Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

On 06/03/2016 at 11:31, HAL said:

there is more than one quote on this board about how hollis stopped some of the transfer due to the fees and the fact they didnt want to take the risk of spending cash and then being relegated

Source?

Lee Preece writing a letter back to a fan returning his season ticket in process.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2016/03/12/angry-villa-fan-returns-season-ticket-and-club-sends-it-back/

Roger Wheeler, who lives in Dudley, found out he could not even give away his season tickets for the club, which is now looking a certainty to be relegated out of football’s top flight for the first time in 30 years.

Mr Wheeler was so angered by Villa’s demise that he posted off his and his uncle’s season cards to new chairman Steve Hollis, together with an angry letter.

“We refuse to support the demise of the great historical football club any longer, so enclosed are our season tickets for return and in all honesty to show our disgust at the laughing stock that our club has become.”

He added: “Until there is some direction and ambition shown, we no longer wish to attend Villa Park... the waste of money in returning our tickets does not bother us, this is about principle.”

However, much to his annoyance, he found he was unable to hand back his season tickets because the club promptly posted them back to him days later, together with a letter of their own.

In it, Villa’s football operations and projects manager Lee Preece says: “We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to correspond and your support during these difficult times. We return your season cards (enclosed).”

Mr Wheeler told the Express & Star: “To see the club you love with a real passion become a sham is hard to take in truth.”

Aston Villa fans began to stage walk-outs in protest at club officials. Thousands of disenchanted fans left the stadium as part of the Out The Door On 74 campaign as they lost 3-1 to Everton.

Owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Tom Fox were the subject of hostile chants before the mass exodus. Fans say they will walk out again on Sunday against Spurs.

letter.jpg

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Source?

I think that's just wild speculation, from what I gather funds were available, the goalkeeper deal was agreed but his permit was blocked and I believe the striker we wanted simply did not want to join the club. I think there was a quote from Hollis that basically said we were not going to throw money away anymore and that we would be more careful in our transfer approach but I haven't seen any source that said Hollis point blank refused transfer funds. I think that was pure speculation based on Holiis's previous jobs to be honest and the fear he was a cost cutter

Nothing. But at the same time there's nothing to celebrate. 

Well they've done something, so they have, by your own criteria exceeded your expectations.

They have made some appointments that, to me, point to a willingness to change the culture at the club.

Nothing to celebrate indeed, but it does perhaps give fans a sign that at least there is some willingness to change. And hopefully for the better.

It's very much in the 'we'll see' category.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Well they've done something, so they have, by your own criteria exceeded your expectations.

They have made some appointments that, to me, point to a willingness to change the culture at the club.

Nothing to celebrate indeed, but it does perhaps give fans a sign that at least there is some willingness to change. And hopefully for the better.

It's very much in the 'we'll see' category.

But what's different? 

When Lambert was appointed people said it indicated change. The same was said when Fox was hired and once again with Garde. 

There are the odd things that look promising on paper but every single decision made by the club over the last 5 years has done nothing to stop the decline. 

But what's different? 

When Lambert was appointed people said it indicated change. The same was said when Fox was hired and once again with Garde. 

There are the odd things that look promising on paper but every single decision made by the club over the last 5 years has done nothing to stop the decline. 

I understand your cynicism. I share it somewhat.

But for me, part of the reason why the club has been a joke is that all the decisions have been made by the wrong people and the evidence is there for all to see.

I was flippant about it in the past, as in, how does it make a difference? But if the people who are scrutinising the running of the club are experts in inheriting a billion dollars and a military hero, you're in trouble. We're in trouble.

Having 'football' people and 'money' people on the board will help.

I hope.

I think Steve Hollis deserves a bit of credit. He's tarred with being a non-football man hired by Lerner. 

If he had been appointed by a new owner and then subsequently brought in Mervyn King, David Bernstein and Brian Little, whilst seemingly looking to get rid of Reilly and Fox, we'd all be praising the good moves made by the new guy and his team.

