The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Sadly they'll all probably be at their 3rd homes in a tax haven somewhere getting rich with the other disaster capitalists.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolute worst case for any of them? They resign blaming other people not doing what they had wanted which would have made everything fine. Then move to France / USA / Ireland / Germany and make the occasional appearance on Newsnight explaining how they would deal with the shit show if they were still here.

It's quite comforting to know that they all have several hundred thousand in the bank and a little place in France they can retire to.

There will be no opportunity to spit on a 50p piece and throw it down in front of a ragged Rees Mogg. 

I know in reality that's the truth but... hey ho... a  boy can dream

• Like 2

So given that the govt are discussing stockpiling food etc, and that us Brits are in the habit of stripping the shelves of our supermarkets like a swarm of locusts at the first hint of snow, never mind a full blown food crisis, are any of the rest of you thinking of building up your own supply?  I may be an old cynic, but I don't entirely trust the government to set up a storage and distribution enterprise big enough to supply the supermarkets for any length of time.  Even with the army dedicated to moving the food around, unless we are turning all our army bases into food depots and emptying out our aircraft hangers of planes so we can fill them with corned beef and beans we don't even have the storage to keep enough food in.

Whilst I have the opportunity I'm getting a big old deep-freezer to go in the garage and getting 10% more or so on each weekly shop. 

I mentioned it a week or two ago. Hopefully it proves to be entirely unnecessary, but I think at this point it'd be foolish to not be prepared.

When we have the NHS feeling the need to stockpile medicines, and more than one report that the government feel the need to stockpile food, it seems reasonable to hedge your bets and get a bit of an emergency stash ready. If it becomes reality, I wouldn't want to be reliant on the competence of our government. 

I'm not going mental and building a nuclear fallout shelter or anything, but I've got a bit of a stash of canned foods, a couple of big bags of pasta/rice/lentils, and quite a bit of frozen veg. Combined with a shelf of herbs/spices I could probably eat a healthy, if not exciting, diet for a month or so without having to go to the shops, or, you know, eat the neighbours. 

My approach is basically to chuck in an extra few tins whenever I see them on a special offer. Worst case scenario, I end up with loads of beans and tinned tomatoes, that I'll definitely eat anyway, and that I got on the cheap. 

Edited by Davkaus

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My approach is basically to chuck in an extra few tins whenever I see them on a special offer. Worst case scenario, I end up with loads of beans and tinned tomatoes, that I'll definitely eat anyway, and that I got on the cheap. 

#Winning 

"Least educated doctors in the world. Makes you proud to be British".

I'm not sure anyone, from patients, to currently qualified doctors, to current medical students should want FY1s unleashed with the same responsibilities as a current FY2. 

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean, even within the stupidity of the Tweet, it's even wrong!

I was gonna say, I'm sure two of my friends both did accelerated medical degrees.

It's not the reduced year, in and of itself that's a concern. As you say, there are accelerated courses at a few unis, presumably with certain prereqs.

What is deeply troubling is that the year they're talking about isn't cutting a year out of medical school and cramming more in, or anything like that, they're talking about allowing them to be registered as soon as they get through med school, rather than after their first foundation year as is currently the case.

Best case, hospitals ignore that and absolutely nothing changes. worst case, they treat them with the relative trust and independence of FY2s, which is dangerous and is going to kill people. You wouldn't find anyone with any medical experience thinking this would be a good idea.

Edited by Davkaus

On 31/07/2018 at 15:53, lapal_fan said:

If it were up to me, anybody could live where ever they wanted. 

Nice one if you've won the birth lottery and grew up not dying from AIDs/malnutrition/disease/famine/starvation. 

IDGAF what you look like, where you're from - as long as you don't bother me with shit, you're good.  

What if they do ? Then get out? ;)

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It will never come out in the media, but we are basically being blackmailed by the EU. There is no way in the world they will make it easy for us to leave. Nearly all the original plans by the tories which would have been mostly positive for us in the UK, have been thrown out by the EU. We are now being forced to back track by the EU, close to following there rules for when we leave.  May , although i'm not a lover, is getting a rough deal, but she is having to bite her tongue, as she can't just come out and say the EU are a bunch of Representatives for Wellingborough, she is trying her best to stay on there side, as we need too. 

Listen to a man who has hardly any bearing on Brexit, so can say what he wants, although it's being hidden by the Media boys. Nigel Farage. He sees the EU for what they really are. Everyone else involved in Brexit are to scared to come out and say they are just a bunch of non elected bureaucrats. 

Hey, it's a mystery to me too why the EU wouldn't let a member leave on favourable terms. Absolute mystery.

Same with those bastards at Mercedes. I was paying a monthly lease on a Merc and I said I wanted to stop paying the lease but still wanted the benefits of a Merc.. Do you know what, the bastards told me I could stay in, or I could buy myself out. But they wouldn't let me leave the deal and keep the car.

I guess its a european thing? 

• Like 3

Let Farage negotiate your lease, he wont kowtow to those Germans. Yes he is impotent and has no power other than rhetoric, but let him at them. He may have already invested in the odds of you not being able to end your lease early and as a result benefited from it, but lets let him at it none the less.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It will never come out in the media, but we are basically being blackmailed by the EU. There is no way in the world they will make it easy for us to leave. Nearly all the original plans by the tories which would have been mostly positive for us in the UK, have been thrown out by the EU. We are now being forced to back track by the EU, close to following there rules for when we leave.  May , although i'm not a lover, is getting a rough deal, but she is having to bite her tongue, as she can't just come out and say the EU are a bunch of Representatives for Wellingborough, she is trying her best to stay on there side, as we need too. 

Listen to a man who has hardly any bearing on Brexit, so can say what he wants, although it's being hidden by the Media boys. Nigel Farage. He sees the EU for what they really are. Everyone else involved in Brexit are to scared to come out and say they are just a bunch of non elected bureaucrats. 

More excellent evidence as to why a further referendum on this isn't really going to solve the problem.

No matter how much evidence is placed in front of people, if they don't want to believe it then they'll just carry on in the little world of fantasy.

• Like 4

Â