The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Markets are forward looking. If the FTSE was going to crash because of Brexit it would have done it a long time ago. Not flirting with all time highs as it currently is.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In regards to investments. If you’re worried you’ll expect the pound to crash again. So keep your money in FTSE 100. It loves a weak pound. 

Right so.

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I can't think of many situations in history that compare to a state deciding to bin a trade deal that is more or less the complete foundation of its entire economy, right down to the states ability to feed itself, for no gain.

I'm close to believing that surely no sane politician would willingly inflict a no-deal Brexit on the country, it's so obviously stupid. So I either think that Brexit can't happen, or May will basically cave in and keep the UK in the single market and customs union, ensuring the country doesn't go pop. Essentially falling on her sword and committing political suicide but ultimately saving the country from an absolute disaster situation where trade would grind to a halt.

May will fail in her attempts to get the EU to agree to anything but what is already precedent in other non member agreements. No special deals, we've known that all along, it's a Brexiteer blatent lie to suggest otherwise, as has been proven by 2 years of wasted negotiation time.

The trade experts are telling us, without a trade deal there is simply no way for lorries full of food and medicine even leave their country of origin, let alone get stuck at Dover. If that's not a bit worrying, I don't know what is. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm close to believing that surely no sane politician would willingly inflict a no-deal Brexit on the country, it's so obviously stupid. So I either think that Brexit can't happen, or May will basically cave in and keep the UK in the single market and customs union, ensuring the country doesn't go pop. Essentially falling on her sword and committing political suicide but ultimately saving the country from an absolute disaster situation where trade would grind to a halt.

May will fail in her attempts to get the EU to agree to anything but what is already precedent in other non member agreements. No special deals, we've known that all along, it's a Brexiteer blatent lie to suggest otherwise, as has been proven by 2 years of wasted negotiation time.

The trade experts are telling us, without a trade deal there is simply no way for lorries full of food and medicine even leave their country of origin, let alone get stuck at Dover. If that's not a bit worrying, I don't know what is. 

I've no faith in May at all. She's always been power hungry and always does stupid things to maintain or gain power, even if it's only a short term solution. I'm quite certain she would rather reign in hell, so to speak - she won't fall on her sword for the better of the country. She'd rather cling to power with the economy going to ****, even if ultimately that would also lead to her demise.

We also don't seem to get it at government level. We're still trying to divide Europe, going over Barnier's head because we seem to not understand he's acting on the instructions of the rest of the EU and they will not budge from what is good for them. Trying to butter up the Austrians and the French to get them to break ranks in our favour is stupid, but we keep doing it.

I increasingly think we'll get no deal through sheer incompetence.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was just the chance many took for the hope of a better future. 

What do you hope for in this better future? How long into the future do you think it will take to achieve parity on what we’ve lost in the meantime to get to this mythical better place? How many generations will have been harmed to get there and how do you see us solving the problem of the social disruption and inequality that will inevitably be a result of this? Will it have been worth it?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Markets are forward looking. If the FTSE was going to crash because of Brexit it would have done it a long time ago. Not flirting with all time highs as it currently is.

Isnt the ftse doing well because of the weak pound?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That worked out really well didn’t it

Oh an unmitigated disaster! I was just lightly ribbing @Chindie ‘s penchant for the superlative.

Im fairly sure that Brexit, success or failure, will become little more than a footnote in the annals of history let alone be regarded as the worst policy of any government in history...even down to the state’s ability to feed itself! 

20 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Oh an unmitigated disaster! I was just lightly ribbing @Chindie ‘s penchant for the superlative.

Im fairly sure that Brexit, success or failure, will become little more than a footnote in the annals of history let alone be regarded as the worst policy of any government in history...even down to the state’s ability to feed itself! 

What makes you so sure? Please tell me you have at least a tad more evidence than gut feeling

1 hour ago, bickster said:

What makes you so sure? Please tell me you have at least a tad more evidence than gut feeling

I haven’t quite managed to perfect evidencing the future! But are you asking why I’m sure that in 100 years time the U.K. altering the terms of a trade deal with some other countries won’t be considered to be one of the most significant events in world history? 

E1F0F8B9-D4EA-4DC0-86AF-FD28DDDAC87D.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I haven’t quite managed to perfect evidencing the future! But are you asking why I’m sure that in 100 years time the U.K. altering the terms of a trade deal with some other countries won’t be considered to be one of the most significant events in world history? 

E1F0F8B9-D4EA-4DC0-86AF-FD28DDDAC87D.jpeg

Which is perhaps why Brexit is such a stupid idea. There are unknown amounts of problems and absolutely no solutions. The only solution has been the hope on the EU giving us unprecedented access to the single market, which they have said all along will never happen. It won't happen. Putting faith in a prime minister desperate to appease the hardcore Brexit elements of her party (despite supporting remain) and the lying two faced, self serving, bell-ends that ran the leave campaign is pretty desperate, it'll end in tears. 

The potential fallout of Brexit is quite drastic, but the only possible benefits I have heard from Brexiteers are the fact they'll be less immigration (which isn't a tangible benefit) or the idea that the UK will be able to make its own decisions (but perversely will  mean we may be forced to adhere to regulations we have no say on, whereas we did before Brexit) 

The problem with Brexit is that it is being considered emotionally rather than pragmatically. It's sobering the impact a no deal Brexit could have on the day-to-day lives of people and yet so many will ignore that until the reality is stark and striking. So many Brexiteers will feel utterly betrayed and disillusioned.

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We haven't always been a member of the EU an we have managed. Heath got us in without a referendum in 72,  knowingly even then we would have opposed it.

An opinion which is backed up by the result of  the referendum in 1975.

Or not.

• Like 1

Of course it is entirely possible that Brexit will descend into the Seige of Britain 2019, where our once former allies ensure food and medical supplies are withheld until thousands are dying on the streets of Hemel Hempstead whilst being told ‘you’ve only got yourselves to blame’. Or it may be that the country is plunged into some economic abyss and scenes remenicent of the Great Depression of the 30s will be pushed to the fore for the much fabled ‘generations to come’. 

In which case, rest assured, should I make it through, betrayed and disillusioned, I shall ensure my survivor testimony reads ‘ @PompeyVillan I should have heeded your warnings. You were right.’

• Haha 1

'We coped before the EU' is such a disingenuous point to make. 

Different world, different technology, different everything.

And we're so intertwined with the EU in every aspect, we can't just leave without working it out properly.

Unfortunately those in power have no interest in sorting it out properly.

• Like 3

Â