The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, blandy said:

That's not quite what @bannedfromHandV said, but I feel that it's frequently a line of thought used by "progressives" and indeed people from all spectrums. I do it, you do it, we all do it - "I see the wife of this Tory MP is on the board of Big PLC, that raises the suspicion that..." or whatever. It also forms the basis for "declaring an interest, for security clearances and all kinds.

When working as a designer at "Big German Sportswear Brand A" it was strongly advised not to form loving relationships with designers from "Big German Sportswear Brand B", and vice versa.

If we were so protective of t-shirts and trainers, I'm adamant that potential Russian involvement in national security and policy influence should be heavily scrutinised.

Also - Banks is clearly and demonstrably a dodgy toerag.

• Like 1

So, if there were a demo in Parliament Square to protest the Putin funded Brexit, which VTers would come?

It may be inconvenient, but do remember it's increasingly likely someone gets an eyewatering bill when your loved ones fall ill or die?

Just what you need after a family bereavement.

Wonder if any of Arron Banks' affordable policies would have covered the ten months of treatment my sister received before she died last year?

1 hour ago, Xann said:

So, if there were a demo in Parliament Square to protest the Putin funded Brexit, which VTers would come?

It may be inconvenient, but do remember it's increasingly likely someone gets an eyewatering bill when your loved ones fall ill or die?

Probably,  but that someone will still likely be the taxpayer rather than the individual or their family.

EddG6ccWsAEgCQX?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The likely increase in cost in the short term will not be from having to pay at the doors of the hospital, but in what the NHS pays to American pharmaceutical companies.

Precisely. 

Planning on dying in the short term?

What happens when the Epipen budget is exhausted because the price has doubled, which seems unreasonable until you remember they actually pay five times that in the US.

The list of treatments you can no longer get on the NHS will just grow and grow as prices rise and rise.

Then it will all about insurance, and how the likes of Banks will charge excess and use the small print to get out of paying out at all.

Who wants to bet their childrens' inheritance it won't happen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

The list of treatments you can no longer get on the NHS will just grow and grow as prices rise and rise.

I absolutely agree this is what will happen. More and more procedures will not be covered, and more and more treatments will be beyond budget.

All I'm saying is, it will be the usual 'death by a thousand cuts' rather than anything swift.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Or perhaps the list of new treatments that become available will not grow for the NHS, but will grow for private patients. That seems more likely to me. A bare bones NHS and a fancy expensive private system for wealthy, conservative voter, types.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Or perhaps the list of new treatments that become available will not grow for the NHS, but will grow for private patients. That seems more likely to me. A bare bones NHS and a fancy expensive private system for wealthy, conservative voter, types.

I would say the most likely is not one or the other, but both. As more and more conservative voters retreat from using the NHS, it will become politically easier to give it funding increases below the rate of healthcare inflation, ergo a shrunken menu at the NHS and an expanded one via private providers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bickster said:

There's no such thing

Is the new UK passport blue? Or is the colour really closer to black?

The Home Office has issued pictures of the post-Brexit passport, describing it as a return to the "iconic blue" used for UK passports before 1988.

Experts in the science of colour - and instant experts on social media - are unconvinced, saying they look more like black.

But a Home Office spokesman says the colours of both the old and new passports are shades of blue.

"I'd say it's black," says Stephen Westland, professor of colour science and technology at the University of Leeds.

Link

B73-FD505-DA74-4861-8-B61-4988-A30-F3-FC

Edited by Genie

Â