The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I have been saying for a while that this is how it would play out. The U.K. will not put a border inside it’s own country regardless of what the withdrawal agreement says. It’s going to be a problem for the EU to have to resolve. 

Boris Johnson is drawing up legislation that will override the Brexit withdrawal agreement on Northern Ireland, a move that threatens the collapse of crunch talks which the prime minister has said must be completed within five weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/06/five-weeks-clinch-brexit-deal-uk-move-boris-johnson-to-say

It seems like far too obvious a question... but if the deals were “easiest in history” and “oven ready” .... why haven’t they been implemented? 
Someone should be sacked or worse for the catalogue of lies around vote leave.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It seems like far too obvious a question... but if the deals were “easiest in history” and “oven ready” .... why haven’t they been implemented? 
Someone should be sacked or worse for the catalogue of lies around vote leave.

I think the word you’re looking for is prosecuted, unfortunately our laws in this area aren’t robust enough and our relevant bodies aren’t tough enough 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

The withdrawal agreement was implemented. It is current UK law.

The noise today is about changing the law because they've decided they don't like the thing they agreed last time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

why haven’t they been implemented?

The Withdrawal Agreement is in place - we're in the transtition period.

From Jan 1st, parts of the agreement are due to be in place (NI protocol) and there are supposed to be discussions now about how this takes place.

This talk is about reneging on the agreement that is already in place, the agreement on which the Tory party won the election and for which all of the current Tory MPs voted when Parliament passed the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The noise today is about changing the law because they've decided they don't like the thing they agreed last time.

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The Withdrawal Agreement is in place - we're in the transtition period.

From Jan 1st, parts of the agreement are due to be in place (NI protocol) and there are supposed to be discussions now about how this takes place.

This talk is about reneging on the agreement that is already in place, the agreement on which the Tory party won the election and for which all of the current Tory MPs voted when Parliament passed the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020.

I interpreted these claims about deals oven ready, easy deals to be the long term trade agreements and relationship with the EU. The ones that we’ve spent the best part of 4 years failing to get very far with, and the ones were having round 8 of discussions about this week. A lot of people voted leave because of promises no deal was extremely unlikely.

I think a lot of people heard an awful lot of wish lists and lies and projected their own interpretation on to it.

Fair play, one of the biggest cons in history.

Buckle up fellas, it’s going to be a bumpy ride. Hopefully you’ve all taken the obvious precaution of being disaster capitalists with offshore accounts?

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Yeah, you probably shouldn't have.

Why not?

Coming to a free trade agreement with the EU should be "one of the easiest in human history" - International Trade Secretary Liam Fox

Do we have one? nope.
Are we close? nope.

Are we talking about walking away from the negotiation table without a free trade agreement? Yes

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I think they are more cynical than that. The government signed off on whatever it needed to to actually move to the next stage. It had no intention of actually implementing it though. 

Did I hear Demonic Raaaaaaaaab saying one of the two major sticking points was state bailouts of businesses?

These are the Tories? Who’ve never been in favour of such action anyway. Why would free marketeers want to prop up failing businesses? 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

I interpreted these claims about deals oven ready, easy deals to be the long term trade agreements and relationship with the EU.

The oven ready nonsense was about the withdrawal agreement; the 'easy deals' stuff was about both the withdrawal agrement and the long term trade arrangements.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did I hear Demonic Raaaaaaaaab saying one of the two major sticking points was state bailouts of businesses?

I can’t remember where I read it but it was saying one of the main sticking points was allowing the EU access to fish British waters. It went on to say it made almost no difference to our economy but was one of the main arguments to leave in the first place.

So, yep, let’s nuke the economy, go back on several other agreements to protect something that barely makes any difference to the people of the UK.

Â