The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have lived in Korea, China and Vietnam, and I can say with confidence that lots of people eat plenty of cheese. It is less common in traditional dishes, for sure, though some adaptations contain it. But people eat lots of pizza, just like everywhere else, and are not constantly shitting themselves. Most cheese contains fairly small amounts of lactose anyway.

That said, I'm skeptical that Japanese people will develop a sudden love of stilton, but less because of lactose-intolerance (stilton contains very little lactose) and more because they've got their own exciting foods and flavours and Britain is not known globally as a food culture (in fact, British food is mostly a source of either mockery or incomprehension in my experience).

OT a little , but it always baffles me when I'm out that way that  the younger Asians seem to  go wild for KFC  ,Pizza  and McDonald's ... e but then I suppose it's a change for them , in much the same way I 'd eat Chinese food for a "change"  from meat and chips

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT a little , but it always baffles me when I'm out that way that  the younger Asians seem to  go wild for KFC  ,Pizza  and McDonald's ... e but then I suppose it's a change for them , in much the same way I 'd eat Chinese food for a "change"  from meat and chips

I guess it's maybe some combination of a change from the norm as you say, the powerful marketing of big brands, and the addictive qualities of fat and salt?

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have lived in Korea, China and Vietnam, and I can say with confidence that lots of people eat plenty of cheese. It is less common in traditional dishes, for sure, though some adaptations contain it. But people eat lots of pizza, just like everywhere else, and are not constantly shitting themselves. Most cheese contains fairly small amounts of lactose anyway.

I do remember reading quite recently that the next predicted global food shortage is likely to be milk, as it (and its byproducts) become increasingly popular amongst the growing Asian middle-classes and demand is starting to massively outstrip supply. 

Although I accept that I might just have been the victim of targeted propaganda by the milk marketing board. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I do remember reading quite recently that the next predicted global food shortage is likely to be milk, as it (and its byproducts) become increasingly popular amongst the growing Asian middle-classes and demand is starting to massively outstrip supply. 

Although I accept that I might just have been the victim of targeted propaganda by the milk marketing board. 

Big Milk have always been ****. First they came for Accrington now they're scaremongering and stirring up tensions with the Asian middle class.

On 11/08/2020 at 13:09, ml1dch said:

Second/ third generation Humphries FACT

The Express link above also notes the break-down of trade talks with Japan:

The UK has insisted one of the main obstacles to a trade deal with the US, was further tariffs on British goods.

It comes as a separate deal with Japan stalled.

Japanese officials flew to the UK last week to continue talks with the two sides looking to conclude an agreement before the turn of the year.

Japan wants a deal agreed quickly so that it can then be ratified by the country's parliament before the turn of the year.

If a deal is not agreed, the two sides will trade on WTO rules.

Global Britain.

They’ll stamp their feet and scream and scream and scream. That’ll show these Johnie foreigners we mean business. If we wanted all the benefits of a club, we shouldn’t have left it in the first place. The world does not owe us a living. 

Edited by meregreen

18 minutes ago, meregreen said:

They’ll stamp their feet and scream and scream and scream. That’ll shows these Johnie foreigners we mean business. If we wanted all the benefits of a club, we shouldn’t have left it in the first place. The world does not owe us a living. 

If it wasn’t for us, they’d all be speaking German.

Look, it's very simple, if we can't have our cake and eat it too, we'll just not accept any cake at all. How do you like that?

I assume that the oven is still pre-heating for Boris's deal?

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Look, it's very simple, if we can't have our cake and eat it too, we'll just not accept any cake at all. How do you like that?

Did somebody say cake?!

A Conservative donor that was one of the only large UK businesses publicly to back leaving the European Union will get a tariff break worth up to £73m next year in one of the government’s first post-Brexit trade reforms, an Unearthed investigation has found.

Tate & Lyle Sugars (T&L) stands to be the sole beneficiary of a government decision to allow tariff-free imports of up to 260,000 tonnes of raw cane sugar next year, when the UK’s post-Brexit ‘transition’ arrangements with the EU come to an end. 

The US-owned company’s refinery in Silvertown, East London, is the country’s only importer of raw cane sugar – the UK’s other sugar producers use sugarbeet, grown domestically or in the EU. 

The government move has provoked fury from British farmers, who say it is “offshoring legitimate environmental concerns” by forcing them to compete with sugarcane grown to lower environmental standards than the UK’s. 

T&L aims to increase imports from major cane producers like Brazil and Australia, which allow intensive use of hazardous and bee-killing pesticides that are banned in the UK. Brazil last year cancelled a 10-year-old ban on sugarcane growing in the Amazon rainforest. 

The trade reform comes after years of aggressive campaigning by T&L for a Brexit that removes import tariffs on sugarcane. 

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2020/08/08/brexit-sugar-cane-tate-lyle-sweetheart-conservative/

• Thanks 2

Â