and if they want more to work with than we have to spend.

All we can do is speculate on who we'd like.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I feel like Leicester's good run in their survival season and Ranieri's Leicester this season are giving people a slightly skewed memory of Pearson's achievements and ability.

He has, what?, one promotion to the Premier League? Other available managers have many more.

Those three mentioned transfers were great. What happened to that Russian striker he bought for about £9m?

1x Championship title, 1x League title and 2x Championship play off (appearances not promotion). Then of course that great escape last season where they finished 14th from the grave. 

The Croatian striker they brought in is on loan at Hoffenheim because they want him to get game time. I think he has scored some goals over there and is doing ok. But yes he hasn't worked out like the others mainly because he can't get in the side with the other guys firing on all cylinders. 

Surely we will see the new man appointed after today's relegation - if we do I imagine we'll start to see first 11s of players that will be staying at the club. If they can get some performances in we could end the season on a positive, albeit a small one.

If the board choose a manager that is popular with the majority of fans there will be more tolerance, a longer honey moon period and patience from the fans if we get off to a slow start which is possible because everyones talking about getting rid of 90% of the players so building a new first eleven and getting them to gel is a massive challenge.

I wanted Pearson to come in instead of Garde. At the time I remember reading message boards like this one spitting vitriol and threatening to never go to another game.

We should of got Moyes when MO'n walked. This is the 3rd opportunity. It's like the Robbie Keane saga. When he finally landed here he was great.

That's still ignoring the fact he probably doesn't want to come and has been asked more than once to do so, I think he was approached/interviewed when we got Garde IIRC, and I'm pretty sure a few appointments before that too. I'd like it to happen, don't get me wrong, I'd like him to come here and be properly backed and build a good squad and turn things around.

I just can't see it though, since his Preston days he's always wanted to get to the very top and managing us in the Championship with an owner intent on selling and no massive investment around the corner is not a step on the way to the top. I agree we are a sleeping (well drugged and battered into a coma) giant with huge potential. We are not set up to achieve it any time soon though. 

As for Garde, he was shafted by circumstance and the men who hired him were got rid of before he was. he will have a great career I'm sure and it was a missed opportunity for the club in January by not backing him.

The new manager, working with Lerner is going to have a tough job IMO too. Moyes will know this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I want Moyes.I dont understand all this about we need a manager with championship experiance bit ?

Surley a good manager would know how to manage a football team, any team with the help of his backroom staff.Look at Poticceno at Spurs, he is doing a great job there and he went really well at Southampton before that and what about Liverpool ? they are doing ok without a manager with previous Premier League experiance.

Totally agree. I bet if the utter impossible happened and we somehow got Mourinho in or persuade Alex Ferguson out of retirement there would be no one questioning their lack of championship experience.  Where is this imaginary line drawn? 

On 4/15/2016 at 11:04, BOF said:

By the sounds of that, maybe we could go for Cambiasso instead :D

In all seriousness it would not surprise me if he wen't on to become a very talented manager when his playing career is over.

Extremely intelligent player.

Could be like Diego Simeone (but actually taking his prescribed Ritalin)

In all seriousness it would not surprise me if he wen't on to become a very talented manager when his playing career is over.

Extremely intelligent player.

Could be like Diego Simeone (but actually taking his prescribed Ritalin)

I agree. I'd be more surprised if he didn't end up a manager.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

I'd take Chris Houghton - he has done a great job wherever he has been! What he has done with Brighton this year is fantastic! Also he brought Newcastle straight back up as champions!

See what happens if they don't go up...maybe a reason why we're holding fire as likes of Bruce and Hughton could be available by late May if neither go up.

I'd still like to get in a manager in a.s.a.p as there are capable ones without a job currently....Moyes, Pearson, Monk etc.

Imho it would be a dereliction of duty for the board to appoint Pearson if Moyes is available.

Here is a manager who was a manager at one of the biggest clubs in the world less than 2 years ago, has managed in the CL, who , you could argue, took a similar sized club as us, to the edge of the CL qualification stage on regular occasions, and who is quite willing, apparently , to come down, and rebuil, not only our club, but also his own reputation.I find it difficult to warm to Pearson, and apart from 10 games last season at Leicester, can't understand what makes him so attractive.

The appointment of Moyes would send a message that we are serious for a change, the appointment of Pearson would be another Sherwood appointment imo, it might work, but it probably won't.