Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

Firing replacements is only good if you appoint better suited and qualified people in their place...same as selling players and replacing them with rubbish ones not up to this level as we've seen on the grass.

Faulkner was not qualified to be a chief exec of a football club and neither was Fox so I really want to see someone who's been a chief exec of a previous club appointed next, same if we're going to get another sporting director in.

Can't see us getting them due to our upcoming demotion but Nicola Cortese as chief executive and Dan Ashworth as director of football would be perfect, both showed at the previous clubs they were employed they were very very good at their jobs so if we ever want to compete near the top end of the premier league again sometime in the distant future, that's the calibre we'll need.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If Hollis makes the right call and gets rid of the likes of Fox, Riley and Almstadt he is half way there. Maybe just maybe his brief is to make the right calls. Hollis has never suggested he is 'football man' but what he might be is someone who can make the dispassionate decisions. The real test will be who he brings in to replace them. We are very ready to have a go at Lerner with loads of justification but I am happy to wait and see what he actually does. I was initially critical of his appointment but thinking about it what have we got to lose?

Our place in the Championship?

3 hours ago, KHV said:

Your wrong there, what he has done is appoint a chairman who presides over the board and who checks that the people responsible for the day to day running of the club are doing a good job and a proper job. The buck stops with the CEO and his decisions and appointments.

What Hollis has done so far is to look at what has gone on and to asses why we are in this position, he has found that what we did was fundamentally flawed and detrimental to AVFC. The people responsible were Sherwood to an extent and he has already gone, the others responsible are Reilly, Almstadt and Fox and if we are led to believe they will be rightly relieved of their duties. Hollis has done so far what looks like a good job to be honest. King will be keeping an eye on the finances which I think is a good thing as he is certainly qualified for that. A chairman does not have to be strictly a football man, he just needs to keep an eye on the people running the club. Seems to me that Fox, Almstadt and Reilly were simply going a long and totally mismanaging key areas of the club without really having anyone keep them in check or questioning what they were doing.

The real test is due when Fox is replaced but I have to be honest and say Hollis is doing okay so far and it's important to remember he didn't create any of this mess so let's give him a chance

'Asses' are very much why we're in this position :D

Good post TBH.

It worries me that so many are greeting Hollis' reported plan to clear out Fox, Reilly, and Almstadt as such good news.  Can you name three people he could decide to let go that would be a lousy idea?  He could almost pick three names out of a hat and people would be supporting the decision just because we are pretty well fed up and mad at everybody right now.  It is really all three?  It seems that a good investigation would be likely to reveal who led the parade of errors and who was dissenting.  This just seems like a "throw the lot of em out" reaction.

I think that IF he is really planning to do this.... he does a better job of keeping secrets in the future.  Letting people know you will fire them in a few months is not a great motivation to keep them focused on doing the best they can in the meantime.  And that IF he is really planning to do this... it's because he has a better plan, not just a "throw some scapegoat red meat to the angry fans" and then carry on.

• Like 3

I wouldn't sack Fox but I'd get rid of Almstadt and Reilly. Let Fox stick to the money side of things and get someone in who has a football background and hopefully a connection to the club. I think we have bought fairly well last year but we never created a squad with enough experience and know how to play this league. The new foreign players needed a stronger experienced contingent to help them settle never mind the biggest player we needed to replace Benteke they never got close to so for that they deserve to be sacked. I know they were Fox's appointment but he needs to stick to the commercial side and ket football people run the football side. Hopefully Hollis is a lot better at hiring the right staff and getting a football person in should be his first job. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I think we have bought fairly well last year

We signed 12 first team players, Ayew has been okay, Amavi showed promise. The other 10 have been shit. I would call it a total disaster and the league table is in agreement

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KHV said:

We signed 12 first team players, Ayew has been okay, Amavi showed promise. The other 10 have been shit. I would call it a total disaster and the league table is in agreement

Yep well done for taking a small point when I actually explained my view. It's a disaster because they never built a squad that's why I said Reilly and Almstadt should go. Congratulations again. 

• Like 1

On 03/03/2016 at 16:43, dounavilla said:

I have decided to email Hollis with my suggestions for replacemnts, if we act swiftly we may secure all three.

CEO: Charley Sheen

SPORTING DIRECTOR: Freddie  (from Rod,Janet & Freddie)

CHIEF SCOUT: Muhammad Shahid Nazir (£1 fish singer)

Sorry mate but you got that all wrong. The people we need to be recruiting are:-

CEO - Andy 'the viking' Fordham 

SPORTING DIRECTOR - Sweet Brown 'aint nobody got time for that'

CHIEF SCOUT - Guy Goma

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

All of next seasons transfer budget will be used to pay them off.

Tbf I think what we save on n'zgobia over next season will just about cover shifting almstadt and riley. Just fox's pay off, hopefully, that we have to find. Just another in a long line of the clubs financial cock ups. And to think Lerner's background is in banking. Come to think of it explains a lot!

On 04/03/2016 at 09:15, KHV said:

Your wrong there, what he has done is appoint a chairman who presides over the board and who checks that the people responsible for the day to day running of the club are doing a good job and a proper job. The buck stops with the CEO and his decisions and appointments.

What Hollis has done so far is to look at what has gone on and to asses why we are in this position, he has found that what we did was fundamentally flawed and detrimental to AVFC. The people responsible were Sherwood to an extent and he has already gone, the others responsible are Reilly, Almstadt and Fox and if we are led to believe they will be rightly relieved of their duties. Hollis has done so far what looks like a good job to be honest. King will be keeping an eye on the finances which I think is a good thing as he is certainly qualified for that. A chairman does not have to be strictly a football man, he just needs to keep an eye on the people running the club. Seems to me that Fox, Almstadt and Reilly were simply going a long and totally mismanaging key areas of the club without really having anyone keep them in check or questioning what they were doing.

The real test is due when Fox is replaced but I have to be honest and say Hollis is doing okay so far and it's important to remember he didn't create any of this mess so let's give him a chance

Not so. The buck now stops with Hollis.

I suppose I can see that Hollis and King have been here for so short a time that they haven't attracted much blame for the position we are in. (Although Hollis's clampdown on spending on transfers in January did condemn us to shameful relegation surrender without even giving it a fight.)

So people are maybe hanging on to the hope that they will save us the way drowning people will clutch onto the last couple of floating straws.

I don't think it will be too long before they are regarded with the same sort of despair as everyone else who has let the club down, from owner to players.

Â