The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

26 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The Tories always talk about red tape, without ever being specific.Health and safety, workers rights, minimum standards of hygiene etc. All are at risk with these bastards.

It was scrapping of the pesky EU red tape that allows water companies to dump untreated sewerage into our rivers.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was scrapping of the pesky EU red tape that allows water companies to dump untreated sewerage into our rivers.

Its outrageous whats gone on with the rivers, years of trying to bring wildlife back to them has been destroyed by lack of investment and the high price of the chemicals that are needed to treat it ( logistics issues caused by Brexit as well) Greed at its worst .

The opposition parties should be all over this issue . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Its outrageous whats gone on with the rivers, years of trying to bring wildlife back to them has been destroyed by lack of investment and the high price of the chemicals that are needed to treat it ( logistics issues caused by Brexit as well) Greed at its worst .

The opposition parties should be all over this issue . 

They don't need to. Feargal Sharkey is all over it, which is not something I thought I ever would write. 

Just goes to show, he has a good heart after all.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just posting here because it occurred to me in the Russia thread. I was wrong. I thought Brexit would be disastrous for the UK economy. Instead the UK is once again the 5th largest GDP in the world and growing. 

As a big Pro EU guy and anti Brexiter I feel the need to admit the economy has done well and hasn't been a disaster.

I still want the UK to return to the EU but I cannot use the economy in tatters as an argument. I DO care about rights and freedom of movement but I have to concede the economy argument. Thats a good thing, nobody should want our country to fail, even if the people who led the Brexit campaign are loathsome.

Of course inflation is hitting the UK like everywhere but credit where credit is due. It wasnt a disaster.  Fairplay Brexit voters I got it wrong.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not?  I don’t pay massively close attention, but remember reading an FT article that basically said the economy has been hit pretty hard.

I too wondered if it was some kind of piss take. The economy is way down on where it was. The UK economy fell much harder  than other comparable economies during the pandemic. Entire industries like fishing and farming remain on their knees. 

• Like 3

Others might be in a better position to comment but a cursory glance, and I stress that, it seems we are 5th in the world and it seems that our GDP is that of 2016. Of course if the forecast was to be 3rd or 4th then we aren't doing well but as a headline, seems ciggies might be right. 

• Thanks 1

The 1 year reviews last month all said the same thing, Brexit was terrible for the economy.

Some quotes from the ft reciew

They say growth has been already hit by the new rules which kicked in on January 1 when the UK officially left the bloc. Over time, these could leave the country roughly 4 per cent worse off than it would have been had the 2016 EU referendum gone the other way, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility.

7d1e8300-5db8-11ec-b025-23f410955a6b-mob

UK growth has lagged behind the US and the eurozone. Gross domestic product in the UK was 3.9 per cent higher in the third quarter of 2021 than in the second quarter of 2016. Over the same period, however, the eurozone produced 6.2 per cent growth and the US 10.6 per cent.

John Springford, deputy director of the Centre for European Reform think-tank, estimated the likely UK trade performance based on a model, “doppelgänger UK”, derived from the performance of similar countries. The model showed that as of October, the latest month for which data is available, UK imports and exports of goods were 15.7 per cent below the level that could have been expected had the UK not left the EU’s customs union and single market in January.

12f50970-61bb-11ec-ad3d-f97d362b6242-mob

Lots more on the link above. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just posting here because it occurred to me in the Russia thread. I was wrong. I thought Brexit would be disastrous for the UK economy. Instead the UK is once again the 5th largest GDP in the world and growing. 

As a big Pro EU guy and anti Brexiter I feel the need to admit the economy has done well and hasn't been a disaster.

I still want the UK to return to the EU but I cannot use the economy in tatters as an argument. I DO care about rights and freedom of movement but I have to concede the economy argument. Thats a good thing, nobody should want our country to fail, even if the people who led the Brexit campaign are loathsome.

Of course inflation is hitting the UK like everywhere but credit where credit is due. It wasnt a disaster.  Fairplay Brexit voters I got it wrong.

UK Economy is currently growing fast,  but it's doing that because we fell much further than all other major economies during the pandemic, so we had much more space to make up just to get back to some semblance of normality.  But we're still a long way behind here we should be. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

1A0DB4AF-5DBF-4BB7-B6E6-EA23CCE41F51.png

9910CCB3-2B8B-47EE-9DA1-8266CC9A1570.png

What is the Bassline for “growth”?

As has been mentioned already, the UK economy collapsed far more than other nations during the last 18 months so “growth” is not telling the full story.

If we collapsed by 10% then recovered by 5% it’s not better than Germany or France dropping by 5% and recovering 4%.

4 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Nice to see the see the argument moving on from “oh it will be an unmitigated disaster” to “oh it would be soooo much better if we were in the EU”. 

What the difference?

”We” voted for leave the EU for prosperity amongst other things and every indicator suggests we’re worse off without anything to suggest it will ever change. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Nice to see the see the argument moving on from “oh it will be an unmitigated disaster” to “oh it would be soooo much better if we were in the EU”. 

One consistent is the brexit argument hasn't moved on from selective use of details and from being dependent on people sounding out all the rest of the noise. "It's OK, I'm right, I have this one graph."

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

The reason we had the 5th largest economy, is in large part because we were inside the largest economic bloc in the world for for the best part of 50 years. I wouldn’t put money on us retaining that position now that we have reintroduced so many trade barriers.

11 minutes ago, Rolta said:

One consistent is the brexit argument hasn't moved on from selective use of details and from being dependent on people sounding out all the rest of the noise. "It's OK, I'm right, I have this one graph."

Selective data selection in this thread. Whod’ve thunk it?! Breaking new ground. 

55 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

1A0DB4AF-5DBF-4BB7-B6E6-EA23CCE41F51.png

9910CCB3-2B8B-47EE-9DA1-8266CC9A1570.png

Please post the same graph showing how far the UK economy fell in relation to the rest of the G7 during the pandemic.

We're currently like a marathon runner coming in in 8th place putting on a sprint finish after the other runners have finished.

Claiming this as vindication is utterly laughable.

• Like 2

Â