Fact is, the decision making buck now stops with Hollis, with Randy falling evermore into the distance. The fact is that Lerner is an imbecile and doesn't really know what he should, and could, be expecting to achieve for every penny invested into a football club. A man like David Bernstein certainly does. If he, King and Hollis can work together properly, it's not improbable that the club and manager can start to get more out of whatever amount the club can spend.

For the first time in ages, we may have someone that can make a proper case to the chairman on when and how best to invest money into the team. Obviously it's too little, too late to do anything to save this season, but the priority has to gear us up for an immediate return to the top flight. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I think Steve Hollis deserves a bit of credit. He's tarred with being a non-football man hired by Lerner. 

If he had been appointed by a new owner and then subsequently brought in Mervyn King, David Bernstein and Brian Little, whilst seemingly looking to get rid of Reilly and Fox, we'd all be praising the good moves made by the new guy and his team.

Fact is, the decision making buck now stops with Hollis, with Randy falling evermore into the distance. The fact is that Lerner is an imbecile and doesn't really know what he should, and could, be expecting to achieve for every penny invested into a football club. A man like David Bernstein certainly does. If he, King and Hollis can work together properly, it's not improbable that the club and manager can start to get more out of whatever amount the club can spend.

For the first time in ages, we may have someone that can make a proper case to the chairman on when and how best to invest money into the team. Obviously it's too little, too late to do anything to save this season, but the priority has to gear us up for an immediate return to the top flight. 

But you've forgot one simple issue. There is no money to be invested.

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Too true unfortunately, but I still think that Hollis has seemingly made some decent decisions in his short time here. 

If he wasn't Lerner's chairman, he'd get a bit more credit.

On 3/12/2016 at 20:28, foreveryoung said:

not necessarily true...the lack of spending in jan seemed more down to acceptance of our fate than money not being there as disappointing as that still is

another big decision today, although same as everything in the last 10 years, only as good as the bloke we replace him with...

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

not necessarily true...the lack of spending in jan seemed more down to acceptance of our fate than money not being there as disappointing as that still is

another big decision today, although same as everything in the last 10 years, only as good as the bloke we replace him with...

What was the big decision?

On 3/10/2016 at 16:25, DCJonah said:

And Hollis and the new board members have done nothing so far. 

Nonsense.  At a minimum they made several announcements about intention in January.  Also in January, they decided not to spend good money after bad.  They have decided to let Almtedt go.  They have appointed new members and advisors.  If rumors are to believed, they will be letting Fox go soon.   Whether you or I approve of any of those moves is arguable, but to say they have done nothing is just purely nonsense.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Nonsense.  At a minimum they made several announcements about intention in January.  Also in January, they decided not to spend good money after bad.  They have decided to let Almtedt go.  They have appointed new members and advisors.  If rumors are to believed, they will be letting Fox go soon.   Whether you or I approve of any of those moves is arguable, but to say they have done nothing is just purely nonsense.

I didn't literally mean they've done nothing. I'm not under the impression that they spend hours a day sitting still in a chair. 

In the context of the discussion I was having they've done nothing worthy of praise or credit. 

However now Almstadt has been sacked I'll give credit for that decision. 

• Like 1

My sole judgment on Hollis' tenure will be based on whether Fox has a job come the summer. 

Im hoping the only reason he is STILL here is because he has a relegation clause in his contract whereby he doesn't get paid off, or leaves at a reduced amount.

5 hours ago, pas5898 said:

My sole judgment on Hollis' tenure will be based on whether Fox has a job come the summer. 

Im hoping the only reason he is STILL here is because he has a relegation clause in his contract whereby he doesn't get paid off, or leaves at a reduced amount.

Our judgement should be, how we are set up for the begining of the Championship season. Will there be money to spend, who will be manager, what players can we keep. All be down to Hollis for me.

I just don't think the board at the moment has the football experience to understand how difficult its going to be in the fizzy pop league. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Or else the board will ask him to concentrate on the commercial aspect of the club only and utilise the likes of Little and Bernstein to take care of the football/sporting aspects of the club (or appoint someone capable of doing it on their behalf). Surely Fox must have some strengths in this role to have got the job at Arsenal?

• Like 1

Â