The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

Technically, we wouldn't be new members. That leaves a lot of wriggle room for both sides.

Let's face it, lot will depend on how badly they want us back. If they really want us back I'm sure some offer to seal the deal will be made. As you say we would actually be the first rejoining member I think? They'll surely find a way of the will is there. 

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Let's face it, lot will depend on how badly they want us back. If they really want us back I'm sure some offer to seal the deal will be made. As you say we would actually be the first rejoining member I think? They'll surely find a way of the will is there. 

Whether anyone is a remainer or leaver, if we ever chose to return to the EU do you for one second believe the Incompetent leaders of this country would ensure we got a good deal to go back in?

I for one don't believe it, there is too much self interest, inside trading and back scratching to have faith in our leaders to do the right thing for the country imo.

Whether we do or don't is a different matter, but I don't trust any of the parties to be able to get a good deal, they are all incompetent.

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Whether anyone is a remainer or leaver, if we ever chose to return to the EU do you for one second believe the Incompetent leaders of this country would ensure we got a good deal to go back in?

I for one don't believe it, there is too much self interest, inside trading and back scratching to have faith in our leaders to do the right thing for the country imo.

Whether we do or don't is a different matter, but I don't trust any of the parties to be able to get a good deal, they are all incompetent.

Zero chance with Boris in charge. If he leaves (no pun intended) or suffers an embarrassing result at the next GE then it’ll depend on what the new setup in the UK is.

If we manage to unearth a politician who isn’t completely **** self obsessed and useless then I think Europe would be open to sensible conversations about bringing the UK back into the EU. With sensible leadership it’s in most peoples interest to find a way to make the relationship with Europe work.

A big part of a new relationship with the EU will be educating the people of the UK on what the EU is and why it’s better to be in it that out of it. Yes, we put money in but it’s money we’ll spent. 
Yes, we’ll be bound by rules created outside of the UK but we have a say in their creation and an option to veto ones we really don’t like.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

This has cost the EU a fortune, it has changed the power dynamic with France now needing to do more of the heavy lifting to stop it just becoming a vehicle for German trade.

I think it will be quite a while before France and/or the EU wanting to spend any more time or money on this subject. It took a couple of goes to join the first time. I don’t see it being a serious topic of discussion for a generation.

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

A big part of a new relationship with the EU will be educating the people of the UK on what the EU is and why it’s better to be in it that out of it. 

So my big yellow bus idea is in then? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think that's right. But I think the trade side of things is potentially different, because the SM is a win-win situation. We didn't have to leave the SM (or the CU) to leave the EU, and we don't have to re-join the EU to re-enter those things. It's only Tory incompetence and rigid ideology that led to us leaving those. Now we're in a world where there are skills shortages, goods shortages, more red-tape for importers and exporters, labour shortages and all the rest of the clusterpork that's been created, it will only take a rejection of the current Guvmint to bring about rejoining the SM. It's really (to me) that straightforward.

I don’t know the answer to this, but would a possible condition of rejoining the single market, be that we adhere to EU standards on what we allow in to our country, and so that would impact our ‘new’ trade deals?

Imagine if we have to renege on our deals with Wakanda.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I think that's right. But I think the trade side of things is potentially different, because the SM is a win-win situation. We didn't have to leave the SM (or the CU) to leave the EU, and we don't have to re-join the EU to re-enter those things. It's only Tory incompetence and rigid ideology that led to us leaving those. Now we're in a world where there are skills shortages, goods shortages, more red-tape for importers and exporters, labour shortages and all the rest of the clusterpork that's been created, it will only take a rejection of the current Guvmint to bring about rejoining the SM. It's really (to me) that straightforward.

Yes, this. We won't rejoin the political institution for years, possibly ever, but much of the trade stuff will simply disappear as soon as there's a Labour government because they will accept 'dynamic alignment' with EU standards. Whether that actually necessitates joining the single market or customs union is a question about Switzerland or Norway or Turkey or whatever else, but the key point is that the whole idea of a customs border in the Irish Sea is just a consequence of Conservative Party pathology, it does not *need* to exist. 

At the end of the day, it was never about free trade deals, so there is likely to be no political cost to Labour for making signing new free trade deals impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not starting a new thread for it because there is in no way any point in doing that, but Gina Miller of legal case around Brexit fame has started her own political party, called 'True & Fair' or some such drivel. It launched today (about 15 people attended the launch).

Amazing how powerful a drug electoralism is, even poisoning the brains of people who have themselves demonstrated that it is possible (for wealthy people anyway) to impact the political process without being elected.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

I had never considered the angle that the Downing Street parties were an EU plot to destabilise / punish the UK.

When was Hitler's 4th Reich? Is he like Jesus and why weren't we told? When is Nazi Easter?

Â