The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

This sort of question has been done many a time, it never ends well, ... Xaan's post showed why , you can't debate with that , a post like that doesn't want to be engaged with or given any counter arguments   , so in my head I think of this

season 13 GIF

and move on to the next post  ( no offence intended , I mean it with light hearted  jest )

Where @chrisp65 says  "For me personally, I was open to the idea of leaving the EU, I wasn’t ideologically committed to remaining "    , that works as a statement that I'd imagine many could agree with , that's probably as good an answer as any .

Fair enough, I’m aware of similar questions I suppose the reason I asked is as we get closer and more and more things are implemented it seems pertinent to ask again. 

As you point out the reasons, justified, pretend, misconstrued, miss understood or plain wrong don’t really matter now as people are aligned either way. 

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Absolutely no need for this level of aggression, considering the very open, honest and emotional nature of Straggler's post. 

because he's quoting something that's blatantly untrue. It's a bit like the debate that was had years ago when you coul buy a CDR for less than £1 and burn an album, so why were record companies charging £15 for a compact disc? It bears no resemblance to the actual cost of making the album. And therefore the $1 pricetag is bollocks! 

But you know that

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

... you can't debate with that , a post like that doesn't want to be engaged with or given any counter arguments...

You know they're a shitshow.

You couldn't construct an argument to convince yourself.

You're hoping something turns up.

54 minutes ago, welnik said:

because he's quoting something that's blatantly untrue

You've rather conflated a couple of things which isn't helpful (development costs and production costs) and then ignored the actual point (which is expounded upon in the follow up tweet with a link to a Washington Post article) and says the following:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welnik said:

because he's quoting something that's blatantly untrue. It's a bit like the debate that was had years ago when you coul buy a CDR for less than £1 and burn an album, so why were record companies charging £15 for a compact disc? It bears no resemblance to the actual cost of making the album. And therefore the $1 pricetag is bollocks! 

But you know that

But this is an album with stone cold guaranteed sales of millions and millions. This isnt the oasis 5th album or the low selling 7th album that will languish in bins. This is an utterly guaranteed big seller that is bigger than any other album that has come before it. It will more than recoup thousands of times over. 

Edited by Seat68

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

But this is an album with stone cold guaranteed sales of millions and millions. This isnt the oasis 5th album that will languish in bins. This is an utterly guaranteed big seller that is bigger than any other album that has come before it. It will more than recoup thousands of times over. 

Their fifth album outsold their fourth album , just in case you want to use that analogy again and revise the album count ....you're welcome  :) 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Their fifth album outsold their fourth album , just in case you want to use that analogy again and revise the album count ....you're welcome  :) 

I hoped, or at least assumed that their inexplicable popularity was on the wane by then. Don’t say anything but going to look up their worst selling album and change it. No one will notice. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You've rather conflated a couple of things which isn't helpful (development costs and production costs) and then ignored the actual point (which is expounded upon in the follow up tweet with a link to a Washington Post article) and says the following:

Their system is broken, and Gilliad have history on this.  Here is AOC taking them down last year.  After which they repaid millions of dollars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welnik said:

But you know that

Lets see if yopu can spot the flaw in your own argument and see where you might just be going wrong here

Album $1 to make sells for $15 and in that price is included all the A&R creative rights blah blah blah (no investment from we the people to start this)

Medicine $9 to make sells for $2500, same blah blah (we the people put $$shitloads in - so it doesn't fully include all the dev costs nor all of the intellectual Property rights either because that was already paid by the people)

Do you see how the two things aren't remotely comparable? And that one is a justifiable hike and the other is f***ing everyone over?

They are not remotely similar situations,

And thats without mentioning that one is a little luxury and the other is for saving peoples lives

• Like 2

The fact that we put some of the largest profit margins of ANY industry (US healthcare) on (Not even nice drugs for niche illnesses) basic drugs like insulin to keep people with every day diseases and illnesses is embarrassing as a species where we are meant to have empathy. 

and now the gammon generals are wading in on the NHS and they’re not even trying to hide it anymore. 

the British public lap up the deflection which is so obviously bull it’s almost impressive. Still got morons backing Jenrick on social, o haven’t read or seen such brainwashing since reading about China’s “educational camps”. 

I do feel at some point the stack of cards will fall and when they do I’ll be sure to say I told you so to everyone who voted for it and voted for these muppets.

its looking likely we will leave on WTO terms at the height of Covid economic impact. And no it won’t be the EU’ fault whatsoever. 

• Like 1

I still quite vividly remember the reaction of an American when they realised they could go to any supermarket here and buy a packet of painkillers and get change from a quid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kidlewis said:

the British public lap up the deflection which is so obviously bull it’s almost impressive. Still got morons backing Jenrick on social, o haven’t read or seen such brainwashing since reading about China’s “educational camps”.

I do feel at some point the stack of cards will fall and when they do I’ll be sure to say I told you so to everyone who voted for it and voted for these muppets.

its looking likely we will leave on WTO terms at the height of Covid economic impact. And no it won’t be the EU’ fault whatsoever. 

This. It's doing my head in. An enormous group of people have put their faith in Brexit without understanding pretty much anything on the topic—not what the EU is, not what free trade brought to our economy, not any positive that came with being a huge and powerful part of the EU. They don't have to like the EU, but if you're against it, get the facts straight and make a proper decision, not one based on utter crap.

Anyway, what you said—the Tory party and their like keep telling them everything they want to hear and it's so obvious. I am shocked at the wilful naivety. It's like watching children getting manipulated, and these people are adults. And with barely any appreciation of the alternative their minds have been bought. Now they lap up all the rest of the crap that goes with it because they have been lost to a culture war (phoney as always). They aligned themselves in a way so they don't have to admit to themselves that they were wrong. It's ego first, society second. It's pathetic and they're all so **** convinced of themselves. Brexit has been enormously revealing.

In this present moment, ignorance and ego are the defining characteristics of the UK, along with a nice dose of self-justifying entitlement. This is not what makes a good country.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rolta said:

In this present moment, ignorance and ego are the defining characteristics of the UK, along with a nice dose of self-justifying entitlement. This is not what makes a good country.

A very good summary of global politics

trump

johnson

putin

kim jon

The globe is being run by narcissists 

If I'm not mistaken, lactose intolerance is incredibly common in Japan. How much Stilton, or cheese in general, are we expecting they'll buy, and what's with this woman's obsession with cheese?

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If I'm not mistaken, lactose intolerance is incredibly common in Japan. How much Stilton, or cheese in general, are we expecting they'll buy, and what's with this woman's obsession with cheese?

I believe " cars for Cheese " on google will answer part of your question  ... but not the Truss'sss obsession with cheese

I have lived in Korea, China and Vietnam, and I can say with confidence that lots of people eat plenty of cheese. It is less common in traditional dishes, for sure, though some adaptations contain it. But people eat lots of pizza, just like everywhere else, and are not constantly shitting themselves. Most cheese contains fairly small amounts of lactose anyway.

That said, I'm skeptical that Japanese people will develop a sudden love of stilton, but less because of lactose-intolerance (stilton contains very little lactose) and more because they've got their own exciting foods and flavours and Britain is not known globally as a food culture (in fact, British food is mostly a source of either mockery or incomprehension in my experience).

• Like 1

Â