Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

One point, which is important in context whether the story is true or not, is that charities ship clothing to third world countries much more reluctantly these days. People in those countries complain - with real justification - that dumping free stuff from westerners destroys native garment industries. No charity would want to take 40,000 shirts off our hands anyway. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Sounds odd to me.

In my experience the club don't buy the shirts.  They make a forecast to the supplier, in this case Macron, who will marry that up against other clubs they work with to see if the numbers make sense.  They'll look at their own retail channels to see what demand there might be (for instance Nike have good relationships with the likes of Sports Direct, plus their own retail stores) and work out the right number to produce.

The club, typically, would buy enough shirts for their own outlets (two stores plus online) and would receive for free (or heavily discounted) the products required for the teams and staff at all levels. This is the important part - all other shirts to be sold are owned, distributed and managed by the supplier, Macron.  Everything they sell will see a royalty being paid to the club.

I've never, ever heard of a club buying their own replica shirts for sale outside of their own stores - at least not on a scale like this.  As this is Villa it could be some sort of shonky deal we've signed up for and I could be wrong, but in my experience this would be a completely unique, and somewhat bizarre, scenario.

PS - good luck fitting 40,000 shirts in two skips...  That's the entire stock of around 5 large, single-storey retail stores.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

One point, which is important in context whether the story is true or not, is that charities ship clothing to third world countries much more reluctantly these days. People in those countries complain - with real justification - that dumping free stuff from westerners destroys native garment industries. No charity would want to take 40,000 shirts off our hands anyway. 

Get outa here. Population of 6illion world wide I doubt 40k shirts would destroy native garment industries. 

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Sounds odd to me.

In my experience the club don't buy the shirts.  They make a forecast to the supplier, in this case Macron, who will marry that up against other clubs they work with to see if the numbers make sense.  They'll look at their own retail channels to see what demand there might be (for instance Nike have good relationships with the likes of Sports Direct, plus their own retail stores) and work out the right number to produce.

The club, typically, would buy enough shirts for their own outlets (two stores plus online) and would receive for free (or heavily discounted) the products required for the teams and staff at all levels. This is the important part - all other shirts to be sold are owned, distributed and managed by the supplier, Macron.  Everything they sell will see a royalty being paid to the club.

I've never, ever heard of a club buying their own replica shirts for sale outside of their own stores - at least not on a scale like this.  As this is Villa it could be some sort of shonky deal we've signed up for and I could be wrong, but in my experience this would be a completely unique, and somewhat bizarre, scenario.

PS - good luck fitting 40,000 shirts in two skips...  That's the entire stock of around 5 large, single-storey retail stores.

This all makes sense, the initial outrage blinded me to the logistics of it.

However there's a chance it is somewhat true, the sort of thing that gets passed on between a few people and vastly exaggerated. I doubt they'd start a huge fire in a skip and burn polyester behind the club shop, but maybe they sent it all to a proper place to be incinerated. Maybe it was 4,000 shirts instead of 40,000, and it was in storage at the manufacturers factory in China or wherever Macron shirts are made.

Maybe it was all bollocks though, who knows.

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Get outa here. Population of 6illion world wide I doubt 40k shirts would destroy native garment industries. 

I'm going to do the decent thing and allow you to work out for yourself why that's a really silly comment. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm going to do the decent thing and allow you to work out for yourself why that's a really silly comment. 

That is very courteous of you but I didn't really need to state that not all 6 billion people suffer from poverty did I? 

I'd rather you explain if that's ok?

edit: let me just add I could probably hand out 40k shirts my self to friends and family back in India knowing 100% for a fact it would not hurt any industry. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

However there's a chance it is somewhat true, the sort of thing that gets passed on between a few people and vastly exaggerated. I doubt they'd start a huge fire in a skip and burn polyester behind the club shop, but maybe they sent it all to a proper place to be incinerated. Maybe it was 4,000 shirts instead of 40,000, and it was in storage at the manufacturers factory in China or wherever Macron shirts are made.

They'd sell them to somwhere like TK Maxx at the end of the season before they'd torch them.  It'd be a last resort, and quite a few months later than now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Maybe they folded the 40,000 shirts really neatly, like in Gap, to fit them in the skips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think they would complain more that they were given this season's Villa shirts.

9 minutes ago, coda said:

Maybe they folded the 40,000 shirts really neatly, like in Gap, to fit them in the skips.

Maybe there was a complete ballsup at the order stage and they ordered 40000 of the 'midget with really long arm' variant. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Still waiting to hear why this is such a silly comment. Please educate me. 

How will I learn otherwise?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â