The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

You forget that it really doesn’t have anything to do with numbers, facts or data and has everything to do with feelings and intuition.

The feeling of malnutrition may just put things into sharper focus? :(

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 13:25, Stevo985 said:

What's their point?

The 'point' is to remind Leave voters who may have become tempted to take a look at Labour over the last few weeks that Starmer was the arch remainer. It's quite a good idea IMO, and I imagine his support for Remain, and particularly for a second referendum, will be a millstone round his neck for a while yet.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'point' is to remind Leave voters who may have become tempted to take a look at Labour over the last few weeks that Starmer was the arch remainer. It's quite a good idea IMO, and I imagine his support for Remain, and particularly for a second referendum, will be a millstone round his neck for a while yet.

As has been said earlier it could backfire if a lot of people are feeling disgruntled with how Brexit has gone.  They may be reminding them that Starmer had a point. 

Let's face it, a big chunk of people who voted were not passionate Brexit throbbers, quite a few were just "what the hell, let's suck it and see" types. 

They might now see him as a clever figure who knew what he was on about.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As has been said earlier it could backfire if a lot of people are feeling disgruntled with how Brexit has gone.  They may be reminding them that Starmer had a point. 

Let's face it, a big chunk of people who voted were not passionate Brexit throbbers, quite a few were just "what the hell, let's suck it and see" types. 

They might now see him as a clever figure who knew what he was on about.

It's a big country so that will definitely describe *some* people, but polling suggests most people haven't budged from their original opinions in 2016. In truth, covid has so utterly dominated news and politics for the last two years, Brexit has barely got a look in, so even though things have changed, the consequences of those changes have not been particularly widely debated yet (and some of the more profound changes, eg to travel to the continent, are in areas which have been particularly strongly impacted by the pandemic). 

It's possible that as covid (hopefully!) fades as an issue, Brexit may rise again in salience, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that people now have such entrenched views on the topic that almost nothing will change them. 

41 minutes ago, Enda said:

The unrestricted transfer of goods across 28 countries with no checks is helpful when a country faces supply issues.

Yeah but you pay by filling your country up with thieving *insert Eastern European country*, taking arr jobs, driving down arr wages, filling up arr empty high streets with speciality food shops, speaking their pig language minding their own business.

When you put it like that, what's really the lower standard on living, eh? Amirite?

Tried to ask my dad what evidence he would need to think this was a bad decision. Caveated with my opinion that if things were improving that would be the evidence for me to change mine.

He stands by it, nothing can change his mind. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Without going too deep into the insanity of this...

Are there ANY car manufacturers that just make cars for the British market? (I'm thinking not)

I'm expecting the Ineos Grenadier to run a very flag-centric marketing campaign. Can't see them really selling many anywhere though. And they moved manufacturing to France anyway, so they'll be made in line with pesky life-saving guidance.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Are there ANY car manufacturers that just make cars for the British market? (I'm thinking not)

Yeah, sounds like horseshit to me. 

Maybe we could import vehicles from markets that don't produce to EU standards. However if we do this then it raises questions on our vehicles being allowed onto EU roads, basically it would create a nightmare scenario for the benefit of no-one. The lunatics have well and truly taken over the asylum. 

• Like 3

That was exactly my thought. Car manufacturers aren’t going to engineer for this. 
And if somehow the UK diverged from existing standards then it would add cost and complexity. 

European car manufacturers do have to separately engineer for UK vehicles in the sense that they need to make a separate UK 'right hand drive' model. Presumably they could also drop other manufacturing requirements at that stage if it was cheaper to do so? I don't think other right hand drive markets like India or Australia would necessarily follow EU regulations either so that cheaper (and presumably less safe?) UK version could potentially be the version sold abroad?

14 hours ago, bickster said:

The only thing I could think of would be very specific types of van maybe. But I'm really stretching there.

So the simple answer is no :) 

• Like 1

Â