The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Brexit could still yet be a really positive thing.

As it stands I can’t see how it can be. We need some proper trade deals, or softening of red tape with the EU then I agree it could be.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Brexit could still yet be a really positive thing.

Not if you enjoyed your freedom of movement and nice rivers etc. 

Besides that it could be good but it could be really shit too. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

As it stands I can’t see how it can be. We need some proper trade deals, or softening of red tape with the EU then I agree it could be.

I guess it’s the definition of positive.

No amount of rolling back workers’ rights will be positive. I have no interest in going back to pre decimal coinage, weights, and measures.

So I’m not sure this particular government are going to be able to find the positive. Unless I go down my usual path and take a few years of corruption excused by the likes of Rees Mogg as possibly breaking the whole thing up and finally allowing England its independence. 

But at some point we might just be forced to find that sweet spot of having access to markets and a USP. This current shower are unlikely to be the ones to find it - although their luck to date, perhaps I shouldn’t pre judge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Not if you enjoyed your freedom of movement and nice rivers etc. 

Besides that it could be good but it could be really shit too. 

Scotland can enjoy their freedom of movement, Ireland can be unified and England will be free to shit in its own rivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/09/arron-banks-russia-brexit-meeting

Arron Banks, the millionaire businessman who bankrolled Nigel Farage’s campaign to quit the EU, had multiple meetings with Russian embassy officials in the run-up to the Brexit referendum, documents seen by the Observer suggest.

Banks, who gave £12m of services to the campaign, becoming the biggest donor in UK history, has repeatedly denied any involvement with Russian officials, or that Russian money played any part in the Brexit campaign. The Observer has seen documents which a senior Tory MP says, if correct, raise urgent and troubling questions about his relationship with the Russian government.

Link to Guardian, which says Arron Banks was repeatedly invited to meetings with Russian Ambassador. And the Russian Ambassador introduced him to businessmen based in Moscow.

It’s really nice of Russia to help out ordinary British citizens like that.

Sounds like P&O ferries are about to announce they're going to sack all of their British ferry operatives because they're so expensive to employ and replace them with cheaper foreign labour.

I expect now we're in charge of our own policy the Government will step in and say they can't do that safeguarding all of those British jobs........Won't they?

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sounds like P&O ferries are about to announce they're going to sack all of their British ferry operatives because they're so expensive to employ and replace them with cheaper foreign labour.

I expect now we're in charge of our own policy the Government will step in and say they can't do that safeguarding all of those British jobs........Won't they?

You nailed it, our days of being bullied are over. 

• Like 1

I'd be wary of laying this at the door of that at this stage. I imagine their terms of employment will in the jurisdiction of where the ships are registered, and I'd then wager that P&O have registered them somewhere with even more lax workers rights than here.

Happy to be corrected on both points though.

The video to staff is pretty blunt.

• Shocked 2

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd be wary of laying this at the door of that at this stage. I imagine their terms of employment will in the jurisdiction of where the ships are registered, and I'd then wager that P&O have registered them somewhere with even more lax workers rights than here.

Well that should kill the company in this country if anyone has any principles whatsoever.

45 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm not saying this happened BECAUSE of Brexit, I'm saying that Brexit should enable us to save those jobs. 

We're our own sovereign nation now, we can do whatever we want, we can tell them they can't sail from our ports anymore unless they reinstate the UK staff effectively finishing their business.  We could then offer to buy the ships off them and start a nationalised Ferry service.

I know none of this is going to happen but it's the kind of thing that man in the pub pontificating about Brexit would have said is the kind of thing we could do after Brexit.

Has Farage commented on this yet?   I'm sure he'll have some nonsense to say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not saying this happened BECAUSE of Brexit, I'm saying that Brexit should enable us to save those jobs. 

We're our own sovereign nation now, we can do whatever we want, we can tell them they can't sail from our ports anymore unless they reinstate the UK staff effectively finishing their business.  We could then offer to buy the ships off them and start a nationalised Ferry service.

I know none of this is going to happen but it's the kind of thing that man in the pub pontificating about Brexit would have said is the kind of thing we could do after Brexit.

Has Farage commented on this yet?   I'm sure he'll have some nonsense to say.

Well he can't use RT anymore.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Then again, apparently it's only the British staff who are out. Twitter (caveat emptor) suggests that P&O's staff in France are not impacted by the announcement.

So maybe there is something particular about British staff that is different after all. 

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Then again, apparently it's only the British staff who are out. Twitter (caveat emptor) suggests that P&O's staff in France are not impacted by the announcement.

So maybe there is something particular about British staff that is different after all. 

Hmm.  BBC were saying British and French. 

It's OK though, Grant Shapps is "concerned" 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmm.  BBC were saying British and French. 

It's OK though, Grant Shapps is "concerned" 

A quick glance at a few French titles, they're reporting that the French staff are fine. I'd still guess it's more to do with French labour laws being heavily-weighted towards the employee than anything Brexity though. 

Edit - on your second point, presumably this can't have been done without the "concerned" Government's prior knowledge? Reports say that there were coachloads of waiting Colombian workers waiting on the docks to get the ferries sailing again. They can't be there without visas, work permits and of course the skills and salary level that the Government now insist are crucial to be able to work in the UK.

So - how are they there and ready to start sailing without some sort of previous Home Office / Department of Transport knowledge and agreement? 

Edited by ml1dch

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

presumably this can't have been done without the "concerned" Government's prior knowledge?

That’s what I wondered. HR1 and all that. The headline I saw said they’d been sacked, rather than made redundant, so maybe that’s how they got round the HR1 thing? Obviously the employees have a legal case if it’s right that they were sacked. With redundancy as I understand it, compo is necessary and there is law around it. With (unfair) dismissal the employees have to through the extra pain of seeking redress.  Whatever. P&O management/ owners are words removed

Â